Stoke City Vs. Newcastle United

loonyTOON

Big game for us. Can go 3rd and keep up with the teams above.

I think that if Tiote and Taylor plays, we will win. No Tiote and it's a draw. And neither we'll lose.

I'm undecided on 1-2 or 1-3 NUFC

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've a rotten record against stoke. the unbeaten run has to end at ome point and it wouldnt be a disgrace if we do lose here. how mint if we can win or draw though? we'd be above chelsea in november. mad

We have yet to beat them in the Premier League as in the last 4 meetings we've had with 'em have been: 2 draws and 2 defeats. Although it'll be the 82nd time overall and 39 of them went to us, 23 to them and 19 went down as ties.

So hopefully, we'll be on 40 in 24 hours

Ben Arfa to start in this one given that Best is injured. Logically that would be it however Pardew might decide not to risk him against the thugby team.

I am thinking the same. Tiote and Taylor to start and we have a chance as these are part of our solid spine. I think if both start then Stoke will have a hard job of deciding who to mark, do you mark the play making Cabaye or the mecurial Ben Arfa who can pop up in a split second and split your defence open or smash a stunning strike.

I think Obertan will start but Marveux will come on at the 70th minute if we are not winning. Would love to see Santon start but unlikely.

Prediction

Taylor starting - narrow win

Tiote starting - draw

Taylor and Tiote starting - narrow win

Neither starting - lose

Bit early but could be a key game in the 'battle for 7th'. Stoke, Villa and Everton are probably our main competition for it, so if we got anything here then suddenly I would start believing we could actually get there this season. Win and it's guaranteed ;)

Edited by jonasjuice

Wouldn't be surprised if we do lose but I'm pig sick of all of this "hard place to go" bollocks.

Stoke are fucking shit - they can be effective if teams get suckered into believing the hype and shitting themselves every time they get a fucking throw in but the bottom line is that players like Delap shouldn't be within a million miles of a top flight team. They have one good player - Woodgate.

To me it's a good test of Pardew to see if he can get this exact message across.

I think Pardew will go with the regular back four, don't think he'll chuck Santon in against stoke twatting the ball into the box from setpieces and trying to overpower/foul any defenders in there. And i think how well we do could well be in large part to how Krul starts. He's the first keeper in ages we've had who attacks the ball and dominates his box so if he comes for one early and takes it he'll help our defence massively, if he comes for one or two and misses it might unsettle things a bit,but i think he's up to it.

Midfield he'll probably go with unchanged as well if Tiote is fit and upfront will be interesting as i'm sure he'd have picked Ba and Shola originally for their aerial advantage in defending set pieces, but with no Shola who knows what we'll see. Another striker, Ben Arfa or an extra midfielder are all options.

Can't see us keeping a clean sheet away from home this time, but i see us scoring as well so think we have a chance here.

Don't think its a case of teams shitting themselves, rather that those throw ins are genuinely hard to defend. They're pretty much a team of brick shithouses, if they get enough set pieces/throw ins then however hard you try to set yourself up against it (or how little you shit yourself) eventually they'll probably get something.

Pretty solid defensively too, I wouldn't say Shawcross is a bad player. Pennant's definitely better than Obertan, and theyve not got a terrible set of strikers.

Besides, stronger than the sum of its parts an all that.

Wouldn't be surprised if we do lose but I'm pig sick of all of this "hard place to go" bollocks.

Stoke are fucking shit - they can be effective if teams get suckered into believing the hype and shitting themselves every time they get a fucking throw in but the bottom line is that players like Delap shouldn't be within a million miles of a top flight team. They have one good player - Woodgate.

To me it's a good test of Pardew to see if he can get this exact message across.

You've got a point, and Pardew seems to be on the same page:

Pardew said: "Physically and mentally it's a test, and it's a test we failed last year, and I must take some blame for that defeat.

"It was probably the only game that got away from us, and maybe I put too much emphasis on what Stoke did rather than hurting them, and I won't make that mistake again, but it's still very difficult to defend against and we need our warriors and we need people to stand up and concentrate."

Hopefully we can continue to play in the same way that has been successful for us so far instead of focusing on defending against their primitive attacks.

It's not bollocks though, is it? It really is a hard place to go. Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea have all played there this season and failed to win. Spurs aswell in the LC.

No Tiote apparently so I assume we'll go for a 4-5-1 and try and pack the midfield in his absence. Guthrie needs to have the discipline to sit back and close the space between midfield and attack if Cabaye is going to be further forward. Think we may see the Dreamboat sitting deeper and getting into them a bit though. Having Steven Taylor playing is a big plus to combat their strikeforce at set-pieces. Ben Arfa shouldn't play IMO, he's not ready if Blackburn is anything to go by. I think Marveaux could do a decent job in a similar role though.

Big test for Krul tonight. I've gave him flak for being a flapper in the past, but he's really improved, I hope he can become very good at commanding his box and clattering opponents, if he does he'll be one of the best we've had in my time anyway.

we've a rotten record against stoke. the unbeaten run has to end at ome point and it wouldnt be a disgrace if we do lose here. how mint if we can win or draw though? we'd be above chelsea in november. mad

Above all teams outside Manchester.

Above all teams outside Manchester.

fucking nuts. i fully expect this bubble to burst swiftly and for us to come hurtling back to reality. still, it's hard not to get carried away with the lofty position. a win against stoke tonight, something against chelsea and it wouldn't matter if we hammered by city and man u. we'd still be in the top 6 mix in the run up to xmas for the first time since SBR. mad whern you consider the lack of investment in the side.

I know he hasn't stood out as much as last season but I think we'll struggle without Tiote (presuming he isn't risked). One of the reasons we've done so well is him and Cabaye in the middle mean we've been able to control most games so far.