More Respect for MA?

JawD

Was on the news this morning that Pardew is asking for more respect to be given to MA for what he is doing with the club. the reporter stated that this came from Pardew and not MA. At the game MA was only stating that they are all working hard to make the club "healthier".

As we have some heavy critics of all that MA does here (myself included), Im wondering if anyone is softening in their option of the way the club is being ran?

Many have and still do state that you cannot run a football club in a healthy way and that debts must be racked up if we are to compete on any level or even survive in this league. I have noticed critics start to warm to the clubs approach and start to think that just maybe it is possible if done right.

Many of us have said that while it is ok and "lucky" to find one Tiote we would need to invest heavy to keep finding that caliber of player. However now we have Cabaye and Ba who both were "cheap" in comparison to todays market as well as Ben Arfa. The downside is that many state we are only doing this to sell them on. Yet, AC aside, we havent sold a single one of these recent purchases for a large profit. Many said Tiote would go in the last window but stayed. Many said Jonas would be and colo but both are still here.

Then we have the problem of when a player does sign a new contract we state it is only so the club can command a higher transfer fee. It seems like no matter what the club do we go out of our way to find the negative slant.

As for my opinion, I'm still on a knife edge. I always feel that for every good move the club do there is a disaster pending. At the moment my concern is squad depth. I think we need that elusive forward to play with Ba / Ben Arfa and we need a center half to support Colo and Taylor.

I can almost ignore the billy sticker view of the ground when what matters is what happens on the pitch and currently everything is rosy.

The mission statement while offering nothing new showed that from next year the club hopes to be breaking even.

I dunno, I dislike MA but I feel I have a hatred to DL. MA I can see is trying to run the club like Sports Direct which has worked for him. But DL I just see as a sleazy untrustworthy henchman. It is harder to give them stick at this moment in time while things are going well and at least they are not getting ahead of themselves. We all know that we will slowly drop down the table but Id be pleased still being top half come next year.

At what point do we get behind MA and what he is doing or do we remain permanently sceptical until the day he sells?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's obvious to everyone that mistakes have been made in the past, it's imperative that those mistakes are not repeated in the future.

We can go on and on about what a cunt Ashley has been in the past but I'm really only concerned about what is happening now and in the future.

We've got a decent squad together at the moment but I don't believe that it's anything more than decent. A reasonable amount of investment could see us kick on and able to challenge for Europe but I don't hold out much hope that we'll see that investment.

At the moment I'm happy with our progression and hope to see more of it in the near future.

Edited by ewerk

True to a sense. That comes down to Pardew, the coaches and players themselves. But then does that mean that us reaching the champions league had nowt to do with the previous owners? The owner gives the manager the tools (or takes them away) so "some" degree of blame or credit has to be given. To me, relegation was all down to MA. Not the players. He fucked around with managers making some mental decisions giving us one of the most unsettled periods I can remember. I dont blame KK or even Fat Sam. Certainly not Shearer. The other twat was just a shite appointment.

True to a sense. That comes down to Pardew, the coaches and players themselves. But then does that mean that us reaching the champions league had nowt to do with the previous owners?

Well, I wouldn't compare us lying fourth after eight games with reaching the Champions League. If we reach the Champions League I'll give Ashley some credit. Maybe.

While I'm delighted with how we're doing I think I'd need to see the formula work reasonably well for two or three seasons before I thought he'd 'cracked it'. That's not taking anything away from Pardew, the coaches or the players but having one decent season and a good start to this one doesn't mean the formula can work in the long run. Especially with the high turnover of players. I think someone pointed out how few of the first teamers have been here more than 2 years. Basically it's about delivering 'success' (tangible success is hard to come by though) and continuing to take the team forward from the side that came up. If he can keep doing that then no one can complain. Early days yet though (I know he's been here quite a long time btw).

I'm hoping that if we're in a healthy league position come January, then Ashley might start seeing Champions League/Europe dollars and invest gamble a bit in the hope we can push on and get in one of those competitions. Extremely unlikely though I know.

Hate to do a Leazes, but think it's a valid comparison that's not been made endlessly before, so...

Shepherd was forgiven all of his sins as long as we were up there. But the terminal decline from the moment Souness was appointed meant the grumbling grew and grew. I never liked or respected the bloke when we were doing well, but I'm happy to put up with a slimy cunt of a man if the club is ran properly.

