Kid Dynamite

Santon > Raylor

Apparently he gave his first post match interview in English to .cock after the match today. So he's getting to grips with the lingo.

Yes he did.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/TV/InterviewsDetail/0,,10278~2927718,00.html

Decent enough language skills, not fluent yet and didn't look particularly comfortable. Thanked his girlfriend which was nice of him - if I recall correctly she's from Newcastle? A good thing in my opinion, will help him settle and isn't some Italian girl who'd be pining for him to join a Serie A club so they could get out of England.

Can I just say this lad is getting better and better and to me is proving to be a real find. All he needs to do which I'm sure will come in time is sort out his end product. He has everything a full-back needs.

Guaranteed a 7/10 at the moment from me at the very least.

Behind Ben Arfa he's probably been our best player for me, does his job in attack and defence and will only keep getting better i think. And he's technically playing out of position as i'm sure he'd play RB if given a choice.

Look up the santon thread, on my phone and cba typing a spiel but, he's played rb and rw for both inter and Italy and yeah he got on there when Maicon was injured and likewise only featured on the left to fill in for the same reasons

Fabio/rafeal are prime examples they can do both but they have prefered sides, and being on the correct side makes a world of difference both tackling and end product wise when your not having to waste time drawing back, switching feet etcetc

edit > btw he hasn't actually got a look in for italy either senior or u21 for ages , he was u21 captain but Mangia hasn't called him up since taking over,

as for the senior squad , the likes of Abate & De Sciglio at AC are getting call ups with Maggio being the experienced choice, like anything playing in italy, and on top of that playing for one of core clubs helps.

Behind Ben Arfa he's probably been our best player for me, does his job in attack and defence and will only keep getting better i think. And he's technically playing out of position as i'm sure he'd play RB if given a choice.

Would have Colo, Krul and Ba as better players, at least more influential.

Santon is looking very good though.

Look up the santon thread on my phone and cba typing a spiel but, he's played rb and rw for both inter and Italy and yeah he got on there when Maicon was injured and likewise only featured on the left to fill in for the same reasons

Fabio/rafeal are prime examples they can do both but they have prefered sides, and being on the correct side makes a world of difference both tackling and end product wise when your not having to waste time drawing back, switching feet etcetc

Paolo Maldini and Stuart Pearce were both right footed left backs.....just saying like... ;)

Maldini was two footed, and i'm not saying Santon isn't a decent leftback, he is... but he'd be better on the right, and you'd see considerably more end product from him if he was.

(if santon proves to be half the player for us that Maldini was in his career, he can play wherever the fuck he likes :lol:)

Maldini is imo the greatest defender ever, even better than the Kaiser who is the only one who could arguably rival him

After that you can have Baresi/Alberto/Passarella/Cafu McGrath:wub: etc but they all had faults/problems, Maldini just had everything, and when he started to lose his pace and had to move into the middle it made no odds as his positioning had always been faultless anyway, the benchmark for the complete defender.

He's going to be a great player, and is showing signs of being one already. Under no illusions that he won't go back to Milan eventually like. Find him a joy to watch at times.

Maldini was two footed, and i'm not saying Santon isn't a decent leftback, he is... but he'd be better on the right, and you'd see considerably more end product from him if he was.

He taught himself to be two footed though, he was naturally right footed. Going outside a fullback and getting the cross in at the byline is becoming rare nowadays as far as I can make out, usually a midfileder makes a wide overlapping run when the fullback cuts inside, I think we've seen Ben Arfa do it regualrly playing with Santon and with players of their abilities it works very well.

He taught himself to be two footed though, he was naturally right footed. Going outside a fullback and getting the cross in at the byline is becoming rare nowadays as far as I can make out, usually a midfileder makes a wide overlapping run when the fullback cuts inside, I think we've seen Ben Arfa do it regualrly playing with Santon and with players of their abilities it works very well.

he was also in Milans starting 11 at the age of 16, there is no sense us comparing what maldini can do/did to frankly any defender especially a 22 year old one.

