Job application advice? - Personal Recommendation

Brock Manson

Hey all,

A while back i applied for a job at graze.com as a product developer. Didn't get it after a period of running around after the interviewer and a frustrating phone interview. Feedback was along the lines of they had other candidates she was following up and my answer to 'if you had to prepare a 3-course meal, what would it be?' wasn't satisfactory enough...

However i know a genuinely nice guy who actually works for the company currently (he's also 22), who has incredibly kindly put in a word for me with a different person involved in recruitment. He forwarded an email from her saying that they had no spaces available at present but asked me to send in my cv in case she finds anything suitable that comes up.

So I've sent her my cv and she's emailed back to say thanks - she'll keep hold of it and also asked why I'm interested in product development.

What sort of response should I give her? I've drafted about 3 paragraphs-worth of text explaining how I occupied a similar PD role at the restaurant (used to make a load of buffet snacks, new menu dishes, improvements to current recipes etc). Is this being too keen? Should i just keep my response extremely concise or do i point out exactly what interests me in a future job by throwing a wall of text at her? The phone interviewer didn't really give me the chance to show what I'd done nor ask if i had any questions at the end for her so I'd like to show them that I could be worth a gamble.

I'm currently learning the project management trade and working hard so the skills I'm using would definitely be applicable, but I've never been personally recommended before so not sure how to follow up. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

The more keen you appear the better imo. Have a good think about exactly why you want the job and put it all down. A concise answer would, imo, appear to show you aren't really that interested in the job.

I'd say don't be too shy 'blowing your own' trumpet as it were - some people find that easier than others like .

Personally I detest the whole CV / application process and the bullshit that goes with it and the associated shit you have to come out with and know hard it is to sell yourself, but I'd gently re-inforce/highlight what skills you have that you feel are suited to the particular role - remind them why they should consider you as it were . Dood luck with it all too Brock !

You need to do both really. She won't be arsed wading through pages of your life history but you want to really sell yourself in 4/5 paragraphs.

Try to keep to the facts i.e. your experience and motivation.

Alreet, email sent.

Thanks a lot guys, I got it down to 6 paragraphs that weren't too intense or gushy. Basically just gave a rundown of all the new menu/snacks I was doing at the cafe and what I'm doing now to gain the necessary skills.

Didn't mention the novel though as it wasn't really relevant. ;)

Cheers again! :D