Carroll`s career so far in Liverpool

Lake Bells tits

The point is that Liverpools approach and ambition will in the long term ensure that they remain a sucessful and trophy winning club. Ashleys zero ambition up until now, will ensure that we don't build on the good season we are having and we don't try and push for the top 4.

You may well be right, but why put so much faith in presumptions?

Who knows what the future may bring. Basically giving Ashley stick based on future events that may or or may not happen.

For one I didn't see us spending £10m on a player during January. That's certainly a bold, positive move. Of course it's all about building on what you've got though, but I'll worry about that when the season is over.

I'm not giving Ashley stick based on future events - its based on what he's done so far

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's fuck all ambitious about spending £16 million on Jordan Henderson. It's sheer lunacy.

Of course it shows ambition - it may well be a poor decision, they have probably paid over the odds and the money could and should have been better spent, but it does without question show ambition

Would you be happy if it were us spending that sort of money on the likes of Henderson?

I would be happy if we spent that sort of money and even happier if we spent it better

The point is that Liverpools approach and ambition will in the long term ensure that they remain a sucessful and trophy winning club. Ashleys zero ambition up until now, will ensure that we don't build on the good season we are having and we don't try and push for the top 4.

Who knows what the future may bring. Basically giving Ashley stick based on future events that may or or may not happen.

For one I didn't see us spending £10m on a player during January. That's certainly a bold, positive move. Of course it's all about building on what you've got though, but I'll worry about that when the season is over.

I'm not giving Ashley stick based on future events - its based on what he's done so far

But you've just told us that because of "his zero ambition up until now", Ashley won't build on the good season we're having. Like you're from the future or something.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

. Matching stoke by spending £10m on a striker. Surely that should be the minimum we do.

Not if you're spending money for the sake of it.

I'd love to see 11 free transfers do the job. But that's just not going to get you the quality in depth required to compete with the top 6 regularly if you have that ambition. It's not spending for the sake of spending, it's for the sake of competing.

He's reinvested over £23million in the last 2 windows, and though I will always want more (specifically wish we'd pushed on to bring in that additional top quality centre back in January) I do think that's quite a reasonable spend, enough to get you into the lower end of the top half.

I just wanted to put some context on what the signing of Cisse represents in comparison to the "ambition" of other clubs around us. It's certainly an improvement on what anyone has come to expect of Ashley, but he's still being comparatively cautious (rather than bold or positive) in his level of investment during this window of opportunity when we could push on.

I think cautious is bang on as an explanation of their spending. I don't think it is solely so they can just "pocket the cash" as some would have you think, but from having fingers burned on previous deals they seem more intent on making every one count.

Every single manager, no matter who, will buy a dud. But in recent times the ratio of Quality to Dud seems to be going in our favour.

As well as comparing what two clubs spend on one player you should compare what they got for that money. Buying shite for £15M or a better player for £5M you often think some people think buying the £15M one is better as it shows ambition?

I think cautious is bang on as an explanation of their spending. I don't think it is solely so they can just "pocket the cash" as some would have you think, but from having fingers burned on previous deals they seem more intent on making every one count.

Every single manager, no matter who, will buy a dud. But in recent times the ratio of Quality to Dud seems to be going in our favour.

As well as comparing what two clubs spend on one player you should compare what they got for that money. Buying shite for £15M or a better player for £5M you often think some people think buying the £15M one is better as it shows ambition?

Like selling Carroll for £35m and buying BA and Cisse for just over 10 or flogging Nolan for 3 and buying Cabaye for 4 ? It baffles me how anyone can knock that

. Matching stoke by spending £10m on a striker. Surely that should be the minimum we do.

Not if you're spending money for the sake of it.

who's advocating spending for the sake of spending ?

Like selling Carroll for £35m and buying BA and Cisse for just over 10 or flogging Nolan for 3 and buying Cabaye for 4 ? It baffles me how anyone can knock that

:icon_lol:

They may well have overpaid for Carroll and we may finish higher than them this season, but Liverpool's ambition and approach will ensure that that in the longer term they will once again be qualifying for the Champions League and they will continue to win trophies.

Our approach of not backing our manager, making a net profit on transfers of over £30 million in 4 years, selling our best players and replacing them with less costly alternatives, (and no doubt we have we have made some shrewd purchases) cannot be sustainable in the long term and it shows Ashley's policy for what it is - don't try to compete at the highest level and realise the massive potential of the club, but do enough to stay in the premier league and recoup as money as possible in the process.

If Ashley continues with his current policy and Liverpool with theirs, then in a couple of years time we will be the mid table team and they will be playing Champions League football.

makes you wonder how many times this needs to be said.

Looking at last summer in isolation doesn't make much sense.

Course not, there's much more to it than that, but it's interesting, in a discussion on what spending power can do for you to look at the short term results.

Of the ten biggest spending clubs, only 3 remain in the bottom half, Fulham can probably get out of that so only QPR and Villa are bucking the "money makes all the difference" trend.

Conversely, from the bottom ten spenders, only Everton, Spurs and Norwich are in the top half. The first 2 had top class squads to start with, so the only one club making a go of it for spending nowt, are Norwich.

this will be largely ignored.

Guest CabayeAye

Why the laugh, it's a perfectly valid point. Certainly better than spending £17M on Owen and paying him £100K a week.

There's fuck all ambitious about spending £16 million on Jordan Henderson. It's sheer lunacy.

Of course it shows ambition - it may well be a poor decision, they have probably paid over the odds and the money could and should have been better spent, but it does without question show ambition

Would you be happy if it were us spending that sort of money on the likes of Henderson?

so 1 players encompasses your entire transfer policy :icon_lol:

who is the most useful player to have in your club, Henderson or either Perch or Obertan [as he plays in the same position].

so they wouldn't back their managers judgement ? Or the DOF, if some are to be believed ? Swings and roundabouts, other players will cost less and repay their fee 10 times over, thats the way it goes. But Liverpool are showing their intentions and rather than be seen as a stepping stone are making themselves a more attractive club and increasing their chances of having more success by building rather than selling and replacing for cheaper.

Why the laugh, it's a perfectly valid point. Certainly better than spending £17M on Owen and paying him £100K a week.

I've explained this many times, I'm not doing it again .

Proves my point

Proves my point

it proves they are not giving the manager the cash man :icon_lol:

Ah but, there you are reacting in hindsight. I was over the moon when Owen signed, even though he turned out to be a fucking leech.

Ah but, there you are reacting in hindsight. I was over the moon when Owen signed, even though he turned out to be a fucking leech.

ah. Hindsight. The best management tool in the business.

Leazes stop being a complete dick and give a bit of credit where its due, you are getting really tedious

JSM, stop being a complete shithead and start to see the bigger picture.