I'm sure there'll be less complaining if Ashley is able to run a club sustaining this form, and I won't begrudge praising that success in the least if it happens, but there'll never be any respect for the man from me. He's an awful person and if we were to reach the champions league then those Sports Direct signs would be all the more embarrassing on an international scale.

He's an awful person and if we were to reach the champions league then those Sports Direct signs would be all the more embarrassing on an international scale.

They'd probably have to come down.

Not a chance. This 'ohh respect Mike or he'll not put his hand in his pocket, you naughty, stupid Geordies, stop singing nasty songs about our saviour and buy more shirts by the way' shit that's been coming from Dekka and Pardew is cringeworthy in the extreme.

Hate to do a Leazes, but think it's a valid comparison that's not been made endlessly before, so...

Shepherd was forgiven all of his sins as long as we were up there. But the terminal decline from the moment Souness was appointed meant the grumbling grew and grew. I never liked or respected the bloke when we were doing well, but I'm happy to put up with a slimy cunt of a man if the club is ran properly.

I'm sure there'll be less complaining if Ashley is able to run a club sustaining this form, and I won't begrudge praising that success in the least if it happens, but there'll never be any respect for the man from me. He's an awful person and if we were to reach the champions league then those Sports Direct signs would be all the more embarrassing on an international scale.

I think this is the thing for me. Its a bit like LM rightly points out. No one was having a go at Freddy for the way he ran the club when we were in Europe, only when the wheel came off. So I suspect the same for the current lot is true. They deserve every spit of abuse they have had but perhaps with some sustained good fortune on the pitch over a couple of seasons people may start to ignore the short comings. Its what happens on the pitch thats most important after all.

I still cannot get past the feeling though that there is a fuck up around the corner. Like letting colo go as he wanted too much and waiting 2 windows to replace him (for example). If we do finish top 10 this season, its whether he would support Pardew to push further or whether his spending and rules restriction would strangulate us preventing improving much past mid table.

Who knows.

You have to give Ashley credit for hiring Pardew and for putting considerable faith in the judgement of Graham Carr.

We seem to be the only club that is putting together a strategy for the financial fair play rules.

There is no doubt about it the anti-Ashley protests and no doubt the recession, has turn NUFC from a play thing to a business in his eyes.

:lo

Leazes is gonna go thermonuclear when he reads this.

Typing with one hand aloft a pool of molten metal, like the end scene of T2.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We seem to be the only club that is putting together a strategy for the financial fair play rules.

We'd be run the same way regardless of the fair play rules tbf. Ashley simply wants a club that he no longer needs to fund.

We have done well despite Ashley not because of him. Imagine what we may have been able to achieve had he backed Pardew properly, by that I dont mean blowing £50m on Messi but good sensible purchases of established players to give a good balance with the younger foreign lads and ensuring we have a squad capable of covering injuries, suspensions etc.

Its still early days, 8 games in and we're definitely doing better than last season but theres a long way to go and halfway through it is a transfer window which has the potential to break our season in one quick sale. Sell the likes of Colo and not only does it seriously weaken the defence but does untold damage to morale overall.

I cant ever imagine forgiving Ashley, getting rid of Llambias would be a good start toward me forgetting some of the ills hes brought us.

I should be thanking him really. He's made me realise it's just as enjoyable and a lot less stressful not actually going to the matches. Cheers, Mike.

We took a fella to the game yesterday who hadn't been since '72. He only went then for a ruck as he's an old skinhead. He enjoyed it loads...more the drink before and after, but i think he was spoiled by one of the better games (or second halves) we've seen for a while. Think he'll be after a half season ticket ;)

46k against Spurs when we're in 4th suggests that not as many people are as forgiving as us on Toontastic. Same against Blackburn and Arsenal, so it looks like we're struggling to attract more than the hardcore. 42k for Fulham mostly down to few travelling. .

Edited by Happy Face

Nah, no respect from me like. As has been said, our start to this season has been despite Mike Ashley and not because of him. If people are happy with this now then they're in for a treat for the rest of his tenure here! it's just going to be season after season of not pushing the boat out and being content with mid table mediocrity.

Whilst I'm not saying we should go out and spend £30m on a player but I'd like to see us show some sort of ambition, at the moment I don't think we have any!