Why are Asians so shite at football?

McFaul

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw hockey competes with cricket as the most played/competive sport in India/pakistan.

I didn't know that. I like India, and I like Indians generally apart from when you ring Virgin Media.

You didn't know this either apparently you flid. So your FACTS about football being the number 1 sport in China were just made up I take it?

Most popular sport in China is table tennis followed by badminton and chess.

Football, basketball, and ping pong are the main sports in China.

Football is the most popular spectator sport[12] in the country and has been one of the most well supported sports in China ever since it was introduced in the 1900s.

Football has always been among the more popular amateur team sports for recreation in China. High schools often have football facilities, some of which are rented on weekends to local amateur teams to organize matches. It is also the most popular sports to watch on television, with large international tournaments such as the World Cup and the European Championships, as well as major European leagues receiving widespread coverage.

Mug

TBH

pyramid.gif

The lad at CSKA moscow and the young kid on loan at Feyenoord (?) from Arsenal are supposedly canny (only seen each of them play a few times in European games admittedly), but I do get Stevie's point. I reckon the best answer has been Alex's that the best athlete's gravitate to where the money (and fame) in the country is, Weightlifting, badminton, table tennis etc are dominated by Asians, so even though millions of them probably do play football they're simply lads who weren't born with the coordination or balance etc to make it as a top player whereas the lads that do have that skill and may have been top players ended up playing Table tennis or weightlifting.

Or maybe the (slightly racist) answer is they may not, for the most part, have the right genetic make up for the sport. Similar to how West African nations produce better footballers to east African nations, (as genetically they tend to be more powerful and explosive and eastern Africans tend to be better at distance running due to the altitude of many east African countries) same as most black American footballers can trace their roots back to west African countries. So imo it's probably a mix of interest (they prefer watching to playing) and genetics (?(stereo typically Asians have better hand eye coordination which is why they dominate table tennis etc))

The lad at CSKA moscow and the young kid on loan at Feyenoord (?) from Arsenal are supposedly canny (only seen each of them play a few times in European games admittedly), but I do get Stevie's point. I reckon the best answer has been Alex's that the best athlete's gravitate to where the money (and fame) in the country is, Weightlifting, badminton, table tennis etc are dominated by Asians, so even though millions of them probably do play football they're simply lads who weren't born with the coordination or balance etc to make it as a top player whereas the lads that do have that skill and may have been top players ended up playing Table tennis or weightlifting.

Or maybe the (slightly racist) answer is they may not, for the most part, have the right genetic make up for the sport. Similar to how West African nations produce better footballers to east African nations, (as genetically they tend to be more powerful and explosive and eastern Africans tend to be better at distance running due to the altitude of many east African countries) same as most black American footballers can trace their roots back to west African countries. So imo it's probably a mix of interest (they prefer watching to playing) and genetics (?(stereo typically Asians have better hand eye coordination which is why they dominate table tennis etc))

Aye spot on. It's second nature to them using chopsticks. Every time I've had a go there's more on me pants than in me mouth. Good point about East and West Africans too.

Living here in Australia I get to watch Asian football pretty closely, so I know the good, the bad and the ugly side of it. Japan are a strong footballing nation in my opinion and are underestimated by many. Though the after-effects of the earthquake has set them back a bit, up until then they were on a high with decent results at the World Cup and an invitation to play at the Copa America in Argentina to test themselves against the best of South America.

They've overtaken Australia by a long way now (though you won't find many who would admit that here) and Japan are at a level now where I would put money on them beating England in a proper game (where it actually means something) if it were played tomorrow.

It's taken them 20 years to come to this point but right now players want to move abroad to test and prove themselves and to learn their trade whereas before it was too easy to stay in Japan because of lifestyle/cultural/monetary reasons. They are a great exporter of talent and they're even exporting centre-backs now, something you'd laugh at for even suggesting it 10 years ago. The obvious strengths and where they have great depth though are the number 10's, they've got a seemingly endless production line of them coming through who have scouts from Europe sniffing around them in Japan.

Most of their current internationals play in Europe and they've got quite a few in the 18-19 age bracket locked away playing in youth systems at top European clubs (like Bayern Munich, Dortmund and Arsenal). Technically the Japs are brilliant and they play possession-style football. It's almost impossible to get the ball off them unless you chop their legs down from under them - they are good to watch - they are essentially Asia's version of Spain.

Players (off the top of my head) playing in Europe at the moment include Nagatomo (LB Inter Milan), Makino (CB Koln), Uchida (RB Schalke), Okazaki (ST Stuttgart), Hasebe (MID Wolfsburg).

Kagawa and Honda are their two best players and most well known, with Honda probably being the only one who could cut it in the Premier League with his direct and physical nature.

Having said all that about the Japs and how good they're going, I don't know what China's deal is. 1.3 billion people and all they've got to show for it is a national team full of players with salad-bowl haircuts who can only dribble out of their mouths.

As for India, football is popular, one of the big local matches over there (can't remember the two teams) attracts 100,000 to the stadium, but there isn't anyone willing to put money into the game. All the money goes into cricket.

Living here in Australia I get to watch Asian football pretty closely, so I know the good, the bad and the ugly side of it. Japan are a strong footballing nation in my opinion and are underestimated by many. Though the after-effects of the earthquake has set them back a bit, up until then they were on a high with decent results at the World Cup and an invitation to play at the Copa America in Argentina to test themselves against the best of South America.

