Why are Asians so shite at football?

McFaul

Living here in Australia I get to watch Asian football pretty closely, so I know the good, the bad and the ugly side of it. Japan are a strong footballing nation in my opinion and are underestimated by many. Though the after-effects of the earthquake has set them back a bit, up until then they were on a high with decent results at the World Cup and an invitation to play at the Copa America in Argentina to test themselves against the best of South America.

They've overtaken Australia by a long way now (though you won't find many who would admit that here) and Japan are at a level now where I would put money on them beating England in a proper game (where it actually means something) if it were played tomorrow.

It's taken them 20 years to come to this point but right now players want to move abroad to test and prove themselves and to learn their trade whereas before it was too easy to stay in Japan because of lifestyle/cultural/monetary reasons. They are a great exporter of talent and they're even exporting centre-backs now, something you'd laugh at for even suggesting it 10 years ago. The obvious strengths and where they have great depth though are the number 10's, they've got a seemingly endless production line of them coming through who have scouts from Europe sniffing around them in Japan.

Most of their current internationals play in Europe and they've got quite a few in the 18-19 age bracket locked away playing in youth systems at top European clubs (like Bayern Munich, Dortmund and Arsenal). Technically the Japs are brilliant and they play possession-style football. It's almost impossible to get the ball off them unless you chop their legs down from under them - they are good to watch - they are essentially Asia's version of Spain.

Players (off the top of my head) playing in Europe at the moment include Nagatomo (LB Inter Milan), Makino (CB Koln), Uchida (RB Schalke), Okazaki (ST Stuttgart), Hasebe (MID Wolfsburg).

Kagawa and Honda are their two best players and most well known, with Honda probably being the only one who could cut it in the Premier League with his direct and physical nature.

Utter pish. Japan lost today to wait for it.....drum roll................NORTH FUCKIN KOREA. That team in our group, Montenegro are better than Japan.

:lol: Confident enough of Japan beating England to put money on it, people are getting way too carried away here as 'shite' as people like to think England are we're still a very strong international side.

I've just noticed he'd put money on it :lol:

If England lost a game to North Korea, the manager would be sacked on the spot, they're ranked 125th in the world, below Moldova, Faroes, Cyprus or Luxembourg. If we lost against any of them it would be the biggest embarrassment in England's history, not just in football but in life. Fucking Japan :lol: He's just proven the world wide media machines relationship with England has two intensities, the one where England are going to win the World Cup and the other that Japan are better than us! It's always one of the other.

Stick to crying about the ashes and when we beat your rugby team convict.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind, it does look like Stevie's starting the "We're gonna win Euro 2012. I had a dream about it, and we'll beat Spain 3-0 in the final. I discussed it with Derek Acorah, and he agrees." build-up a bit early.

Stevie, don't make me dig out your post World Cup posts when you were in the depths of despair, and admitting that you'd let yourself get carried away with the whole thing again. ;)

You haven't said anything particularly damning yet, but I can just feel it bubbling under the surface, like a volcano that's been dormant but is coming back to life.

There's be no statements about winning it, I mean we're not a good side and not good enough, but I repeat we are the 4th at worst 5th best side in Europe. There'll be no volcano, at worst it'll lie dormant with a 3.6 on the richter scale earthquake if we beat one of the big teams in the groups. That has been statistically consistent for probably ten years. As for whether some nobhead in Walkaboutcreek thinks we're shite that's up to him. I'm sure he's aware Australia are worse than Scotland, Ireland and arguably Wales which is why he should stick to dodging sharks and drinking Fosters.

We could end up with this group as well. Oh dear. Spain, England, Portugal, France. Literally anything could happen if that's what we get, but on the other side of the coin, we could get Poland, England, Greece, Ireland.

I will tell you why.

Unlike in England, there is no meaningful welfare state. It results in people who have to give up their talents to work to raise a living, even at an early age. Vast majority of these countries are poorer and though, countries like India have many millionaires and billionaires, there are many more living in and around the poverty line. These people can't afford the coaching that you will get in England, etc. This coaching does help significantly. In England, hopeless people who have no interest in the sport, are given multiple chances, there they don't even get one chance. Those who have talents/money are focused on their education because if you don't make football, you are nothing. You need something to fall back on.

More to it, the governments are often raged in corruption. Money that should be spent on sport, enters the back pocket of a lot of the government. As a result, football funding is virtually 0.

