***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

The success we've had with our transfer policy since promotion actually makes the idea of selling some of our core players a little easier for me to take. They won't always get it right but it's nice to have trust in Carr etc to be able to adequately replace departing players. I'd be gutted but I wouldn't panic, unless they sell player/s without having enough time to replace them (a la Carroll last January).

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The success we've had with our transfer policy since promotion actually makes the idea of selling some of our core players a little easier for me to take. They won't always get it right but it's nice to have trust in Carr etc to be able to adequately replace departing players. I'd be gutted but I wouldn't panic, unless they sell player/s without having enough time to replace them (a la Carroll last January).

The replacement of Carroll was worth the wait, in hindsight.

The replacement of Carroll was worth the wait, in hindsight.

Well in hindsight it wouldn't have mattered that much either way - Carroll remained injured for a couple of months anyway and we did alright in his absence.

We're only 3 points off Robson's season total when we came 5th in 03/04, 7 games still to go.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:lol:

Post of the day

I'd hate to see any of our big players leave.

We're only 3 points off Robson's season total when we came 5th in 03/04, 7 games still to go.

The average premier league points return over 14 years under the previous regime was 59. 2 wins from matching them.

The average premier league points return over 14 years under the previous regime was 59. 2 wins from matching them.

Is that including the 42 game seasons?

Is that including the 42 game seasons?

Aye, but using the points per game those seasons to work out a 38 game total only reduces the average to 58 points.

Edited by Happy Face

We need 3 new defenders in the summer imo. We need a first-choice CB ( Taylor too injury prone), a new LB ( in order to move santon to the right) and a backup for either wing along with Simpson with ass-cheeks firmly sat on the bench. Especially if we reach europe, we need 2-3 competent backup defenders who can proficiently go in and do a job wheneever called on.

Midfield its all about keeping our players imo. Marveaux back, Abeid and Ferguson developing nicely.. If we are to play 4-3-3 with ben arfa in a free role perhaps another winger to offload Jonas and give him some much needed competition...

Without going completely CT-mode, I do feel that Jonas - as much as I appreciate him - is limiting us if we are to push for a top-5 spot on a consistent basis. He just doesnt have enough end product.

He is decent and can do a job, but as a first-choice winger - I would look to upgrade. More often than not I find myself thinking that whenever he has the ball, the best we can hope for is a freekick. He does have the odd good pass but still.

As I am not from Newcastle, has anyone actually seen the reserves and Abeid in particular play on a consistent basis? How promising is he? Supposed to be a tidy player..

LM, I am baffled, absolutely at a loss for words. Forget all of the history shite and crystal ball stuff for a moment. We've just beat Liverpool two nowt. We're comfortably in 6th. I dont see that changing so I think its pretty safe to say we will finish 6th. That would be our best finish since 2004. We might (though I am actually doubfull as I think Everton will beat Liverpool) get in to Europe through it. Everyone has had their say about what may or may not happen. we've all (yes, you as well) been right a bit and wrong a bit. But here we are.

How the fuck can you not be happy? you go to games, surely you must be enjoying it?

who said I haven't enjoyed it ?

It's very good, for a club with aspirations to simply survive in the top flight, make a profit by selling players if necessary, and promote a worldwide Sports Company as such. Excellent in fact.

Sorry, must have missed your positive or happy posts.

Miserable fucker ;)

...also if we maintain the 1.7 points per game average we've had over entire season then we will finish on 65 points. Something we've only managed 4 times in all our 38 game seasons.

Better totals were '96(78), '97(68), '02(71) and '03(69)....none of which would have got us into 2nd place this year like they did then.

The fact that he is an international holds no value to me at all, I judge him solely on how he performs in black and white.

That being said, his massive contributions are not lost on me, I just ponder if he is good enough offensively to constitute a starting position as a winger next season.

By then we will ( hopefully) have signed a better left-back who doesnt need constant babysitting, hence his grafting will not be as needed.

To me he falls a bit short on the attacking part.

:lol: Ok so he is part of a team that has messi in it and frankly a redicilous offensive line-up.

Still, that in itself isnt an arguement imo. Add to that he was picked by Maradona who most likely is swimming in flour when he isnt visiting his Cosa Nostra friends in Napoli or fighting off heart attacks.

If we're going with this 4-3-3 then Jonas would be the obvious one to upgrade on, however I don't see him as a weak link and it wouldn't bother me if we didn't upgrade on any of our attacking players this summer.

I can see similarities between him and Park at Man Utd, who Ferguson uses more in the bigger games for his work rate as you need graft against teams around your level or that are better.

I have had no issues with jonas until we stuck ben arfa on the other side and witnessed how much a proper offensive winger actually creates and sets up.

We'll just conjure up another Ben Arfa then.

I have had no issues with jonas until we stuck ben arfa on the other side and witnessed how much a proper offensive winger actually creates and sets up.

We'll just conjure up another Ben Arfa then.

:lol:

Aye, was gonna say-Ben Arfa at the absolute top of his game could potentially be one of the top three contributors in the Prem. City and Man U dont have two wingers as good as him and they're walking the league.