They were all brilliant mate, not a duff player in the squad iirc. Steve McMahon was a horrible,dirty bastard but was also a very good footballer. Gary Gillespie was class, theres loads of them that rarely get mentioned who were top players. Theres a game v a good Forest side around 88, migh have been in the cup, Lfc won 5-1 or something and Beardsley's just fuckin toying with them. He played one of the best scoring passes I've evre seen in that game. Fair chance of it all being on youtube..

5-0 and it was head and shoulders above your normal 1988 style of English football although the BBC went into wank factor 10 about it and even had a special replay of it a few weeks later one night! :lol:

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't like to remind you of the hat-trick HH ;)

That team were a dream and yes the individual players were under-rated.

Aldridge scored goals for whichever team he played for. In 673 professional games he scored 363 goals, that's a fantastic achievement in anyone's book.

Barnes was the one you couldn't take your eyes off, every time he got the ball you knew there'd be a piece of magic.

The 'Wembley' policeman Looks like the late Joe Fagan tbh.

.....And the Coliccini look-a-like is.........?

Its Phil Thommo at the 74 cup final...just after being showered with love by the United faithful; not sure if it would happen now :lol:

Dont know which one of the Eurpean Cups it was when Thompson was captain, but he took the trophy and threw it in the back his Jag, took it to his local in Kirkby so all his mates could have their photo took with it :lol: Apparently he had a hardware shop there as well....two brothers in my old sunday morning team, their parents are from Kirkby and knew his family well. Still speak fondly of the fuckin gobshite him :)

He's been forced into bringing the youth through, which I think would have happened anyway just not so many at once. The fans have been talking about Suso and Sterling, along with a few others, for a couple of seasons now. Benitez overhauled the Academy and it's now bearing the fruit that he mostly planted, a few more to come as well. Really pleased that Rodgers is playing them.

Sorry like, but you can't give Praise to Rodgers for playing the kids if he's been forced to.

That cunt Tommo?

He swapped shirts with Terry Mac (both being from Kirkby) and got the hat from one of the Newcastle fans. The police were trying to stop him going for his medal telling him, 'you're up second' lol

Both correct!

2669785-1.jpg

I think I've got enough to get a balanced view point. Should I pop it up this evening, or give it a while longer to get a broader picture?

Saw Steve Nicol on ESPN earlier on. Fucking hell he's bad. Mind, ESPN's 'press pass', fuck me it's atrocious.

He said the other week Sunderland v Newcastle is like Ipswich v Norwich. :lol:

I watched that merseyside derby well the first half, four goals and STILL absolutely no passion. Bores me rigid that fixture, utterly incomparable to Newcastle v Sunderland.

Stan Collywobble: "Oid luv to hear from all yow Liverpool fans out there. What is gowing wrong at Liverpool Football Club? Give Collywobble a call. And we have Guy from Middlesex on the phone, talk to me, Guy"

Sadsack: "Yeah, Stan, but no, stan, but fahkin stone the crows, we need Rafa back, big Liverpool fan, great show Stan, legend etc, Rodgers out of his depth, Woy too, wibble, mutter, Kenny playing great football, whoop, ning-nong, beeeeeep"

Stan Collywobble: "Anuther grite insight from all yow Liverpool fans out there, if any Red from Merseyside wishes to call, wied love to hear your point of view as well."

:lol:

Best and most versatile defender I've ever seen in this country.

An absolute joke of a presenter, but when Liverpool really were a big club when I was about 8 or 9, they beat us 1-4 here and he got a hattrick playing in a defensive midfield role, he was fantastic, mind so was Ronnie Whelan.

from fuckin right back :lol:

I think a lot of that side were/are underrated though...Ray Houghton was a fuckin great player iyam.

Was he not in midfield? I remember his third came down the right, little dink at the leazes end over Gary Kelly.

They murdered us that day. And it was live on MOTD too for our one annual appearance of the season.

They were the best Liverpool team that I saw. Aldridge was lethal in the box, even when he was seeing his time out with Tranmere he still couldn't stop scoring against us! :lol:

It started to go wrong for them when Ian Rush came back, Aldridge sharp fucked off to Real Sociedad, where he was a major success (much better goals to game ratio than Lineker at Barca), they only won one more title after that. I know Barnes got all the plaudits, and without doubt at club level he was one of the best players in the world, but Beardsley made them tick too, how can any manager sell Peter Beardsley? He was quite simply without being biased one of the best players the game has ever seen, and players who played with him say the same which counts for a lot more than a fans view. Souness absolutely ruined Liverpool FC. Selling Beardsley to Everton for 900k and replacing him with Paul Stewart for double the money. What a cunt.

I watched that merseyside derby well the first half, four goals and STILL absolutely no passion. Bores me rigid that fixture, utterly incomparable to Newcastle v Sunderland.

I think it has to be a really special game for the crowd passion to come across on the tele from any PL team, no standout fans for me. You have to be there imo.

Your derby is different to ours, it's a two seperate cities derby, more like Man U v Liverpool.

An absolute joke of a presenter, but when Liverpool really were a big club when I was about 8 or 9, they beat us 1-4 here and he got a hattrick playing in a defensive midfield role, he was fantastic, mind so was Ronnie Whelan.

If you don't regard Liverpool as a 'really' big club, why do you continually spout shite about how big Newcastle are?

Was thinking about Ronnie Whelan when I was reading this actually. Class act. Remember that goal v Man Utd in (I think) the Milk Cup Final?