Santon > Raylor

Kid Dynamite

It's not just about them upping their game though. It's about our team defending from the front and pressing more. The reason we look so bad at the back is under Pardew we sit so deep and just hit it long and invite pressure on our defence straight away.

Agreed - look at BVB - counter pressing, attacking without the ball.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just about them upping their game though. It's about our team defending from the front and pressing more. The reason we look so bad at the back is under Pardew we sit so deep and just hit it long and invite pressure on our defence straight away.

I know mate. I oversimplified it there. It's certainly not just down to them.

Unless its been edited, mourihno is basically saying at 17 he looked like he had all that was needed to break through.

Can't see him saying anything about the current Santon.

I'm quite happy to wait and see if he's improved this year.

comparing him to maldini isn't exactly saying he has what it takes to be a professional

sorry, here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Maldini

The Chelsea boss sounded regretful when speaking about his struggles to blood young players during his time at Inter and the bad luck that saw Davide Santon’s career not live up to expectation.

Well of course he's regretful - he'd obviously rather one of his rising players didn't suffer two bad injuries which kept him from regaining his place - it's more of a criticism of the culture of Italian football than anything else.

So basically he's saying what he's always said - Santon has what it takes to be a top player & he's disappointed that Inter let him go . He kept Maicon & Chivu out of the line up at Inter & they found it hard to get their places back . Inter Fans were gutted to lose him & if you watched him keeping Cristiano Ronaldo quiet it's easy to see why.

AC Milan bid for him earlier this year & Allegri, Berlusconi, Galliani, Lippi, C. Ronaldo, Moratti & a whole host of other rate him highly - with good reason.

If you can't appreciate how revered Santon is in Italy & across European football I can only imagine it stems from you ''only watching Newcastle'' or having a poorly developed knowledge of the game.

The Chelsea boss sounded regretful when speaking about his struggles to blood young players during his time at Inter and the bad luck that saw Davide Santon’s career not live up to expectation.

Career not living up to expectation

He's 22!

He suffered as a result of being in an inderperforming team, lost interest in a similar fashion to Coloccini in the second part of his first season with us. If we can have a settled back four his defense will pick up. At the right age for his positional sense to improve also.

• 2 months later...

I would say never. Can't see him coming back to any decent level after those two injuries.

And I would add that if he was in the team, everyone would be screaming for him to be replaced as they always have. He's another that (the odd freekick aside) is simply not a premiership player.

his all round game was much better the season we finished 5th tbf, especially positionally at full back. he offered genuine quality from set pieces too - something we've lacked since his injuries.

Me too. He seems to be a canny bloke and gives it his best. But he's rank average and everyone would be desperate to have him dropped a couple of games after he's back.

I think the any injury which keeps a player out for two seasons is going to fuck him too. He's certainly not going to be better off for it. He'll be 30 by the start of next season too so his age isn't going to help him on that score either.

his all round game was much better the season we finished 5th tbf, especially positionally at full back. he offered genuine quality from set pieces too - something we've lacked since his injuries.

No it wasn't. Do you not remember the away game at QPR as an example? Wright-Phillips tore him apart. He had Jonas playing ridicuously deep as protection as well as a very rigid back four hiding his deficiencies. It it wasn't for his set pieces and other goals he wouldn't have this status that he does.

No it wasn't. Do you not remember the away game at QPR as an example? Wright-Phillips tore him apart. He had Jonas playing ridicuously deep as protection as well as a very rigid back four hiding his deficiencies. It it wasn't for his set pieces and other goals he wouldn't have this status that he does.

Saying that, we were aware of each others deficiencies and covered each other a lot more than we seem to be doing now.

not saying he was flawless but he put in way better performances, beyond scoring the odd wonder goal. our defence was a lot tighter that season and the fact he held his position a lot better than in previous seasons played its part in that. tbf, jonas always drops back to help his full back out when he's out wide.

i could see real progression in him as a footballer and felt sorry for him when the serious injury came. i'm not confident he'll come back after two ACL injuries on the bounce mind

It was only a matter of time before Taylor had a game like he did today. There's no disgrace in it, as we bought him as a backup utility player from Wigan.

It also shouldn't be forgotten that he has had an excellent season, especially by his standards, and has been an integral part of the meanest defence in the league.

We all know he's not the long-term solution, but I'm not going to slate him, especially after his efforts for us so far this season.

Seems like you agreed with me at the start of the thread

When Jonas was out for the Chelsea home game Taylor got torn to shreds in a 0-3 home defeat. (Granted the ref totally bottled sending Luiz off after only 5 mins in a blatant sky 4 bit of bias as I've no doubt he would've sent off Williamson/Taylor/Colo had the boot been on the other foot).

Edited by Howmanheyman