Perhaps we need another quality CD in Jan rather than a striker.

Park Life

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonas, R Taylor and Best all experiencing the 'Pardew effect' imo.

I still don't think Raylor and Best are anything more than championship players tbh.

I know it's a strange concept for us but it is possible that players improve whilst being under contract with us. Unusual I know but still possible.

Not going to argue against the pov too much other than to say that's harsh on Taylor given his contributions this season as he hasn't done much wrong and played well on Sunday. Best will be judged on goals but i thought some of his hold up play on Sunday was spot on.

I still don't think Raylor and Best are anything more than championship players tbh.

I know it's a strange concept for us but it is possible that players improve whilst being under contract with us. Unusual I know but still possible.

Not going to argue against the pov too much other than to say that's harsh on Taylor given his contributions this season as he hasn't done much wrong and played well on Sunday. Best will be judged on goals but i thought some of his hold up play on Sunday was spot on.

I'll be happy to admit it if our players do improve but I really don't see it happening with these two. Taylor has scored a couple of important goals but we've been fortunate on a number of occassions not to have been punished when he's been tortured down the wing. He's done a lot better than I expected, I'm happy to give him that and I don't want to be too harsh on him as hes playing out of position but the simple fact is we need better. He's not really been any worse than Simpson like.

As for Best I just don't think he's got any real strengths for a top class striker. He can jump well but his heading is more often than not poor and his hold up play isn't bad when he actually gets the ball but he plays the game on his heels all of the time and his anticipation is awful so he's prevented from getting balls that he really should. Again we need better and surely in Ben Arfa we have better?

Thats fair on Taylor, he has been shocking in the past so he needs a concerted upturn in form to be considered a proper first 11 player rather than a stop gap.

I think Ba is better playing deeper from what i have seen so am not sure how Ben Arfa fits without someone like Best or Shola in front of him. Thats not to say Ba cant play as an out and out striker, i just get the impression he seem more lively and effective getting the ball deep.

As soon as Colo & Taylor get injured were fucked. A CD & FB would be nice.

As soon as Colo and Taylor get fucked?

Anyone losing both their first choice centre halves simultaneously are going to be in the shit tbh.

:unsure2:

Well yes, but, other teams do have some cover to limit the damage.

As do we, outside Man U and City and possibly Chelsea, who has anything like the quality of their starters to come in though ??

Even the top teams will struggle-ish without a key player or two, they have better quality to come in, granted, but it'd still be a drop off.

You can't buy decent quality and them then not expect to play and be happy.

As soon as Colo & Taylor get injured were fucked. A CD & FB would be nice.

As soon as Colo and Taylor get fucked?

Anyone losing both their first choice centre halves simultaneously are going to be in the shit tbh.

:unsure2:

Well yes, but, other teams do have some cover to limit the damage.

As do we, outside Man U and City and possibly Chelsea, who has anything like the quality of their starters to come in though ??

Even the top teams will struggle-ish without a key player or two, they have better quality to come in, granted, but it'd still be a drop off.

You can't buy decent quality and them then not expect to play and be happy.

Think a canny few teams in the division have a canny bit better cover at centre-back than us though tbf.

Edited by alex

I think confidence and self belief can also be a great asset, which is probably what these two especially have a lot of at the moment.

I think confidence and self belief can also be a great asset, which is probably what these two especially have a lot of at the moment.

Ryan Taylor is a massive confidence player like. Most noticeable when he's not playing with it. I've barely seen a player want the ball less when he's in that mode. Fair play to Pardew for getting the most out of him so far though.

Overly harsh comments on Williamson, not the best, but more than adequate cover. Simpson, Raylor arent good enough 1st team players, so a fullback should be top priority, closely followed by another forward as Lovelyhands and Shola arent good enough cover.

I'd still take Ridgewell from Brum tbh, would be great cover for the 1st choice pairing (better than Willo and Perch an all) and above all, affordable.

would presumably play as Lb when he wasnt in the first choice Cb pairing too

Overly harsh comments on Williamson, not the best, but more than adequate cover. Simpson, Raylor arent good enough 1st team players, so a fullback should be top priority, closely followed by another forward as Lovelyhands and Shola arent good enough cover.

Tbh Phil I always had time for him but the more WIlliamson played last season the more he got found out imo. Massive tart as well.

I'd still take Ridgewell from Brum tbh, would be great cover for the 1st choice pairing (better than Willo and Perch an all) and above all, affordable.

would presumably play as Lb when he wasnt in the first choice Cb pairing too

Aye, seemed to crop up with the odd header from set pieces too. Only seen him play twice against Reading tbh but he looked pretty decent in each game.

The sort of defensive cover we should be looking at anyway. I see we also got linked (by the Daily Mirror mind) to Cyrus Christie from Coventry. 18-year old right back who just broke into their first team.

Another young defender I quite like the look of is Joseph Mills of Reading. Only 21 and he's a very lively full back. Just signed this summer though so wouldn't be available, but I reckon he's one to watch.

Apologies if already posted.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/10/21/danny-simpson-on-course-for-new-nufc-deal-says-boss-61634-29634102/2/

Pardew, who is considering loaning Steve Harper or Rob Elliot for match practice, conceded centre-back is the biggest concern in his squad.

He added: “In the last window we tried to get a centre-half in and we were not able to not because of finance but because of the other club.

“It is one of our weaker areas, but when Mike Williamson comes back from an ankle injury I will be a lot more comfortable.”

Tbh Phil I always had time for him but the more WIlliamson played last season the more he got found out imo. Massive tart as well.

About the same, i thought he looked less convincing with time, though still isn't bad cover, its more that if he's needed alongside Colo i'd be pretty calm and think it'd be ok, but him and Taylor together is more worrying as they lack Colo's intelligence, positioning and footballing ability which helps settle the other one down.

Throw Perch anywhere near the team and disaster awaits, and that's the worry, suddenly we could have a back 4 that has 2 fullbacks everyone questions and Perch at CB!

But if Colo stays fit the rest of the back 4 will always do better IMO whoever comes into the team, and hopefulyl soon Pardew will get Santon in and once he's settled into the back four we will be even better.

About the same, i thought he looked less convincing with time, though still isn't bad cover, its more that if he's needed alongside Colo i'd be pretty calm and think it'd be ok, but him and Taylor together is more worrying as they lack Colo's intelligence, positioning and footballing ability which helps settle the other one down.

Throw Perch anywhere near the team and disaster awaits, and that's the worry, suddenly we could have a back 4 that has 2 fullbacks everyone questions and Perch at CB!

But if Colo stays fit the rest of the back 4 will always do better IMO whoever comes into the team, and hopefulyl soon Pardew will get Santon in and once he's settled into the back four we will be even better.

Agreed. Especially the bit in bold. Bit like how O'Brien and Bramble were generally ok so long as they played alongside Woodgate whereas together they were an accident waiting to happen.

we're crying out for another striker AND another centre back. another full back wouldn't be a bad shout either. shola's injury means we're looking at lovenkrands from the bench again. and an injury to colo is just too horrible to contemplate.