Isn't it time to start Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Santon?

Dr Gloom

I can see why Pardew is playing it cautious - we're on a good run and he's playing it by the book by not dropping anyone as long as we're unbeaten - but isn't it time to see more of our recent signings?

He doesn't want to rush Ben Arfa back - I get that. But he must be ready for a start. He might not last the full 90 but let's see how he can influence a game from the off. Marveaux has looked lively but it's all been cameos off the bench. He must be worth a go though ahead of the disappointing Obertan. And same goes for Santon. He should really be starting ahead of Simpson or Taylor.

I'd like to see all three given starts in the premier league before our horror run of fixtures next month. See if they can make a claim for a start against the big three.

Guest CabayeAye

I've been saying this for ages now. Nearly cost us the Wolves and Wigan games, we salvaged a point against Spurs after subs were made.

Our strongest team is definately:

---------------Krul

Raylor Saylor Colo Santon

--------------Tiote

Marveaux Cabaye Jonas

----------------Ben Arfa

-----------Ba

Simpson has been terrible this season, Obertan is not a starting player and I think Best has just been on a golden patch.

By playing Ben Arfa and Marv I also think we will get the best out of Cabaye and Ba and will move the ball around much better.

19 points DESPITE Simson and Obertan, not because of. And Ben Arfa is better than Best, end of.

Edited by CabayeAye

Cup game during the week, I Imagine it'll prompt a few changes by the time we get to Stoke.

Stoke away is totally different to the likes of Wigan/Spurs at home. Tactically he'll need to adjust things for sure.

It's very pleasing that we've done so well so far and have some real quality in reserve (some of whom of course you'd have assumed would always start); Santon, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Vuckic, Sammyobi, Ferguson, Abeid etc. Obviously we're still too short in a couple of areas and it'll be telling how we cope when we're forced to make changes.

Simpson has been terrible this season, Obertan is not a starting player and I think Best has just been on a golden patch.

Best's golden patch started well into last season then. It's not "a golden patch", it's inconsistency and to be honest I just think some people are too harsh on him. Yourself included.

Ben Arfa would be better if we're playing 4-4-1-1. Pardew seems to prefer good ol' 4-4-2.

I don't think its time to start all three, not in the league at least, though I can see this week against blackburn as the time we will see all three starting against PL opposition

Id lay off Obertan now and start Marveaux, after his impact against Wigan it is certainly warranted,

I'm less sure about Santon, I saw him play for inter a fair bit when he was doing but hes young and players often find it tough coming from Serie A to the PL but I would say I'd be more inclined to drop simpson than Raylor for him, which I never thought would be the case

The thing with Ben arfa is that we all know, fully fit and firing he'd be a dead cert in our team and probably the best player in it too but he's been out for the best part of a year and Im happy, while our form is good, for him ot be gradually introduced as he has been.

Introducing them one after the other to the starting line up would be the way to go for me, suddenly swapping out three players could disrupt the team and the play more than we'd anticipate especially since it would also mean a change of system presumably dropping Simpson, Obertan and Best we'd essentially be switching from a 442 to a 451/4231 or whatever they call it nowadays.

Guest CabayeAye

Best's golden patch started well into last season then. It's not "a golden patch", it's inconsistency and to be honest I just think some people are too harsh on him. Yourself included.

Ben Arfa would be better if we're playing 4-4-1-1. Pardew seems to prefer good ol' 4-4-2.

Mate, I'm no Best hater! He is a decent striker and a good bet if you are looking for a certain finish in a scrappy game. The problem is, we are now a footballing team and gone are the days of the Barton-Carroll-Nolan hoof-ball. Best in my eyes is good to bring on if you are looking at pinching a goal when applying the pressure. From the off I think Ba's pace would serve us better when he is in front of Cabaye and Ben Arfa who can play slide rule through balls on demand.

@Semi

Good post. They'll come a time when Marveaux, Ben Arfa and also Gosling get a lot more minutes on the pitch. All have had serious injuries and I'm sure it's best to involve them more gradually.

If anyone disagrees with that then fine, but I'm kind of inclined to believe the medical staff know what they're on about and are advising the first team staff how best to deal with each player.

Edited by Tecato

Guest CabayeAye

@Semi

Good post. They'll come a time when Marveaux, Ben Arfa and also Gosling get a lot more minutes on the pitch. All have had serious injuries and I'm sure it's best to involve them more gradually.

If anyone disagrees with that then fine, but I'm kind of inclined to believe the medical staff know what they're on about and are advising the first team staff how best to deal with each player.

I think Goslings got a way to go yet before he displaces Cabaye or Tiote. He needs loaning to bring him up to scratch. I'd even place him behind Guthrie in the pecking order.

I can see why Pardew is playing it cautious - we're on a good run and he's playing it by the book by not dropping anyone as long as we're unbeaten - but isn't it time to see more of our recent signings?

He doesn't want to rush Ben Arfa back - I get that. But he must be ready for a start. He might not last the full 90 but let's see how he can influence a game from the off. Marveaux has looked lively but it's all been cameos off the bench. He must be worth a go though ahead of the disappointing Obertan. And same goes for Santon. He should really be starting ahead of Simpson or Taylor.

I'd like to see all three given starts in the premier league before our horror run of fixtures next month. See if they can make a claim for a start against the big three.

