Batman Arkham City

Andrew

really been looking forward to this having devoured Arkham Asylum and Im sure Ill love the game when the preorder drops through my door

however Warner Brothers have revealed that the much publicised feature of catwoman being involved in and playable as part of the story for the main game is actually an "online pass" feature meaning a 25 digit code and 250Mb download has to happen before you can actually play the full game.

this also means used buyers will have to pay an extra £10 to get the full game experience.

this is BULLSHIT I can get the "justification" of other companies like EA doing this for online play or whatever with the server maintainence excuse but this is utter bollocks in a single player game with no multi or online play at all, its simply withholding content to squeeze some more money out of the market. add this to the already planned/finished robin AND nightwing DLCs on the way in the first month AND new DLC Batman skins also coming shortly after the games release and my anticipation of the game is being utterly destroyed :(

did I say that somewhere? I care about charging for content that should be in the game anyway

Catwoman isnt "challenge rooms and character skins" shes part of the story, has missions, is an important character, Ive played the damn game already and you get a different start to the story if you dont put in a 25 digit code or fork out an extra £10 if you buy it used

the game was designed, written and made with catwoman in the story and then she was withdrawn to become part of the pass content, that isnt online pass = extra content thats taking out normal content if you dont have the pass, the game doesnt have online play, what possible justification beyond money grabbing is there for moves like this?

same thing will happen to those renting the game too, evne though the devs and studios obviously get paid by the rent retailer for the privilege of being able to rent out games

did I say that somewhere? I care about charging for content that should be in the game anyway

Catwoman isnt "challenge rooms and character skins" shes part of the story, has missions, is an important character, Ive played the damn game already and you get a different start to the story if you dont put in a 25 digit code or fork out an extra £10 if you buy it used

the game was designed, written and made with catwoman in the story and then she was withdrawn to become part of the pass content, that isnt online pass = extra content thats taking out normal content if you dont have the pass, the game doesnt have online play, what possible justification beyond money grabbing is there for moves like this?

I'm not on about the Catwoman DLC which I'm well aware about and disagree with, just your last line. Should have quoted that specific sentence, apologies.

And fair enough if you care about challenge rooms and skins. Personally I don't, having them or not having them hasn't affected my anticipation of the title.

its not having them or not that I care about, its that theyve clearly got plenty of ways lined up to make money out of the game after the initial purchase which are all perfectly reasonable (ie skins or extra challenge maps) that people dont necessarily need, its the withdrawal of content that was always intended and designed to be in the game to try and squeeze more out of people which rankles with me, as someone studying game design and hoping to get into the industry things like that bother me as its decisions being made without consideration of the actual person playing the game.

Unfortunately as soon as one started charging and the game kept selling every other game which has a high reputation is going to copy. EA Sports just used the "server upkeep" as an excuse to charge the extra money for online play etc (Much the same way Llambias used the pitch invasion to as an excuse to charge away supporters more to go to away games)

Now other developers are gonna take things which were meant for the full game and take them out of the game and charge for it, so they get money from when people buy games second hand

Now other developers are gonna take things which were meant for the full game and take them out of the game and charge for it, so they get money from when people buy games second hand

Publisher, not developer. Devs have no say in this. Worth pointing out.

A distinction that really needs to be made, and why I hate EA and Warner Bros rather than Bioware or Rocksteady :razz:

Publisher, not developer. Devs have no say in this. Worth pointing out.

Divnt really care tbh not bothered in the differences between them and never have, just generalised the whole thing

Batman: Arkham City Launch Plagued By DLC Issues

Tom Hopkins

US gamers experience problems with codes.

Published on Oct 19, 2011

Batman: Arkham City's launch in the US yesterday didn't go quite as smoothly as Warner Bros. might have liked after numerous gamers reported problems with the Catwoman online pass and Robin DLC codes.

According to the official forums players have received blank code vouchers, multiple copies of the same code, missing codes and non-working Robin DLC codes.

Reports on the game’s official forums range from receiving blank code slips for the Catwomanscoring multiple copies of the same code but missing others; and activation failure of Robin DLC codes.

The Arkham City twitter promises updates on Catwoman imminently, while the Robin codes issue seems to have been sorted.

Day one DLC and Pass issues ( :glare: )

hopefully all to be resolved by the time we get our hands on the game this week though the blank code vouchers thing is worrying since copies are alreadys printed packed and shipped here anyway and since my copy was shipped on monday

Edited by Semimental

Arrived and installing as I type

then its just popping in my 3(!!!) codes to get the game to the state its meant to be in wait for them to download (unless theyre on disc) and then Ill probably have to go to uni before I get to play it

they wanted to do something to get the movie version out of peoples heads I guess, hes voiced by Nolan North which means there isnt a single game series he hasnt featured in at some point since the dawn of time

it was only speculation mind you, I know that was their motivation for Mr Freeze, they really wanted to move peoples idea of him away from Schwarzenegger

incredibly minor spoiler that doesnt really mean much below

and theyre all sayin Ra's al ghuls name wrong which is bugging me

Is it any good though? In less than 3 weeks I will be free from exams and tempted to get it immediately (instead of wait for xmas).

I must be the only person to actually like Nolan North in games.

I never said I dont like Nolan North, hes a good voice actor,

and yes it is, though I seem to have finished the main story already, its shorter than AA though there is a lot more side stuff

Is it any good though?

You've not noticed any of the reviews it's got?

sorry tec, shall we all just sit quietly rather than actually talk to one another about these things? pretty sure no exclusives have come out on the TT gaming forum so we may as well all go elsewhere right? :razz:

Just finished now. Canny game. Not done any side quests but It's about the same length as AA, from what I remember of it. The Penguin thing didn't bother me, it's not like the game is meant to be canon.

The last voicemail over the credits is fucking great. Especially as it's Hamill's last Joker performance.