Climatic factors also play a part, can you expect to be playing meaningful football in the Himalayas or in 40 degrees?

In England, we are fortunate to have green grass, on which we can slide about, etc. There, it is often dusty, hard ground. Make one meaningful slide, probably injure yourself.

There is also a genetic element probably aswell.

I could go on and on about the reasons why.

Edited by Flair

I will tell you why.

Unlike in England, there is no meaningful welfare state. It results in people who have to give up their talents to work to raise a living, even at an early age. Vast majority of these countries are poorer and though, countries like India have many millionaires and billionaires, there are many more living in and around the poverty line. These people can't afford the coaching that you will get in England, etc. This coaching does help significantly. In England, hopeless people who have no interest in the sport, are given multiple chances, there they don't even get one chance. Those who have talents/money are focused on their education because if you don't make football, you are nothing. You need something to fall back on.

More to it, the governments are often raged in corruption. Money that should be spent on sport, enters the back pocket of a lot of the government. As a result, football funding is virtually 0.

Well put across. How does that explain the fact that Asian population of England and France is probably the same if not more than the black populations, yet there are literally NO asian players at all, yet blacks make up maybe 25%.

I will tell you why.

Well put across. How does that explain the fact that Asian population of England and France is probably the same if not more than the black populations, yet there are literally NO asian players at all, yet blacks make up maybe 25%.

You will find that asian parents push their children in education rather than sports. It's a cultural thing. You will also find that asians (Indian and Chinese) children tend to perform the best in public examinations also.

Where they are pushed, it's often cricket, etc.

There is a genetic element aswell, asians tend to be less built.

I will tell you why.

You will find that asian parents push their children in education rather than sports. It's a cultural thing. You will also find that asians (Indian and Chinese) children tend to perform the best in public examinations also.

There are more Pakistani's than Indians and Chinese put together though in the UK. They certainly don't come in to your education remarks, looking at places like Bradford and Oldham. Spanish are less built look at their midfield but they do ok.

4.2/7=.6.......... :rolleyes: and the population of asia is closer to 3.9 billion so its 3.9/7=.55...but don't let that stop you from spouting shit stevie....... :good:

not trying to be pedantic either, just getting fed up with stevie's myopic view of the world backed up by bullshit (inaccurate/made up stats)

Edited by tooner

I will tell you why.

There are more Pakistani's than Indians and Chinese put together though in the UK. They certainly don't come in to your education remarks, looking at places like Bradford and Oldham. Spanish are less built look at their midfield but they do ok.

Indian 1,053,411 1.8% Pakistani 977,285 1.6%

UK statistics above. That said, I know a lot of Bangladeshi and Pakistani people do claim to be 'Indian' when there aren't. In any case, I guess when you look at Pakistan with just cricket and its corruption, you don't need to really answer why they aren't so good at football.

As for the UK Pakistanis, I can't offer an explanation.

Though, what you do say seems to be a case of 2+2=5 to me with regard to the Spanish.

Maybe its a cultural thing. Football is counter-intuitive since you don't use your hands. Maybe asian parents living in the UK who are first or even second generation immigrants don't kick a ball around with their kids like most European/African parents do so the motor skills aren't developed as they are in others. Coupled with cultural pressures and everything else that I already mentioned and Flair expanded upon.

You should read Guns, Germs and Steel it might soften your racist undertones a bit.

Living here in Australia I get to watch Asian football pretty closely, so I know the good, the bad and the ugly side of it. Japan are a strong footballing nation in my opinion and are underestimated by many. Though the after-effects of the earthquake has set them back a bit, up until then they were on a high with decent results at the World Cup and an invitation to play at the Copa America in Argentina to test themselves against the best of South America.

They've overtaken Australia by a long way now (though you won't find many who would admit that here) and Japan are at a level now where I would put money on them beating England in a proper game (where it actually means something) if it were played tomorrow.

It's taken them 20 years to come to this point but right now players want to move abroad to test and prove themselves and to learn their trade whereas before it was too easy to stay in Japan because of lifestyle/cultural/monetary reasons. They are a great exporter of talent and they're even exporting centre-backs now, something you'd laugh at for even suggesting it 10 years ago. The obvious strengths and where they have great depth though are the number 10's, they've got a seemingly endless production line of them coming through who have scouts from Europe sniffing around them in Japan.