It's becoming rare yes, but it happens, infact it happens more than you'd think, but the fact is if you're on the wrong side you have to

#1 look up see the lay of the land

#2 whose around you do you have time to switch feet

#3 is someone over lapping, are you being closed down, can you cut inside, can you go down the outside

when you're on the correct side the balls already on your proficient foot, if you look up you can ping it if there is something on, at the minute he can't, and a lot of the time if you watch the highlights we end up wasting time/oppurtunities because none of the above are on and we play it across the middle giving time for players to get back and defender...or he cuts inside trying to look for an opening to have a dig and ends up facing a wall of defenders blocking it.

like i said in the santon thread, i was a fan of his before he was ever even linked with us and because I like AC i watch a decent amount of the italian games, he'd be better on the right, and you'd see more end product if he was.

Being on the wrong side for a winger who is a bit two footed isn't a big deal, they can if they have to use the weaker foot and still be reasonable or like ben arfa they have the skill to make room, switch feet in the blink of an eye, or cut inside and unleash a decent shot.

But Jonas for example, his left is woeful, he's not a "tricky" winger, more awkward and good at drawing fouls, which is why his crosses tend to be piss poor or closed down often, he's on our team because he gets us loads of free kicks and he works his arse off to protect his fullback, if he was on the right his end product would again be better (not massively but you'd see more balls into the box) mostly because he wouldn't be arsing about buying time to switch feet and being closed down.

Would have Colo, Krul and Ba as better players, at least more influential.

Santon is looking very good though.

He said has been our best player, not us our best. ;)

(if santon proves to be half the player for us that Maldini was in his career, he can play wherever the fuck he likes :lol:)

Maldini is imo the greatest defender ever, even better than the Kaiser who is the only one who could arguably rival him

After that you can have Baresi/Alberto/Passarella/Cafu McGrath:wub: etc but they all had faults/problems, Maldini just had everything, and when he started to lose his pace and had to move into the middle it made no odds as his positioning had always been faultless anyway, the benchmark for the complete defender.

Baresi never had any problems. He's the best centre half I've ever seen bar none.

Also I wouldn't have Cafu up there. Zanetti has been a far better full-back than Cafu.

he was also in Milans starting 11 at the age of 16, there is no sense us comparing what maldini can do/did to frankly any defender especially a 22 year old one.

It's becoming rare yes, but it happens, infact it happens more than you'd think, but the fact is if you're on the wrong side you have to

#1 look up see the lay of the land

#2 whose around you do you have time to switch feet

#3 is someone over lapping, are you being closed down, can you cut inside, can you go down the outside

when you're on the correct side the balls already on your proficient foot, if you look up you can ping it if there is something on, at the minute he can't, and a lot of the time if you watch the highlights we end up wasting time/oppurtunities because none of the above are on and we play it across the middle giving time for players to get back and defender...or he cuts inside trying to look for an opening to have a dig and ends up facing a wall of defenders blocking it.

just watching the highlights and he put a lovely ball into the box with his left in the first half so maybe we're both wrong! :lol:

Horses for courses at the moment, trying to sign Debuchy this summer indicates that as we speak Pardew sees him on the left, I've no real complaints. After this summer, we know we'll have to be patient if we want that situation to change.

Well Madini and Beckenbauer were for the vast majority of their careers playing in completely different posistions and with different roles and jobs in the teams they played for so its not a good comparison iyam. Beckenbauer invented the attacking "Libero" position, or sweeper as it was known in this country, on his own virtually. You would never have described Maldini as a sweeper, despite his move to the middle later in his career. As a defender he was a marker, as most Italian defenders are..a brilliant one as you say like, but there were big diffferences between them.

I'm glad to see the defensive side of his game is slowly improving with more games. He's always looked a bit suspect to me when wingers go 1-on-1 against him, but now he's winning possession for us consistently. Looks like he's acclimatising very well.

Give it another season and he'll be the best attacking left back in the league.

Would still ideally like us to sign a left-footed full-back and see him moved to the right to combine with HBA.

yup me too, but either way i was more than happy when we were linked with him but didn't think we'd sign him, ecstatic when we did, and now he's getting on every week he's coming on leaps and bounds.

He'll be pushing Abate/DeSciglio and co for the italian senior squad with the regular appearances