Pet Hates!

catmag

People used to use "virtually", which is reasonable usage, given that "virtually" means "almost, but not quite".

The incorrect use of "literally" also does my head in. As does the number of times I've had to use speech marks in writing this out.

• 1 year later...

The word Literally.

It's a literally redundant word completely useless and literally unnecessary.

I literally crossed the road or I crossed the road.

F*cking literally hate it and people who use it.

Was its wider use a response to metaphoric language? Literally in such cases being used to confirm the sincerity of a statement? Now people are using literally figuratively in which case it is flat out wrong and not redundant?

• 6 months later...

People with no self-awareness about how loud they're being, e.g. (to cite an example completely at random) during the quiet parts of a gig <_<

I think the closest I've come to murder was during a Gene concert a few years ago when one of their songs (Is it over?) had a dramatic complete pause and the lad next to me shouted at his mate 2 fucking steps away to ask him if he was going out for a pint the next night. Complete disassociation from his surroundings.

I think the closest I've come to murder was during a Gene concert a few years ago when one of their songs (Is it over?) had a dramatic complete pause and the lad next to me shouted at his mate 2 fucking steps away to ask him if he was going out for a pint the next night. Complete disassociation from his surroundings.

I had a similar experience at The Who in December, there was a pause between songs as they explained the anecdote that had led to whatever song was playing next and the couple behind, who were mortal drunk, continued their excessively loud conversation about something completely unrelated to the gig, to the point no one could hear a word the band members were saying. I was just about to completely flip out and have a go at them but thankfully the bloke to the right of me cracked about 0.01 seconds before me and told them to shut the fuck up. :lol: They'd been at it for the whole thing and were in danger of ruining everyone's night.

+ standing staring at your phone screen while filming 85% of it which will sound/look awful

Aye. It would annoying as fuck anyway but I can't imagine why anyone would want to view that footage afterwards. As an aside, I remember when was on holiday once and went on a full day tour somewhere. This German bloke spent at least 3/4s of the time filming the day. To me, he basically missed out on the whole experience. Fucking weird behaviour iyam. This was before everyone had mobiles that could take footage so he was looking at the screen on his camcorder the whole time.

People live their lives through phone screens these days, as you say entirely forgetting about just enjoying whatever they're doing because they're so obsessed about making sure it's documented on Facebook so they can accumulate likes. Not that I'm getting grumpy in my old age or owt.

People live their lives through phone screens these days, as you say entirely forgetting about just enjoying whatever they're doing because they're so obsessed about making sure it's documented on Facebook so they can accumulate likes. Not that I'm getting grumpy in my old age or owt.

Was out for a drink with Tooj a few months back. Four young lasses sat at a table nearby and everyone single one of them on their phone. No doubt updating their Facebook status telling everyone what a great night they're having. Not exactly how I remember my youth. They're fucking welcome to it tbh.

Was out for a drink with Tooj a few months back. Four young lasses sat at a table nearby and everyone single one of them on their phone. No doubt updating their Facebook status telling everyone what a great night they're having. Not exactly how I remember my youth. They're fucking welcome to it tbh.

I'm as bad as anyone for sitting on the metro or whatever with my face in my phone, but I try not to do it in company. I can't stand going out for family dinners and having to constantly pose for photos and then having my phone going mental in my pocket as the meal is documented in real time on FB. I mean wtf, just eat your dinner! :lol:

It's one of the reasons I've jacked FB in.