Santon > Raylor

Kid Dynamite

Whereas I suppose dropping a player in the form of his life after one bad game (against the best side in the country - on current form) is perfectly logical.

Agreed. This thread is a bit mental.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's definitely a problem player especially against the best sides, as his defiencies force Gutierrez to be far more defensive than we'd like him to be.

Definitely something Pardew needs to look into, and it sounds like Santon is competing with Simpson so we're low on other options.

I'd obviously like to see Ferguson, Tavernier and Kadar given a chance at some point. Like said earlier in this thread though, suddenly dropping Taylor wouldn't be right.

I thought he had a good game today. End of the day were where we are because we have had a consistent back four who know how to work with one another. He may not be an out an out RB but he is adapting well to the position and I wouldn't be messing around with the formation now.

• 7 months later...

Bump. Wonder how many people still want Raylor playing LB ;)

Here's a new interview with Santon in the Italian press

Santon to Calcio Mercato: Never again to Inter. AC Milan? It would be beautiful.

Simone Togna: “Firstly, how are you physically?”

Davide Santon: “I’m really good. I recovered from a knee injury and now I’m facing the preparation with Newcastle at my best.”

Simone Togna: “Do you feel perfectly integrated in the team now?”

Davide Santon: “Absolutely, yes. I am fine with everyone from my colleagues in the team to the fans, and now that I understand what the coach wants from me I’m ready to play a great season.”

Simone Togna: “But have you had any difficulties? Perhaps with his (Pardew’s) English?”

Davide Santon: “Yes, in the beginning I did have some problems with the English, understanding what Pardew wanted from me and also the style of the Premier League, but that’s all in the past now.”

Simone Togna: “This year, where do you want to go?”

Davide Santon: “I think we can safely fight for a place in the Champions League. It’s hard, but we can do it.”

Simone Togna: “What is the difference with the Italian league?”

Davide Santon: “The Italian league is more tactical, more physical than the English league, and there is also much more space to play. It’s another reason why I am fine here across the Channel. Here (in England) more of the fans will the fans will support you always, even if you lose three / four straight games, they will continue to cheer for you, without whistling and complaining at the first difficulty.”

Simone Togna: “Which colleagues do you get along with the best?”

Davide Santon: “I get along with them all honestly. If I speak Italian I do so with Captain Coloccini (an ex AC Milan player of Italian heritage of course with a name like “Coloccini”). But we are all really united and close. There are no problems between us, and I think we see that on the pitch.”

Simone Togna: “Why do you young Italians phenomenons like yourself, Verratti, Balotelli, etc emigrate abroad?”

Davide Santon: “Simple: because in Italy you do not bet on young people.”

Simone Togna: “Is this the reason why you left Inter?”

Davide Santon: “I left because I had not played away from Inter. I needed my space to grow and prove my worth. I also had some problems with the Nerazzurri, beginning with (Rafael) Benitez in particular who did not see me. For this reason I left, and now I’m delighted to be able to defend in the shirt of Newcastle. If I were the owner I’d probably still in Milan, but since I was not playing, I decided to change the air to show my worth.”

Simone Togna: “But you miss the Premier League? Or do you miss Italy?”

Davide Santon: “The only thing I miss is the food of Italy (What’s wrong with ham and pease pudding stotties like, Davide?). For the rest I do not miss anything much. Since I started playing Pardew has continued to select me for games here, and I am appreciated by all. Despite being young I feel the confidence of all toward me. Then I found love here, and got engaged to an English girl who loves me for myself and is not looking for fame.”

Simone Togna: “The Inter fans are always very fond of you and miss you, Would you ever go back?

Davide Santon: “I can only thank the Inter fans who are always with me because they were really beautiful, but I do not think of ever returning to Inter.”

Simone Togna: “Do you still hear from the Inter players?”

Davide Santon: “Obi (young Inter midfileder, Joel Obi). We exchange a few short message from time to time. With the others I have pretty much lost contact.”

Simone Togna: “What has Mourinho given you more than the other coaches?”

Davide Santon: “Firstly, I should say that I can only thank him because he was the first to give me confidence and focus on me. He knew how to get me fired up, to use the right words at the right moment. It caused me to feel like never before and transmitted a winning mentality to me.”

Simone Togna: “With Mourinho you marked and defused Cristiano Ronaldo…”

Davide Santon: “Yes, it was the perfect match. Even today people stop me on the street and congratulate me for that match. Against Manchester United ended 0-0, but I really played a big match and I’m proud to be able to limit one of the strongest players in the world.”

Simone Togna: “Mourinho called you a phenomenal youngster, Lippi called you a predestined one (when he also compared Santon with a young Paolo Maldini). What is your dream career?

Davide Santon: “Winning the World Cup with Italy, as well as some great victory with my club.”

Simone Togna: “Who’s the best player you’ve played?”

Davide Santon: “Luis Figo, a real phenomenon.”

Simone Togna: “What do you think of (Sulley) Muntari and Lucio (ex Inter and Juventus players respectively), who went to Milan and angered Inter and Juve fans?”

Davide Santon: “After all they have won and lived through together for Inter, they could have avoided certain phrases, but if they felt the need to utter them, they had their reasons…”

Simone Togna: “You would never go to Milan?”

Davide Santon: “Well, as a child I was a fan of Milan, so it would certainly be beautiful to wear the shirt of the team I supported as a child. But after playing for Inter it would be a choice which I should perhaps reflect on.”

Simone Togna: “According to Radiomercato you are being followed by Rome.”

Davide Santon: “Yes, it is true. The Giallorossi (Yellow and Reds) spoke with the leaders of Newcastle, but the British have explained how I was not for sale. And I’m glad they did it.”

Simone Togna: “You are the captain the (Italy) Under 21 side, you are very strong, where you can get?”

Davide Santon: “Firstly I’m sorry about the departure of Ciro Ferrara (the ex Italy 21 coach), who will do very well at Sampdoria. But we have a very strong national side, of course we aim to win the European Championship.”

Simone Togna: “Who is strongest player of the light blues (Italy)?”

Davide Santon: “I think we really have a good squad and we are all strong, but if I should give you a name I would say Mattia Destro (young striker just signed by Roma from Siena) who will do well at Roma or Juve. But the important thing is that wherever I go, they do play and not stay on the bench, because he is very strong and trustworthy.”

Simone Togna: “But soon you want to regain a place in the full national team I guess…”

Davide Santon: “Absolutely, yes. I tell you I would have expected to be present in the selection of the National Pre Europeans. I’m not saying that I had to finish in the final 23, but I thought at least the final 30. But I have no problem with Prandelli, I will do my best to get new confidence in the hope of returning as soon as possible to defend the colours of the national team. I know it depends only on me, then I will do my best to play in the Confederations Cup next year and especially the World Cup in Brazil in two years.”

Davide Santon: “Did you expect the European Championships to go so handsomely for the Blues (Italy)?”

Davide Santon: “Seeing the game expressed by the team, I hoped they could go far. Too bad for the final, but congratulations to the Blues.”

• 1 month later...

Can I just say this lad is getting better and better and to me is proving to be a real find. All he needs to do which I'm sure will come in time is sort out his end product. He has everything a full-back needs.

Guaranteed a 7/10 at the moment from me at the very least.

Apparently he gave his first post match interview in English to .cock after the match today. So he's getting to grips with the lingo.

considering the shocking grammatical errors i've seen on the official site, perhaps he can teach the journalists something....

Apparently he gave his first post match interview in English to .cock after the match today. So he's getting to grips with the lingo.

Yes he did.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/TV/InterviewsDetail/0,,10278~2927718,00.html

Decent enough language skills, not fluent yet and didn't look particularly comfortable. Thanked his girlfriend which was nice of him - if I recall correctly she's from Newcastle? A good thing in my opinion, will help him settle and isn't some Italian girl who'd be pining for him to join a Serie A club so they could get out of England.

Can I just say this lad is getting better and better and to me is proving to be a real find. All he needs to do which I'm sure will come in time is sort out his end product. He has everything a full-back needs.

Guaranteed a 7/10 at the moment from me at the very least.

Behind Ben Arfa he's probably been our best player for me, does his job in attack and defence and will only keep getting better i think. And he's technically playing out of position as i'm sure he'd play RB if given a choice.

Behind Ben Arfa he's probably been our best player for me, does his job in attack and defence and will only keep getting better i think. And he's technically playing out of position as i'm sure he'd play RB if given a choice.

Would have Colo, Krul and Ba as better players, at least more influential.

Santon is looking very good though.

Look up the santon thread on my phone and cba typing a spiel but, he's played rb and rw for both inter and Italy and yeah he got on there when Maicon was injured and likewise only featured on the left to fill in for the same reasons

Fabio/rafeal are prime examples they can do both but they have prefered sides, and being on the correct side makes a world of difference both tackling and end product wise when your not having to waste time drawing back, switching feet etcetc

Paolo Maldini and Stuart Pearce were both right footed left backs.....just saying like... ;)

Maldini was two footed, and i'm not saying Santon isn't a decent leftback, he is... but he'd be better on the right, and you'd see considerably more end product from him if he was.

He taught himself to be two footed though, he was naturally right footed. Going outside a fullback and getting the cross in at the byline is becoming rare nowadays as far as I can make out, usually a midfileder makes a wide overlapping run when the fullback cuts inside, I think we've seen Ben Arfa do it regualrly playing with Santon and with players of their abilities it works very well.

Maldini was two footed, and i'm not saying Santon isn't a decent leftback, he is... but he'd be better on the right, and you'd see considerably more end product from him if he was.

(if santon proves to be half the player for us that Maldini was in his career, he can play wherever the fuck he likes :lol:)

Maldini is imo the greatest defender ever, even better than the Kaiser who is the only one who could arguably rival him

After that you can have Baresi/Alberto/Passarella/Cafu McGrath:wub: etc but they all had faults/problems, Maldini just had everything, and when he started to lose his pace and had to move into the middle it made no odds as his positioning had always been faultless anyway, the benchmark for the complete defender.

Baresi never had any problems. He's the best centre half I've ever seen bar none.

Also I wouldn't have Cafu up there. Zanetti has been a far better full-back than Cafu.

he was also in Milans starting 11 at the age of 16, there is no sense us comparing what maldini can do/did to frankly any defender especially a 22 year old one.

It's becoming rare yes, but it happens, infact it happens more than you'd think, but the fact is if you're on the wrong side you have to

#1 look up see the lay of the land

#2 whose around you do you have time to switch feet

#3 is someone over lapping, are you being closed down, can you cut inside, can you go down the outside

when you're on the correct side the balls already on your proficient foot, if you look up you can ping it if there is something on, at the minute he can't, and a lot of the time if you watch the highlights we end up wasting time/oppurtunities because none of the above are on and we play it across the middle giving time for players to get back and defender...or he cuts inside trying to look for an opening to have a dig and ends up facing a wall of defenders blocking it.

just watching the highlights and he put a lovely ball into the box with his left in the first half so maybe we're both wrong! :lol:

Horses for courses at the moment, trying to sign Debuchy this summer indicates that as we speak Pardew sees him on the left, I've no real complaints. After this summer, we know we'll have to be patient if we want that situation to change.