***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a final with 2 from those 3 in it, presumably.

Yes we need 2 of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs to make the final, that way 7th place is opened up for European football.

The way the draw has happened worked out well for us, we just need one of them to turn over the winner of Everton vs Sunderland in the semi final.

Arsène Wenger believes that Newcastle’s excellent form this season is down to their “efficiency” in the transfer market.

Alan Pardew’s side have been this year’s surprise package and currently sit in sixth place in the table, five points behind the Gunners.

However, Wenger says that when you examine the Magpies’ squad it is clear why they are having such an impressive campaign.

“You could say that [i am surprised] if you look purely at the number of points they have. They were not expected there,” he told Arsenal Player.

“They have bought very well in a very efficient way. Some players have made a name now who were completely unknown at the start of the season.

“Therefore when you look at their quality it is not surprising they are where they are.”

Demba Ba has emerged as one of the best forwards in the Premier League this term, and Wenger admits that the Senegalese striker and compatriot Papiss Cisse were on his radar.

“We knew them of course but you know you only have the right to have 25 players in your squad in England,” he said. “You cannot go for all the players who are good that are on the market.

“Newcastle lost Andy Carroll last year and they were searching for a striker, so credit to them [for signing Ba and Cisse]. Also Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa are good business for them. That's why they are where they are.”

Despite Newcastle’s quality, Wenger is confident his side can continue their good run of form when they face them on Monday night.

“They are a team everyone knows will give you a big game, but what is important is our own performance,” he said.

“We cannot be obsessed by Newcastle. If we turn up with a good performance we will win the game. That is what is at stake: to keep up our run and keep our focus.”

Watch the full interview with the manager on Arsenal Player soon.

I believe if Liverpool win the FA Cup, it doesn't matter who the losing finalists are. Their FA cup place would take precedence over their Carling Cup one, so Liverpool would take FA Cup place and their CC one would go to league.

Everton only 7 points behind us now. With us going there on the last day and having Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool all to play, they're a bit close for comfort now!

I believe if Liverpool win the FA Cup, it doesn't matter who the losing finalists are. Their FA cup place would take precedence over their Carling Cup one, so Liverpool would take FA Cup place and their CC one would go to league.

Everton only 7 points behind us now. With us going there on the last day and having Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool all to play, they're a bit close for comfort now!

It's a fact, it's not a belief, that is what would happen. There's no way possible Cardiff can qualify for Europe now, but........Liverpool won't win the FA Cup in my view anyway. It would narf hurt if the final ended up being Chelsea v Sunderland.

• 2 weeks later...

Jose Enrique:'The club is allowing all the major players of the team to go. Seriously, do you think it is the fault of the players? Andy (Carroll), nobby (Kevin Nolan) etc etc. 'This club will never again fight to be among the top 6 again with this policy.'

:lol:

Jose Enrique:'The club is allowing all the major players of the team to go. Seriously, do you think it is the fault of the players? Andy (Carroll), nobby (Kevin Nolan) etc etc. 'This club will never again fight to be among the top 6 again with this policy.'

Whenever those of us that agree with Enrique have said similar, it's been argued (not unreasonably) that the purchase of Cisse evinced a turning point in the policy at the club. Without Cisse we'd be 7 points worse off and not in the top 6, so he's not wrong really.

Edited by Happy Face

Whenever those of us that agree with Enrique have said similar, it's been argued (not unreasonably) that the purchase of Cisse evinced a turning point in the policy at the club. Without Cisse we'd be 7 points worse off and not in the top 6, so he's not wrong really.

Even if you go with the opinion that we would be 7 points better off (which I don't btw) then we would still be fighting to be in the top 6, as we have been all season, so he is wrong really.

Even if you go with the opinion that we would be 7 points better off (which I don't btw) then we would still be fighting to be in the top 6, as we have been all season, so he is wrong really.

Well who would get the 16 goals then? Shola?! Best?!?! Lovenkrands?!?!?!?!

He's talking about Cisse, not Ba.

Although using HF logic it's a good job Arsenal have kept Van Persie fit as they would only have 28 points if he was injured all season.

Although using HF logic it's a good job Arsenal have kept Van Persie fit as they would only have 28 points if he was injured all season.

It is indeed. He's single handedly dragged them up to third this season, unless you think Chamakh would fill the gap he'd leave just as well.

If we didn't have Tim Krul, we would have conceded hundreds and hundreds of goals and would already be nailed on certainties for relegation.

Silly argument.

The argument isn't about an individual player, the single player is just an example people have used against me to say the club have changed policy. We sold no-one in January and spent £10m which has allowed us to maintain our challenge for 6th. This is clear evidence of a change in direction and a new found ambition.

Either that, or we haven't changed policy at all and we should laugh at Enrique, we can expect to sell our best players in the summer...and challenge for 6th again next year despite it.

I don't know which is true, but you can't have it both ways.

what is funny about that ?

It is indeed. He's single handedly dragged them up to third this season, unless you think Chamakh would fill the gap he'd leave just as well.

I would say someone else would of contributed to the goals, not as many of course but more than zero.

Can I have a breakdown of where those 7 points would have been dropped please?

what is funny about that ?

:hi:

If we didn't have Tim Krul, we would have conceded hundreds and hundreds of goals and would already be nailed on certainties for relegation.

Silly argument.

The argument isn't about an individual player, the single player is just an example people have used against me to say the club have changed policy. We sold no-one in January and spent £10m which has allowed us to maintain our challenge for 6th. This is clear evidence of a change in direction and a new found ambition.

Either that, or we haven't changed policy at all and we should laugh at Enrique, we can expect to sell our best players in the summer...and challenge for 6th again next year despite it.

You're getting as bad as Leazes with 'what people said'

I didn't say it so I'm not having it both ways.

He's talking about Cisse, not Ba. Although using HF logic it's a good job Arsenal have kept Van Persie fit as they would only have 28 points if he was injured all season.
I would say someone else would of contributed to the goals, not as many of course but more than zero. Can I have a breakdown of where those 7 points would have been dropped please?

You're ignoring the wood to look at the trees. Perhaps Ameobi would have put away the chances Cisse took...might have done better in games Cisse hasn't scored in. I think we've won games with Cisse taking chances we wouldn't have otherwise. Hence the comment under my Avatar. But it seems strange to argue that Cisse and the policy that brought him here hasn't made us a better prospect....but also that Cisse proves that we're an ambitious club trying to cement our place in the top 6.

Silly argument.

You're getting as bad as Leazes with 'what people said'

I didn't say it so I'm not having it both ways.

I'm getting as bad as LM but you're the one laughing at Enrique for what he said though it remains true, and at Leazes for what he said after the WBA game last season...though he didn't.

Glass hoozes

You're ignoring the wood to look at the trees. Perhaps Ameobi would have put away the chances Cisse took...might have done better in games Cisse hasn't scored I think we've won games with Cisse taking chances we wouldn't have otherwise. Hence the comment under my Avatar. But it seems strange to argue that Cisse and the policy that brought him here hasn't made us a better prospect....but also that Cisse proves that we're an ambitious club trying to cement our place in the top 6.

I'm not arguing either point, the only point I'm arguing is the point where you think if Cisse didn't score then nobody else could have possibly done so, whoever we played as a replacement which is terrible logic.

So can you give me a breakdown of these 7 points?