Sign in to follow this  
JawD

Lens Hire

Anyone used one of these services? I'm toying with hiring something like a 800mm telephoto to do some wildlife (I mean stuff in a nature reserve, not some lasses window!).

Anyone used one of these services? I'm toying with hiring something like a 800mm telephoto to do some wildlife (I mean stuff in a nature reserve, not some lasses window!).

Haha yeah what ever! ;)

I looked in to it a while ago but tbh it seemed like too much hassle and it's all done mail order so what if they balme you for damaging the lens when you haven't.

I think if I could walk in to a shop, pick it up, check its ok, look for dents / scratches etc I'd feel comfortable with it, but didn't like the idea of doing it by post

Off topic but you posted some pics taken in a industrial park which is due to be flattened recently... I need somewhere like this for a shoot... is it still standing and what's the access like if so? i.e. will I be arrested if caught there?

I thought about it but then thought about how much money I would be throwing away when i could save it up and get a nice lens of my very own! I might consider it at £30 a day for a little rare lens that I may only feel the need to use once or twice in my lifetime, but for something like a 70-200 or 50mm I'd much rather buy them outright. And, like Andy, I'd probably only bother if they were in a shop where I could nip in and hire it exactly when i need it.

Off topic but you posted some pics taken in a industrial park which is due to be flattened recently... I need somewhere like this for a shoot... is it still standing and what's the access like if so? i.e. will I be arrested if caught there?

Not flattened for a while yet. Still has a few residents. I dont have the contact details but if you nip down there is a gate house. the bloke there should be able to give you the lasses name and she can give you full access etc I'd imagine

I thought about it but then thought about how much money I would be throwing away when i could save it up and get a nice lens of my very own! I might consider it at £30 a day for a little rare lens that I may only feel the need to use once or twice in my lifetime, but for something like a 70-200 or 50mm I'd much rather buy them outright. And, like Andy, I'd probably only bother if they were in a shop where I could nip in and hire it exactly when i need it.

Yeah the cost to buy the type of lens Im after is between 5K and 7K or £200 for a few days. I could go for a second hand Sigma or something around 500mm and they can be picked up for nearer £800. I have a 300mm f/4.5 which is a nice lens but I cant attach a teleconverter so only way to get closer is a bigger lens.

They do make a business out of it so I doubt they would be that unscrupulous plus Id imagine you pay for insurance of some kind.

Not flattened for a while yet. Still has a few residents. I dont have the contact details but if you nip down there is a gate house. the bloke there should be able to give you the lasses name and she can give you full access etc I'd imagine

Cheers mate, where is it then?

Is that what you did to get access and where they fairly accomodating to the request?

Nah, they contacted a lass off a Flickr group (Newcastle Photo Walk) I'm part of and invited us down as a group. The place is Alexander Business Park which is just down from Pallion Metro in Sunderland.

Nah, they contacted a lass off a Flickr group (Newcastle Photo Walk) I'm part of and invited us down as a group. The place is Alexander Business Park which is just down from Pallion Metro in Sunderland.

Ok cool cheers for the info... It's a little far tbh but I'll have a look in to it if I can't find anything closer.

I