Why are Asians so shite at football?

McFaul

Cricket is the national sport of India closely followed by 'Who wants to be a millionaire'.. ;) Chess became very popular when Anand climbed the rankings. Football is viewed as a spectacle in most of Asia rather than a 'must do' sport. In Asia in general education and science are venerated to such a level that it's almost like a sport...(no running out onto the allotment after school). If China for instance set their mind to it and more players played abroad could become a force in modern football. Ultimately a lot of it comes down to prestige. In Europe it is asscociated with prestige and still a way out of poverty/poor education/mucking about in school (but the infrastructure is there to catch these young players). In Asia education is the way out and is the number one sport.

Yeah, an Indian kid doesn't have world class players to look up and aspire to. That's what football culture is about. No coincidence that the NE of England has produced so many top class footballers. It's not the biggest area in terms of population, it's about football culture. Bairns in Newcastle grow up with Gazza, Beardsley, Shearer et al to aspire to.

Who did a Swede ever have to look up to before Henrik Larsson? Jonny Ekstrom?? Thomas Brolin :lol:

Gunnar Nordahl, Gunnar Gren, Nils Liedholm, Lennart "Nacka" Skoglund, Agne Simonsson, Ove Kindvall, Ralf Edström...do I need to go on?

I thought you knew one or two things about football.

I knew Gunnar Nordahl and his exploits in Serie A, but anyone else who says they've heard of the other ones is lying.

You've never heard of the Gre-No-Li trio at AC Milan?

No and not one person on here has neither.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw hockey competes with cricket as the most played/competive sport in India/pakistan.

I didn't know that. I like India, and I like Indians generally apart from when you ring Virgin Media.

Cricket is the national sport of India closely followed by 'Who wants to be a millionaire'.. ;) Chess became very popular when Anand climbed the rankings. Football is viewed as a spectacle in most of Asia rather than a 'must do' sport. In Asia in general education and science are venerated to such a level that it's almost like a sport...(no running out onto the allotment after school). If China for instance set their mind to it and more players played abroad could become a force in modern football. Ultimately a lot of it comes down to prestige. In Europe it is asscociated with prestige and still a way out of poverty/poor education/mucking about in school (but the infrastructure is there to catch these young players). In Asia education is the way out and is the number one sport.

Yeah, an Indian kid doesn't have world class players to look up and aspire to. That's what football culture is about. No coincidence that the NE of England has produced so many top class footballers. It's not the biggest area in terms of population, it's about football culture. Bairns in Newcastle grow up with Gazza, Beardsley, Shearer et al to aspire to.

Who did a Swede ever have to look up to before Henrik Larsson? Jonny Ekstrom?? Thomas Brolin :lol:

Gunnar Nordahl, Gunnar Gren, Nils Liedholm, Lennart "Nacka" Skoglund, Agne Simonsson, Ove Kindvall, Ralf Edström...do I need to go on?

I knew Gunnar Nordahl and his exploits in Serie A, but anyone else who says they've heard of the other ones is lying.

Google it. The point was that there have been many top class players to look up to.

Btw hockey competes with cricket as the most played/competive sport in India/pakistan.

I didn't know that. I like India, and I like Indians generally apart from when you ring Virgin Media.

It was said a decade ago that Leeds, Bradford and Birmingham/Villa would produce Asian players, not sure what went wrong there.

You didn't know this either apparently you flid. So your FACTS about football being the number 1 sport in China were just made up I take it?

Most popular sport in China is table tennis followed by badminton and chess.

http://en.wikipedia....ockey_World_Cup

Out of the 12 WC's India and pakistan have won it 5 times between them.

Edited by Park Life

I saw the title of this thread and would have bet my house on it being Stevie who started it :lol:

You say football is the number one sport in a lot of Asian countries but it isnt. India is cricket mad, Japan is baseball and Sumo mad, the Chinese love Table Tennis/Badminton

Post 12 btw

It was said a decade ago that Leeds, Bradford and Birmingham/Villa would produce Asian players, not sure what went wrong there.

They're shite at football.

My arms only come down to the bottom of my rib cage, less of the flid references please.

I had (honestly).

My arms only come down to the bottom of my rib cage, less of the flid references please.

We're often pushed towards being doctors or going into computers rather than sports end_quote_rb.gif

Sajj, Manchester

;)

Just a bit of armless fun man.

Wey I have. But then I'm half-Swedish. Tonight is a tricky one. :D

A contradiction in terms for those of us who wish we could masturbate.

Cabaye is one-quarter Vietnamese. :case:

middle quarter, not his feet ;)

If you're suggesting he may be of (stereo)typical Asian endowment, there's going to be a lot of disappointed fans on the #GayForCabaye hashtag. <_<

A contradiction in terms for those of us who wish we could masturbate.

You need one of these then Stumpy

(SFW)

You didn't know this either apparently you flid. So your FACTS about football being the number 1 sport in China were just made up I take it?

Most popular sport in China is table tennis followed by badminton and chess.

Football, basketball, and ping pong are the main sports in China.

Football is the most popular spectator sport[12] in the country and has been one of the most well supported sports in China ever since it was introduced in the 1900s.

Football has always been among the more popular amateur team sports for recreation in China. High schools often have football facilities, some of which are rented on weekends to local amateur teams to organize matches. It is also the most popular sports to watch on television, with large international tournaments such as the World Cup and the European Championships, as well as major European leagues receiving widespread coverage.

Mug

Canny funny this thread like. My favourite so far is J informing the world Ping Pong is popular in China :lol:

Plays centre-mid for Dalian Shide, right?

I can just imagine Gazza at training shouting "How! Ping Pong!"

We're often pushed towards being doctors or going into computers rather than sports. Karaoke's my field like end_quote_rb.gif

Gupta Singh, Manchester

;)

Cabaye is one-quarter Vietnamese. :case:

middle quarter, not his feet ;)

If you're suggesting he may be of (stereo)typical Asian endowment, there's going to be a lot of disappointed fans on the #GayForCabaye hashtag. <_<

Expalins the popularity of the pencil grip over there.

There are some good, young asian footballers around at the minute. Kagawa and Honda are both very talented and playing in the champions league. Thats despite the fact that football isnt ingrained in their culture as it is in much of Europe.

We're often pushed towards being doctors or going into computers rather than sports. Karaoke's my field like end_quote_rb.gif

Gupta Singh, Manchester

;)

Is that Gedupta's fella?