Recommend me a gym with a pool, steam, sauna jacuzzi

ajax_andy

So following on from my previous thread about Green's Gym and the free months membership I managed to pilfer off the missus (dont worry I bought her some flowers from the Shell garage to say thanks), I have decided that I can no longer bare to go to Dunston Pool ever again!

So where do you go?

I need somewhere that is:

a) fairly nice

b has a good sauna and steam room

c) has a good jacuzzi

d) has a decent sized pool

I'm not arsed about weights rooms, classes or any of that jazz... just somewhere to swim and relax.

Edited by ajax_andy

Any of the JJB (or DW are they called now) would work for what you're after. Plus you can just join them on a month to month basis, so no joining fee and no 12 month contracts (Greens require you to sign up for a year).

There's a canny few knocking about, and you can use any club once you've joined, which is handy if you travel.

Any of the JJB (or DW are they called now) would work for what you're after. Plus you can just join them on a month to month basis, so no joining fee and no 12 month contracts (Greens require you to sign up for a year).

There's a canny few knocking about, and you can use any club once you've joined, which is handy if you travel.

Sounds good... I'm not sure where the nearest one to me would be tho. I play footy at the North Shields one on a Tuesday but as I live in Ryton its a canny hike to do more than once a week.

Byker, North Shields and Sunderland are the only three. After that you're looking at somewhere like Green's or David Lloyd if you want a pool and a jacuzzi and that, I think. The DW ones have really good facilities for the price, then there's a bit of a price jump to the likes of Green's.

Byker, North Shields and Sunderland are the only three. After that you're looking at somewhere like Green's or David Lloyd if you want a pool and a jacuzzi and that, I think. The DW ones have really good facilities for the price, then there's a bit of a price jump to the likes of Green's.

Aye I think I either need to put up with Dunston Pool which costs me about £20 a month going once a week, or stump up the extra cash for a proper one like the Green's one. Damn them with their free one month membership and making me want something I cant afford lol!

I forgot there was DW at Byker which isn't as far... might see if they will let me have a free day pass to check it out. Only thing with that type of place is that I think somewhere like Green's will be quieter and attract a slightly different type of person? Could be wrong like but one of the reasons Dunston pisses me off so much is the meat heads who go there

I used to go to FX and that is a canny gym. Was just a bit out of my way. I go to DW now and thats a cracking gym. You sign up and can use any DW in the UK. Prob one of the cheapest Ive found as well, I pay around £38 a month. I go before work so haven't used the pool stuff so not sure what they have,

Looks like I'm joining Greens. They just offered £44 a month plus December for free... And as I have my free month anyway that means I wouldn't start paying till Jan. Haven't commuted yet as wanna give myself an hour or so to mull it over but it seems like a pretty good deal

• 4 years later...

I used Newcastle City Council gyms for years, you could use Byker, West Denton, Eldon Square, Newburn and Gosforth and they were all good. I used to pay £30 a month though, and the one good thing about gyms today is that they're a lot cheaper now. There's one recently opened in town underneath the old Co-Op which is only 13 quid a month.

I haven't (for obvious reasons) been to a gym now for nearly 2 years. I need to go big time. I'm sick of family, future in laws and random women saying "ah man ye suit a bit of weight." I'm a fat cunt! It's doing my head in and I'm at the stage where I am actually permitted to go. Can anyone seriously recommend a top cheap as fuck gym anywhere on Tyneside, perferrably South Shields. Some people are paying £10 a go I'm hearing yet when I check it out it's 18 quid.

Edited by McFaul

I used Newcastle City Council gyms for years, you could use Byker, West Denton, Eldon Square, Newburn and Gosforth and they were all good. I used to pay £30 a month though, and the one good thing about gyms today is that they're a lot cheaper now. There's one recently opened in town underneath the old Co-Op which is only 13 quid a month.

I haven't (for obvious reasons) been to a gym now for nearly 2 years. I need to go big time. I'm sick of family, future in laws and random women saying "ah man ye suit a bit of weight." I'm a fat cunt! It's doing my head in and I'm at the stage where I am actually permitted to go. Can anyone seriously recommend a top cheap as fuck gym anywhere on Tyneside, perferrably South Shields. Some people are paying £10 a go I'm hearing yet when I check it out it's 18 quid.

Go see your GP and you'll get on the free NHS gym program. Once signed up you get to go to your local gym (temple park or the one at the new swimming pool next to the Dunes) free of charge.

I can't remember if it's the first six months or year that's free. Well worth a call to check.

Gyms are dead useful and all, but get Couch to 5k downloaded and find your nearest Parkrun too. Bit of community spirit works wonders for the motivation, they probably won't serve you 12 pints at the café afterwards mind. ;)

You definitely know you're a fat cunt when the doctor writes the word 'gym' on the prescription pad.

Haha. I'm just so fuckin fat at the moment, and no one accepts it. 2 and a half years ago I was fitter than the hospital assistant on here who probably wanks looking in the mirror, but now oh dear. Gym'll fix it in a good way though because I need to lose 3 stone now, and I lost 2 stone before so I'll do it I just need somewhere that's good and cheap to go.

Go see your GP and you'll get on the free NHS gym program. Once signed up you get to go to your local gym (temple park or the one at the new swimming pool next to the Dunes) free of charge.

I can't remember if it's the first six months or year that's free. Well worth a call to check.

Cheers mate, the one at the bottom of Ocean Road where the new baths are would be ideal.

Edited by McFaul

It's a fairly cheap option compared to treating someone for years with diabetes and similar ailments.

It's cheap when you think I according to all records of my particular form of tumour, that I have a 23% chance of being here on 14/8/2019. So they'd only have to pay it for three years. Nah tbh fuck that, I want to pay it myself, I'm so fuckin arrogant I think I'm going to be here till 2050 man! I don't want to do things that cripples do, I'll be perfectly normal in the rest of my body when I start back at the gym.