They've overtaken Australia by a long way now (though you won't find many who would admit that here) and Japan are at a level now where I would put money on them beating England in a proper game (where it actually means something) if it were played tomorrow.

It's taken them 20 years to come to this point but right now players want to move abroad to test and prove themselves and to learn their trade whereas before it was too easy to stay in Japan because of lifestyle/cultural/monetary reasons. They are a great exporter of talent and they're even exporting centre-backs now, something you'd laugh at for even suggesting it 10 years ago. The obvious strengths and where they have great depth though are the number 10's, they've got a seemingly endless production line of them coming through who have scouts from Europe sniffing around them in Japan.

Most of their current internationals play in Europe and they've got quite a few in the 18-19 age bracket locked away playing in youth systems at top European clubs (like Bayern Munich, Dortmund and Arsenal). Technically the Japs are brilliant and they play possession-style football. It's almost impossible to get the ball off them unless you chop their legs down from under them - they are good to watch - they are essentially Asia's version of Spain.

Players (off the top of my head) playing in Europe at the moment include Nagatomo (LB Inter Milan), Makino (CB Koln), Uchida (RB Schalke), Okazaki (ST Stuttgart), Hasebe (MID Wolfsburg).

Kagawa and Honda are their two best players and most well known, with Honda probably being the only one who could cut it in the Premier League with his direct and physical nature.

Utter pish. Japan lost today to wait for it.....drum roll................NORTH FUCKIN KOREA. That team in our group, Montenegro are better than Japan.

Having said all that about the Japs and how good they're going, I don't know what China's deal is. 1.3 billion people and all they've got to show for it is a national team full of players with salad-bowl haircuts who can only dribble out of their mouths.

As for India, football is popular, one of the big local matches over there (can't remember the two teams) attracts 100,000 to the stadium, but there isn't anyone willing to put money into the game. All the money goes into cricket.

See above. Japan is a developed first world economy. India is simply not and China, while it is moving towards first world levels of development in urban areas, it is still a quasi-feudal existance for their rural population.

Asia gets too many qualifiers for the World Cup, should give South America another one of theirs tbh, and that's a whole one, not taking away playoffs. Thing is, every South American country can at least put in a shift in the world cup, even like Bolivia would get a few points and not embarrass themselves, could you imagine any South American teams that'd do a North Korea, or get comfortably beating by S.Korea, Japan, Australia, Iran or China.

Asia gets too many qualifiers for the World Cup, should give South America another one of theirs tbh, and that's a whole one, not taking away playoffs. Thing is, every South American country can at least put in a shift in the world cup, even like Bolivia would get a few points and not embarrass themselves, could you imagine any South American teams that'd do a North Korea, or get comfortably beating by S.Korea, Japan, Australia, Iran or China.

The European Championship is much higher calibre than the World Cup looking at individual games. If I was in charge of FIFA. I'd give 20 places to Europe 6 to South America, 4 to Africa, 1 to North America and 1 to Asia (including Australia and NZ).

The European Championship is much higher calibre than the World Cup looking at individual games. If I was in charge of FIFA. I'd give 20 places to Europe 6 to South America, 4 to Africa, 1 to North America and 1 to Asia (including Australia and NZ).

Absolutely agree, I usually enjoy Euro's more than World Cup's (even 08 was good, being able to just enjoy the football), problem is, I do like having more more teams from all over. There should be more intercontinentals, like for North America/Asia/Africa give them all 2 automatics (North America's will just be Mexico and USA usually but they're good teams and the rest are shit) but give them all a certain amount (let's say 6)they can all claim. That way you've got more nations from all over the world whilst still having the better nations from each continent playing.

Utter pish. Japan lost today to wait for it.....drum roll................NORTH FUCKIN KOREA. That team in our group, Montenegro are better than Japan.

:lol: Confident enough of Japan beating England to put money on it, people are getting way too carried away here as 'shite' as people like to think England are we're still a very strong international side.

Edited by Barton7

Yeah. North America and Asia are such small markets. No point involving them. :glare:

:lol: Confident enough of Japan beating England to put money on it, people are getting way too carried away here as 'shite' as people like to think England are we're still a very strong international side.

I would put money on it, the odds would be too juicy to pass up!

Look, England couldn't even beat America or Algeria in the WC group stages... ALGERIA man. :lol:

When you consider how much money is in the game in England, to continually churn out technically inferior players is inexcusable imo.

I don't see much change with the next crop of players coming through either, but tbf it's too early to write off the likes of Ramsey at his stage of development. There was a time when tactics were to blame but not now. England are just plain shite. Picking up results by parking the bus does not make England a strong side - not in my eyes anyway.

Mind, it does look like Stevie's starting the "We're gonna win Euro 2012. I had a dream about it, and we'll beat Spain 3-0 in the final. I discussed it with Derek Acorah, and he agrees." build-up a bit early.

Stevie, don't make me dig out your post World Cup posts when you were in the depths of despair, and admitting that you'd let yourself get carried away with the whole thing again. ;)

You haven't said anything particularly damning yet, but I can just feel it bubbling under the surface, like a volcano that's been dormant but is coming back to life.

Edited by Gemmill