Still think Cabaye will prove to be no better than Nolan?

Guest CabayeAye

Not sure if serious or not. Cabaye = Pele x Beckenbauer x Zico. Nolan = Lampard + more pies.

Not sure if serious or not. Cabaye = Pele x Beckenbauer x Zico. Nolan = Lampard + more pies. in a shopmobility trolley, with a part flat battery.

don't think i ever said that tbf. at the start of the season, cabaye didn't look capable of playing alongside tiote in a 4-4-2 as he was sat way too deep. good to see he's not doing that anymore and he's starting to look a player.

the point about nolan's goals and leadership qualities stands though. they haven't been replaced.

Guest CabayeAye

don't think i ever said that tbf. at the start of the season, cabaye didn't look capable of playing alongside tiote in a 4-4-2 as he was sat way too deep. good to see he's not doing that anymore and he's starting to look a player.

the point about nolan's goals and leadership qualities stands though. they haven't been replaced.

It's a fair one. We won't get 11 Kenin Nolan goals this season, that's for sure.

We'll probably get a hatfull of Ben Arfa, Ba and Cabaye goals to replace them though.

And as for leadership, I'd follow Colo into no-man's land, let alone out of the tunnel.

Edited by CabayeAye

It's a fair one. We won't get 11 Kenin Nolan goals this season, that's for sure.

We'll probably get a hatfull of Ben Arfa, Ba and Cabaye goals to replace them though.

And as for leadership, I'd follow Colo into no-man's land, let alone out of the tunnel.

without wanting to stray off topic too much, ba is carroll's replacement, not nolan's.

i'll be surprised if cabaye and ben arfa's goal tallies combined for this season match nolan's from last time around.

We'd scored 14 goals after 9 games last season (inc 6 against Villa), 12 this season. We scored 20 goals in 4 mad games we got 10 points from, we could replicate those points this season with 3 goals, so 17 were surplus to requirements.

The notion of needing to replace Nolan's goals is looking less important if we keep going as we are.

We'd scored 14 goals after 9 games last season (inc 6 against Villa), 12 this season. We scored 20 goals in 4 mad games we got 10 points from, we could replicate those points this season with 3 goals, so 17 were surplus to requirements.

The notion of needing to replace Nolan's goals is looking less important if we keep going as we are.

absolutely. but let's be honest, we're unlikely to keep this up are we? getting back on topic, i'd like to see us get the better quality players currently on the bench in the starting line up before it all goes tits up in the hope that we can keep the run going as long as possible.

Depends on what you mean by 'keep this up'. If by that you mean 'not losing' then of course not. I think we can improve how we are playing, we've got options to play different ways and i see no reason for the work of Pardew to start to fail or the spirit in the side to sap away.

What suggests it will go tits up?

Depends on what you mean by 'keep this up'. If by that you mean 'not losing' then of course not. I think we can improve how we are playing, we've got options to play different ways and i see no reason for the work of Pardew to start to fail or the spirit in the side to sap away.

What suggests it will go tits up?

i think the performances on the pitch in the main haven't been as good as the results, with one or two exceptions, notably spurs at home last week. it's surely only a matter of time until we lose. a string of defeats look on the cards too with man u, city and chelsea all looming. we're more likely to keep the good run going and bounce back with the best players on the pitch rather than on the bench.

Definitely would be starting Marveaux for Obertan, he's looked comfortably better whenever he's played and since Obertan doesn't track back enough or work especially hard if Marveaux doesn't then we haven't lost anything for the gain of a better footballer.

And despite the defence having a cracking record so far I'd have Santon in at LB and move Raylor to RB. Raylor has earned his place i the team more than Simpson for me and he'd be much happier at RB where he is on the correct foot both going forward but also for tackling and intercepting.

And personally i'd start Ben Arfa against Blackburn and see how he handles 90 mins and if it goes well and he looks well recovered following 90 mins then i'd start him for Best against Stoke.

I think we should definitely be looking to bring these three in. Ben Arfa is clearly a better player than Worst, Squidward is looking inept and completely gutless and you would have to assume that we've spent the money we have on Santon because he's better than Wilson/Raylor.

I dont buy that we shouldn't change the team just because we've done well so far (especially as substitutes have played a massive part in our last two results). If anything it shows a lack of ability by Pardew if he can't realise that we've got results despite players who are doing poorly rather than because they are adding anything to the team.

That said I do think it would be a massive risk to swap all three at once against Stoke. Yes do it on Wednesday (Blackburn will probably do similar) but against Stoke I think we need to be a bit more considered and for my money Obertan is the most imediate concern.

Jonas & Santon as the right-side combination, with Marveaux out on the left (in front of Raylor or Ferguson, preferably a notable January addition).

This is the brave move, for more fluid build-up play (and Jonas attacking the bylines on his preferred boot interests me more), and offers more long-term potential..... at least until either of the two are sold.

I think everyone agrees we need changes buy you can see the tough choice pardew has. If he changes and we lose our first game you could see the stick he would get. Plus a chance that player taking some blame.

Also changing for the tougher games coming is a tricky one.

I would make some changes and i would do it now rather than wait any longer. The cup game is a perfect chance to see how Marv and Ben Arda cope a full game. I'd certainly be looking to start those two in the prem at the expense of Obertan and Best. I'd give Santon the cup game but not sure about starting him in the prem.