Newcastle United vs Everton match thread

Monroe Transfer

Thought you all might appreciate a good laugh.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2011/11/01/ian-snodin-everton-fc-must-target-win-at-high-flying-newcastle-united-100252-29695918/

NEWCASTLE UNITED up next and although they’ve been flying high I look at their squad and at Everton FC’s and know which I’d rather manage.

But for me, the Magpies haven’t really played anyone yet and I see this as a game we should be aiming to win, nevermind targeting a point on our travels.

Yes Alan Pardew’s side work hard and they’ve got a good spirit at the moment because things are going well but they’re far from outstanding, and probably not going to be in the top five for much longer.

Look at our display at St James’ Park last season, and you realise we can go and play there on our day.

However, the kick-off time is awful once again. A pointless 12pm KO against Man U, and now 12.45pm in the North East meaning a very early rise for our travelling fans.

I don’t think it helps the players much either.

When I was playing I preferred Saturdays at 3pm, or if it was a weeknight then 7.45pm was fine.

But mid-day and 12.45pm just doesn’t feel right, it was always in the back of my mind, and it certainly means the atmosphere in the ground can suffer on some occasions.

I’m sure there will be plenty of noise in Tyneside on Saturday though, and knowing the devotion of Everton fans they’ll get there regardless.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've now played Arsenal, Spurs and Stoke at the britannia

we've played teams around us for the most part and come out with win or draws, just what we need to be doing, theyre the important games for us, not the likes of chelsea, man u or city

Apart from a couple of obvious howlers, I don't think he's too 'wide of the mark' though. It'll be a tough game. He's fucking right about those daft kick-off times as well. The idea of him managing either side is fucking hilarious mind.

we've played teams around us for the most part and come out with win or draws, just what we need to be doing, theyre the important games for us, not the likes of chelsea, man u or city

For the sake of clarity, we've not beaten anyone in the top half. Only 30% of our games have been against top half opposition, so your "for the most part" point isn't quite right.

That said, Everton are just above the relegation places and haven't beaten anyone outside the bottom 5. Can't see where he get's his expectations for a win.

problem for me is his insistance that we havent "played anyone" as if everton qualify as being someone

Aye, one of those howlers. We've played better than them. Also Sunderland away (for a derby) and Stoke away are tougher propositions than Everton at home (on paper at least). It's just another cliched trotted out. Similarly we've had "those Newcastle fans aren't complaining about Hughton getting sacked now, are they?" type comments of late. As though it was just Newcastle fans that thought Hughton's treatment was bad crack.

For the sake of clarity, we've not beaten anyone in the top half. Only 30% of our games have been against top half opposition, so your "for the most part" point isn't quite right.

That said, Everton are just above the relegation places and haven't beaten anyone outside the bottom 5. Can't see where he get's his expectations for a win.

we only finished 12th last season though we're not exactly long established top half team as it stand

we only finished 12th last season though we're not exactly long established top half team as it stand

Crossed wires then. Thought you meant teams around us now, not in April/May.

You can see his thought process, the only team around that level they've lost to is QPR. Apart from that, their losses have been up against Man U, Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool, so no great shame in those losses.

Still think his confidence is misplaced like.

Stoke have only concede one goal at home all season and that was the Man Utd who still didnt win, Spurs have been on a great run of form, Arsenal well they have been indifferent however I am getting tired of this. The games we werent getting much from last season we are begining to grind out results. We lost this one last season 2-1, I think we need a win in this one to keep on top and keep third for another week before we play Citeh, Manure and Chelski... hopefully Terrys ban for 6 months for being racist will come through by then haha!

Stoke have only concede one goal at home all season and that was the Man Utd who still didnt win, Spurs have been on a great run of form, Arsenal well they have been indifferent however I am getting tired of this. The games we werent getting much from last season we are begining to grind out results. We lost this one last season 2-1, I think we need a win in this one to keep on top and keep third for another week before we play Citeh, Manure and Chelski... hopefully Terrys ban for 6 months for being racist will come through by then haha!

I feel exactly the same when we look as comfortable as we did last night (for the most part). It's the victories over Wigan, Wolves, Fulham and to a lesser extent the Mackems where we robbed them of points which tempers my enthusiasm, take that 6-12 points off us and you have our more realistic level.

Hopefully the results/postion is generating a level of confidence that will feed performance now and we can maintain it without looking as wobbly.

I don't think we did rob those teams tbh. We had the extra bit of quality to win those tight games.

That's not me saying we're going to stay 3rd but, given who we've played and how we have played our position isn't 'false' imo. It is in terms of where I think we'll finish (more like 7th or 8th).