Most of their current internationals play in Europe and they've got quite a few in the 18-19 age bracket locked away playing in youth systems at top European clubs (like Bayern Munich, Dortmund and Arsenal). Technically the Japs are brilliant and they play possession-style football. It's almost impossible to get the ball off them unless you chop their legs down from under them - they are good to watch - they are essentially Asia's version of Spain.

Players (off the top of my head) playing in Europe at the moment include Nagatomo (LB Inter Milan), Makino (CB Koln), Uchida (RB Schalke), Okazaki (ST Stuttgart), Hasebe (MID Wolfsburg).

Kagawa and Honda are their two best players and most well known, with Honda probably being the only one who could cut it in the Premier League with his direct and physical nature.

Utter pish. Japan lost today to wait for it.....drum roll................NORTH FUCKIN KOREA. That team in our group, Montenegro are better than Japan.

:lol: Confident enough of Japan beating England to put money on it, people are getting way too carried away here as 'shite' as people like to think England are we're still a very strong international side.

If England lost a game to North Korea, the manager would be sacked on the spot, they're ranked 125th in the world, below Moldova, Faroes, Cyprus or Luxembourg. If we lost against any of them it would be the biggest embarrassment in England's history, not just in football but in life. Fucking Japan :lol: He's just proven the world wide media machines relationship with England has two intensities, the one where England are going to win the World Cup and the other that Japan are better than us! It's always one of the other.

Japan had already qualified for the next round by the time they played North Korea you arse-clown, so therefore the fixture was quite literally meaningless. Tbf though, going to Pyongyang and picking up a result is a right old cunt for any team, not least of all Japan who North Koreans are educated to hate and are treated in an extremely hostile manner from the moment their plane lands on their turf. Now could England go over there and do it? Fuck off man, they can't even beat Algeria on neutral territory, you're having a laugh there! :icon_lol:

As I've posted before, it wouldn't matter who the manager of England is. If you don't have the players the best thing to do is park the bus and scrap, Capello had obviously come to that conclusion the moment he agreed to take on that dead-end job.

And aside from thinking the FIFA ranking system is a joke and should not be taken seriously - is going to Moldova, Faroes, Cyprus or Luxembourg as an unappealing prospect as going to a muppet state with third-rate facilities? No, not quite.

I think Flair has come the closest with his answer. At least as far as Pakistan/India are concerned.

1. No facilities/grounds etc. And where you do its like playing on a hardcourt, grass is a luxury.

2. Cant make a living off the sport. Not even a chance.

3. Weather. Trying playing football at 50 degrees Celsius, you'll have a stroke in 15 minutes.

4. 60% of the population struggling for food and water, the rest desperately trying to stay clear of that 60%. Sports are not a priority.

5. Exposure. Barely anyone followed European League's 10-12 years ago, there was virtually no interest in the game. This will change soon, already has perhaps. Every little kid is now a fan of one club or the other. Reason is now you can get a cable package with channels broadcasting Spanish, English, Italian, CL, International games for as little as 2-3 quid per month.

6. Because there was no awareness and interest, that all important sporting 'culture' you need does not exist.

This hold true for South Asian states, as for Japan/Korea/China I guess its the culture thing, and you can already see its changing because of the TV explosion.

Me and Alex were saying more or less what Flair said 500 pages ago.

Eng football is built on some kind of Arthurian legend of mythical proportions and the court of King A never really stretched to Bangalore...Peshwar or Derra (made up)..

If you look at the best French and Dutch players of recent times they weren't white anglo saxons either..Even the whiter ones like Zidane and say Benzema have a bit of Arab blood...The Spanish of course carry the legacy of the Moors (Blacks)...If we really want to get down to it the root race of the planet (Africans) are probably the most suited to the rigours of most sport inc football. Indians prefer cricket cause it's more cerebral [/pubtalk]

Edited by Park Life

I will tell you why.

You are just pulling these stats out of your arse :lol:

Japan had already qualified for the next round by the time they played North Korea you arse-clown, so therefore the fixture was quite literally meaningless. Tbf though, going to Pyongyang and picking up a result is a right old cunt for any team, not least of all Japan who North Koreans are educated to hate and are treated in an extremely hostile manner from the moment their plane lands on their turf. Now could England go over there and do it? Fuck off man, they can't even beat Algeria on neutral territory, you're having a laugh there! :icon_lol:

As I've posted before, it wouldn't matter who the manager of England is. If you don't have the players the best thing to do is park the bus and scrap, Capello had obviously come to that conclusion the moment he agreed to take on that dead-end job.

