New Xbox console in development..

2bias

Microsoft's next generation of the Xbox console is codenamed 'Loop', according to a new report.

Technology blogger MS Nerd has reported the Loop title for the long-rumoured new Xbox and claimed that the console will be "far cheaper" and more focused on the Kinect system.

MS Nerd says the console will feature a modified Win9 core, featuring a custom-made ARM-based processor and dedicated cores for graphics, AI, physics and other tasks.

The blog states: "With a heady mix of rumours, tips and speculation, I am now stating that Xbox codename 'Loop' (the erstwhile XboxTV) will indeed debut a modified Win9 core.

"It will use a Zune HD-like hardware platform - a 'main' processor with multiple dedicated assistive cores for graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors."

MS Nerd also claims that the new Xbox will be smaller and much cheaper than the current Xbox 360, gearing the product for "Kinect adaptation".

A launch date for the console is not clear, although a report emerged last month indicating thatSaints Row 4, Alan Wake 2 and other games are already in development for the next Xbox.

However, an industry analyst has claimed that Sony will release the fourth iteration of the PlayStation before Microsoft launches its new home console.

dont care not gonna buy one anyway not after the problems with the last one i had anyway moved to ps3 hehehe

dont care not gonna buy one anyway not after the problems with the last one i had anyway moved to ps3 hehehe

We dont care hehehehehehehe

no i dont care is what i ment

and we dont care that you dont care is what i meant

whatever

:lol:

You never know Deaderz, it may even be better than your much loved Playstation 3 system

Wouldn't surprise me to see these in 2013. Lot of the major franchises are wrapping up and they're going to need some of them left over for launches. They've already been stretching the systems to the limits with what they can offer (movie streaming, motion controls, HD re-releases). It was optimistic to expect these things to go for 10 years. Though I suppose the 360 won't be far off.

theres still life left in the ps3 yet it could make it to 2016 without issues

it could make it to 2016 but certainly not without issues

if a new Xbox and the Wii U come in the next 2 years (which are almost certain) then the PS3 would have died on its arse by 2016

Edited by Semimental

I don't see how much these consoles have got left in them tbh. We've got Mass Effect 3 and MAYBE GTA V as your major late-life releases but in the case of GTA V, I can't see that coming out when attention is largely focused on the new consoles. I imagine companies like Respawn, Bungie, Epic and even niche devs like Harmonix aren't going to want to push new releases for these consoles when new ones are round the corner. As Andrew says, it's all dictated by what their competitors do; the Wii U is launching next year and that's now got the power to do third party ports justice and stuff like Mario/Zelda etc are big unit shifters.

Ah yeah, Bioshock Infinite is a pretty big game but I'm guessing Epic for example, want a new Gears of War game to be a launch title so they can really get the multiplayer numbers brought from that etc

Halo 4 will be on the 360 I reckon

we're definitely in the last year or two of their cycles but there are plenty of big releases left to come for the 360 at least

Halo 4 will be on the 360 I reckon

we're definitely in the last year or two of their cycles but there are plenty of big releases left to come for the 360 at least

Fucking hell, aye. My mind isn't working. I think we've got another big Xmas rush next year with spring 2013 for new consoles.

"more focused on the Kinect system"

Why? When I play on my Xbox it's because I can't be fucking bothered to do anything constructive and just want to chil out.

Pretty much.

The OP's article is still just speculation but I'm sure we'd all fully expect the next Xbox to focus on Kinect. If it does, I simply won't buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

Announcement expected to be in January

and expected to be two models on launch

Next Xbox Will Have Two Models, Just Like the Current Xbox

One of the more maddening aspects of the Xbox 360 has been Microsoft's insistence on a "two model" strategy. A bare-bones, cheap version, and a souped-up expensive one. It's helped shift units, especially since Kinect's release, but it's also held other Xbox 360 games back since developers can't assume everybody has, say, a hard drive.

I'd like nothing more than to see this strategy go away quietly into the night, but according to a report from Digital Foundry, Microsoft is looking at sticking with it for the next Xbox console.

"It's...believed that Microsoft will continue its successful two SKU strategy", the story claimed, "and indeed take it much further with its new platform: a pared down machine is to be released as cheaply as possible, and positioned more along the lines of a set-top box (the use of 360 as a Netflix viewing platform in the US is colossal) and perhaps as a Kinect-themed gaming portal, while a more fully-featured machine with optical drive, hard disk and backward compatibility aimed at the hardcore would be released at a higher price-point."

Interesting. That actually wouldn't be too bad; if only the "hardcore" console had an optical drive, then the "pared down" version would only play Xbox Live Arcade titles, leaving developers of larger, disc-based games free to design for the beefier machine.

http://kotaku.com/5862439/next-xbox-will-have-two-models-just-like-the-current-xbox

That actually wouldn't be too bad; if only the "hardcore" console had an optical drive, then the "pared down" version would only play Xbox Live Arcade titles, leaving developers of larger, disc-based games free to design for the beefier machine.

:lol: Aye, they'll be queuing up in droves for that one.