Edited by alex

Everton have been nowt special at all this season.

Drenthe is probably their most threatening player but he'll be banned against us won't he? (Seem to think he got a red in his last game...)

I think we could win given we've performed well at home so far and the team will be buzzing from a great bounce back result.

If we get results against any of the top three (ahem, four) then that'll be put down to them having a bad day etc.

Nay cunt likes us where we are, they want to explain it away. They can go fuck themselves.

I don't think we did rob those teams tbh. We had the extra bit of quality to win those tight games.

That's not me saying we're going to stay 3rd but, given who we've played and how we have played our position isn't 'false' imo. It is in terms of where I think we'll finish (more like 7th or 8th).

Ceratinly deserved something from them, but incredible we managed to take all 12 points from the performances in those games.

If we get results against any of the top three (ahem, four) then that'll be put down to them having a bad day etc.

Nay cunt likes us where we are, they want to explain it away. They can go fuck themselves.

Funny reading the Stoke forum this morning. Bile fuelled. Didn't realise they hated us that much. Not sure why, with the results they've got from us prior to last night.

Aye, I take your point but 'incredible' is overstating it a bit imo, HF. I'd also question how likely it is (I'll leave the stats / probability up to you ;) ) that you can be lucky so often. I.e. is it really luck or is it down to having the better forward(s) etc. to stick it in the onion bag? Anyway, I'm happy getting (by my standards) a bit carried away. Just because it's cold in January, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy a nice day in October. Or something.

Funny reading the Stoke forum this morning. Bile fuelled. Didn't realise they hated us that much. Not sure why, with the results they've got from us prior to last night.

I bet they hate everyone tbh.

Do you mean Oatcake? Shitcake more like, what a fucking mess that site is.

Was reading someone's comments on there (Edit: Oatcake). I thought it was going to be sensible stuff as he said we had them sussed tactically but he blotted his copy book by stating we stifled them with 5 at the back and 3 holding midfielders. They absolutely battered us 2nd half as well apparently :lol:

Edited by alex

They're still fucking bitter about 1995 man. Give it up mongs, it was 16 years ago!

As an Everton fan I can say that the article isn't really a fair reflection of Newcastle's achievements this season... ok so you haven't had the hardest of starts but you've still legitimately won enough points to be 3rd... therefore you deserve to be 3rd, confidence will be high, winning is a habit and you're playing at home. It's not a fixture I expect us to win, and I actually think it'll be very close... maybe a 1-1, maybe 2-1 with a late winner for one team but could easily go either way TBH.

The article annoys me as its the same crap I read time and time again when we were flying relatively high, that somehow we didn't deserve to be there, and that eventually we'd plummet down the league.

I think credit should be given where its due and I think this weekends match is no more of a test for you then playing Stoke away IMO.

Edited by ajax_andy

Aye, I take your point but 'incredible' is overstating it a bit imo, HF. I'd also question how likely it is (I'll leave the stats / probability up to you ;) ) that you can be lucky so often. I.e. is it really luck or is it down to having the better forward(s) etc. to stick it in the onion bag? Anyway, I'm happy getting (by my standards) a bit carried away. Just because it's cold in January, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy a nice day in October. Or something.

Think a few key things have gone our way, things as supporters who have been up against it in recent seasons we've been naturally wary to embrace too quickly.

Collo, Guti, Cabaye and Tiote are genuine class and the first two have really come good.

Looking at those players from the outside I imagine many covetous eyes are currently looking our way. Krul is a much better keeper than any of dreamt he might be a couple of years ago and I think he will be a permanent fix in the Dutch side over the next 2/3 years. He is a natural shot stopper and much better around his zone of influence than Given.

Out of nowhere Saylor is becoming more consistant (with the odd rick which he will always have).

First Best (a championship striker in all but name) scoring key goals and now Ba (who looks like a decent finisher but also has displayed intelligence) looking like defences are going to have to take him really seriously.

Things have gelled and it happens like this in football sometimes (could it be cause Pards has stuck to more or less the same side?).

Many of us really underrated Pards inc me. It might be that it just is (again luckily) just the right set of circumstances and a club like ours that has fired him up and is bringing out the best in him.

For now it's an adventure and we just have to 'go with it'...

Think this is just the right sort of fixture for us after last night tbh. Everyone knows that Everton are one of the better also rans in the league and while confidence is high, no one should be going into this thinking it's going to be a comfortable win like I think we did against Wigan (and have so many times in the past).

This will be a tough game but with how well our defence are doing and the form that Ba is in, I'm confident we can pick up a result before we head into those three games where we're expecting nothing.