And aside from thinking the FIFA ranking system is a joke and should not be taken seriously - is going to Moldova, Faroes, Cyprus or Luxembourg as an unappealing prospect as going to a muppet state with third-rate facilities? No, not quite.

What a cunt. Four words come to mind "sport to new the". That's that.

I think Flair has come the closest with his answer. At least as far as Pakistan/India are concerned.

1. No facilities/grounds etc. And where you do its like playing on a hardcourt, grass is a luxury.

2. Cant make a living off the sport. Not even a chance.

3. Weather. Trying playing football at 50 degrees Celsius, you'll have a stroke in 15 minutes.

4. 60% of the population struggling for food and water, the rest desperately trying to stay clear of that 60%. Sports are not a priority.

5. Exposure. Barely anyone followed European League's 10-12 years ago, there was virtually no interest in the game. This will change soon, already has perhaps. Every little kid is now a fan of one club or the other. Reason is now you can get a cable package with channels broadcasting Spanish, English, Italian, CL, International games for as little as 2-3 quid per month.

6. Because there was no awareness and interest, that all important sporting 'culture' you need does not exist.

This hold true for South Asian states, as for Japan/Korea/China I guess its the culture thing, and you can already see its changing because of the TV explosion.

Fair post. STILL it doesn't totally satisy my 4.7 billion and not one decent footballer point, but it goes a long way.

I will tell you why.

You are just pulling these stats out of your arse :lol:

Am I fuck. Count the white/black ratio in Arsenal's squad.

And by sheer coincidence (I've just found out now skimming through for Australia's next fixtures) and as luck would have it, Japan play England in a friendly on the 14th of January... :lol:

How much then, Stevie?

50?

100??

200???

From the perspective of earnings potential, one would think (and this relates more to the Japs) baseball offers a more lucrative career pathway. The Jap Baseball League is huge, pays well, and it's a feeder system/league for the American Major League. At a talent base level (ie. grassroots level) they're probably not that far behind their US and Cuban counterparts too - they can knock them off on any given day.

BTW China winning the Women's WC was a sad day for World Football. Blindly buying merchandise, as the proverbial 'Johnny Come Lately' European Football Supporter, is a more fitting place for this lot.

The last thing you would wish on anybody was to be a POW of the Jap Military, in WW2. As a race (Chinese & Japs especially) they're ingnorantly indifferent to suffering, in regards to human & animal suffering. Watching their physically inadequate national teams being beaten-up by more imposing outfits (at the major tourneys) is like catching a lone ray of sunshine on a cloudy day

I think it's quite sad that in Thailand etc. you get one man and his dog watching the matches there but everyone goes mad for the Premier League.

It's even sadder when the dog gets barbecued at half-time.

Probably skinned alive first..... intact fur and all.

Edited by Year Zero

From the perspective of earnings potential, one would think (and this relates more to the Japs) baseball offers a more lucrative career pathway. The Jap Baseball League is huge, pays well, and it's a feeder system/league for the American Major League. At a talent base level (ie. grassroots level) they're probably not that far behind their US and Cuban counterparts too - they can knock them off on any given day.

BTW China winning the Women's WC was a sad day for World Football. Blindly buying merchandise, as the proverbial 'Johnny Come Lately' European Football Supporter, is a more fitting place for this lot.

The last thing you would wish on anybody was to be a POW of the Jap Military, in WW2. As a race (Chinese & Japs especially) they're ingnorantly indifferent to suffering, in regards to human & animal suffering. Watching their physically inadequate national teams being beaten-up by more imposing outfits (at the major tourneys) is like catching a lone ray of sunshine on a cloudy day

When did China ever win the WC you silly nugget? :lol:

And the last time I was over there in Japan (2007) just about every domesticated animal I saw looked to be happy enough, well at least they didn't seem like they were suffering. And there's plenty more respect going around there than in the west, having witnessed it myself.

And physically inadequate? Maybe if the sport were rugby, there would be little argument about that, but not football. The few examples like Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Alves and Messi are all testament to that.

Are your other 500 odd posts as stupid as this one man? Fuck me, by failing to get your steriotypes right you've failed even before you started. Why did you even bother? :lol: