Who would you support?

FCUM

Who would you support  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Given the recent talk of a takeover at NUFC, I'm curious as to what you would all do given a scenario similar to ours.

Assume you get taken over by a Glazer type figure who then transferred all his personal debt onto the club. Further assume a group of supporters started a breakaway club owned by the supporters at the bottom of the pyramid system.

Where would your loyalties lie?

"Similar to yours?" TBH, I still am uncertain as to what exactly the problem is in Manchester; no one has ever explained it to me in a way that makes sense to me.

I'd be upset if someone were to begin asset-stripping, etc, but I'd remain loyal to the club. My loyalties are to the club, not the owner.

good question.

I think I would look fondly and support in some manner the breakaway club, but I would also never be able to forgo my affiliation to NUFC...

I wouldn't give up my season ticket to the ether, but might sell it on to someone else to have at SJP, I would go to watch the breakaway club, but from time to time, not religiously.

I think the ManU situation is unique, to be the richest club club in the world and suddenly be taken over by a relative unknown must be a massive shock, and to come at a time when you're lsoing the dominance of the Domestic league to a team who previously were perrenial underacheivers, rather than your closest rivals (Arsenal).. this must be a particularly bitter time to be a Man U fan.

Geordies haven't won anything in decades, we've got a club that every year promises so much but never delivers, I think if new blood came in many would see it as a time for change. I think the majority of us see the need for an overhaul of this club from top to tail if an indebtored suitor were to come in and enforce this change... some of us would welcome the tabula rasa.

put simply we've got little to lose to a take over.. we certainly couldn't be mismanaged to a greater degree.

good question.

I think I would look fondly and support in some manner the breakaway club, but I would also never be able to forgo my affiliation to NUFC...

I wouldn't give up my season ticket to the ether, but might sell it on to someone else to have at SJP, I would go to watch the breakaway club, but from time to time, not religiously.

I think the ManU situation is unique, to be the richest club club in the world and suddenly be taken over by a relative unknown must be a massive shock, and to come at a time when you're lsoing the dominance of the Domestic league to a team who previously were perrenial underacheivers, rather than your closest rivals (Arsenal).. this must be a particularly bitter time to be a Man U fan.

Geordies haven't won anything in decades, we've got a club that every year promises so much but never delivers, I think if new blood came in many would see it as a time for change. I think the majority of us see the need for an overhaul of this club from top to tail if an indebtored suitor were to come in and enforce this change... some of us would welcome the tabula rasa.

put simply we've got little to lose to a take over.. we certainly couldn't be mismanaged to a greater degree.

5815[/snapback]

Good answer GF but I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Surely, if your club are prennial under achievers it's easier than if you are used to winning trophies. You are giving up less to some extent. I suppose the counter to that is that if you've supported your club for decades and seen them win nowt then you'd be gutted if they won something after you left.

I can only speak personally and it isn't about trophies, for me it's about supporters reclaiming the game from the corporates. I can honestly say I'd be doing the same if we'd won the treble last season.

Maybe the comparison isn't a fair one though as your club has not yet become the global commercial brand that mine did, full of gloryhunters wearing their stupid jesters hats :D

Surely, if your club are prennial under achievers it's easier than if you are used to winning trophies. You are giving up less to some extent.

WIND UP MERCHANT!!! mufc_allover in disguise is my first guess...

:D:blush::D

that's the point you've already given up on your club because of a takeover. I couldn't... not for something as irrelevant as the ownership...

You're not going to be relegated, you're still going to be there or there abouts, you're still playing good football, you're still wearing red and black, you're still called Man U.

I can't honestly see what has happened to make a lot of your fellow ManU fans spit their collective dummy... but then like you said it's a personal thing and I couldn't possibly understand because I've not been put in this position after supporting a winning team for years. Similarily you can't understand what it is like to support a club that has won NOTHING in your lifetime (other than promotion) I wouldn't desert my club because Joe Bloggs bought it and brought some debt with him.

It's not that we've got nothing to lose, but it's more likely that a change will be good for us, than for you.

The ghosts of my ancestors would come back and haunt me if I gave up the Faith I'm afraid............................

Besides NUFC fans have NEVER believed they "owned" the Club - it's always been in the hands of incompetents and self serving local businessmen

Is this thread a thinly veiled reference to the Toontastic / Newcastle-Online split?

:D

5878[/snapback]

Does this mean we're getting saddled with Craig's (premium rate phoneline) debts? If so I'm splitting to start my own forum.

Sounds like a cliche but I'd go wherever I thought the 'spirit of the club' remained.

5928[/snapback]

its never got much further that 200 yards away from the "Strawberry" in my time

Is this thread a thinly veiled reference to the Toontastic / Newcastle-Online split?

5878[/snapback]

Does this mean we're getting saddled with Craig's (premium rate phoneline) debts? If so I'm splitting to start my own forum.

5881[/snapback]

It's a lie I tell you, a lie! :blush: