Newcastle v Everton match thread (+ as a bonus , the Tim Krul! Thread)

Anorthernsoul

im not bitter. i've had a decent chat with you lads on here this evening. that was just an awfully silly thing to say, and something i'd expect from benitez.

To be fair, what Pardew 'should' have said is "We should be a different league to Everton, they're just a wee club from the North-West" ;)

Edited by Armchair Pundit

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of over reactions. We are mising..

Simpson, Taylor.

HBA, Cabaye, Jonas

Ba

That's over half of our regular first team missing!

What on earth do you expect from pardew, he put on Ranger ffs. That;s how limited his options are!

Cabaye and Jonas are back in training, Simpson is being replaced. Ba will be replaced, hopefully with Remy.

So calm down, we'll get our season back on track no bother. And with a bit of luck well hit form for the UEFA cup..

Edited by Phil

We don't buy a few players, and start picking up points in the next 3 games, we're in for a relegation battle.

I think we're already in a relegation battle. we have 2 of the next 3 away, play Villa who can go above us and we're only 2 points from the bottom three.

When you shove in the loss of Ba and Pardew's marbles I'd say I'm starting to worry.

This window could inspire or demoralise the team.

Ashley MUST invest in January.

Bringing Nile Ranger on to win a game against a top 7 side says it all really.

Hoping like Mike, that there are three worse sides in the league though.

The points against those around us now are vital. Bugger the goalfests against the top four. Save it for Wigan.

We should also put the U18s out in the next round of the Europa League as we can't afford that luxury anymore.

Just got back. That was shit. Don't understand why we compromised Cisse for Shola in terms of formation, I hope that's not a long term plan. Also didn't understand taking off Obertan who was one of our most threatening players throughout the game. Then again we were missing 5/6 first teamers against a strong Everton team. I feel like everyone around the club needs a boost to get back on track.

The ref was wank as well now I come to think of it, never a freekick from where I was for their first. Also, if anyone watched on TV, was it a pen when shola went down in the box?

didn't understand taking off Obertan who was one of our most threatening players throughout the game.

I think he wanted to take Tiote off before he was sent off and didn't want to throw Bigi in at the deep-end. As soon as Bigi found his feet he swapped Tiote for Sammy.

I've got to say, even though I've defended Pardew recently due to our rubbish summer transfer window there's no way on this planet I can defend continuing to play Cissé out of position in favour of Shola when it's that exact tactic that has stopped Cissé scoring with Ba in a central role. C'mon, it's not bloody rocket science.

To be fair, Cisse did score. :lol:

Everton are a quality side but we were appalling. The missing players would make a difference but there was enough talent out there to do something with the game other than launch it to Shola ffs

Not sure there was tbh. Compare the respective line ups, logically could a different result been expected or even hoped for? Look at or bench ffs, we really are down to the bare arse. And yet we still created chances, despite being raped in midfield for possession.

As for Obertan, did he look good on the telly or something? He made a few good runs, mainly in the first half of the first half when, incidentally we looked at our worst. But the guy proves time and time again he has no football brain. If we are forced to start with him regularly, we really are in trouble.

Our season now depends on the transfer window, getting players back, and keeping them fit. Two out of the of those and we'll be OK IMO.

Edited by Renton

As for Obertan, did he look good on the telly or something? He made a few good runs, mainly in the first half of the first half when, incidentally we looked at our worst. But the guy proves time and time again he has no football brain. If we are forced to start with him regularly, we really are in trouble.

Our season now depends on the transfer window, getting players back, and keeping them fit. Two out of the of those and we'll be OK IMO.

Renton the problem with the tv coverage as you know with the featured airtime most players get is when they are in possession of the ball and for Squidward that is usually when he's running at the opposition.

Once he losses the ball or turns in an average cross the camera follows the play and the tv fanboys don't get to see what Obertan does or does not do next.

Marveaux for all his skill and footballing ability has the heart of pea. There must of been 4 or 5 times when he's been caught with the ball or he's made a decent pass to a team mate and they've fucked it up and instead of tracking back to help the team he just does his gallic shrug of the shoulders and stares at his feet.

If Ben Arfa did that he'd be crucified.

Edited by sammynb

Renton the problem with the tv coverage as you know with the featured airtime most players get is when they are in possession of the ball and for Squidward that is usually when he's running at the opposition.

Once he losses the ball or turns in an average cross the camera follows the play and the tv fanboys don't get to see what Obertan does or does not do next.

Marveaux for all his skill and footballing ability has the heart of pea. There must of been 4 or 5 times when he's been caught with the ball or he's made a decent pass to a team mate and they've fucked it up and instead of tracking back to help the team he just does his gallic shrug of the shoulders and stares at his feet.

If Ben Arfa did that he'd be crucified.

All very good points.

Our bench last night was shocking. I'm the eternal optimist and think it will get better as we get players back but we MUST strengthen more this window. If we get hit by injuries again (probable) without better cover we're fucked.

Michael Owen nearly didnt say we were too good to go down there, then realised he was going to sound like a cunt, then realised he was one and said it anyway.

:lol:

Is it fair to say the side he was captain of in 2009 was on paper the most talented squad ever to be relegated since Sky invented football in 1992?...What a coloassall fuckin strap on that man is.

Last night was frustrating.

We were poor, but we also could have been 3-0 up and put the game to bed (Perch's header off the post and a pelanty when Shola turned Phil Neville).

Then they scored from a free kick that should never have been given.

When we got the ball on the deck and passed it around, we actually broke them down reasonably well. There are a couple of Everton fans at work and neither thought that they played particularly well.

We suffered yet again from a mis-shapen midfield. Marveaux looked dangerous at times going forward, but he plays far too far up the pitch to link effectively with the midfield. When he dropped deeper to receive the ball, we managed some half decent passages of play, but when he sits so far up the pitch we had little option but to lump it.

Obertan is so one dimensional it's untrue. He hugs the touchline. He doesn't come back to help Santon whatsoever. He doesn't make any attempt to link up with Santon. There were a couple of times last night when Santon progressed forward, looking for an outlet in front of him, but Obertan sat so far up the pitch that he had no choice.

Then we have the problem of Cisse on the right. He's all about instinct and getting to the ball first in front of goal, not playing wide. He worked hard enough, but he's not a right midfielder in the slightest. Not only did he struggle to contibute down the wing, but he offered nothing to protect Perch at full back.

These factors combined to mean Tiote had his work cut out in that middle area - he covered the entire width of the pitch over and over again in the first half, and it was no surprise that his game became tired and sloppy in the second.

We had plenty of possession last night, but if the midfield doesn't effectively link with the attack, we're never going to mount any sustained pressure and force mistakes.

I appreciate Pardew will have his reasons, but I think he got it wrong tactically last night. Shola is fine as an impact sub, but his role should end there. I would have played Cisse up front, supported by Marveaux and Obertan still, but with Bigirimana in midfield to provide a little bit more steel. That said, I don't envy Pardew's job to pick a side, as we have a hell of a lot of good players out. Take players of the quality of Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Jonas and Steven Taylor out of any side outside the top 4 and they'd struggle. That's 3/4 of the midfield which propelled us into Europe last season and we are missing them massively.

Aaarghh, that was horrible. From the hope of an early lead and a supportive crowd, through ever growing nervousness until Baines scored the (quality) equaliser from a dodgy decision to the grim realisation that we really were a total shower destined to lose again as soon as Anichebe came on the pitch.

There is not enough quality in our team. Too many players are seem prepared to give up when we lose posession in the expectation that the next man will fix it. The Mekon spends much of the time in an apparant trance,

Even the decent ones have lost the plot - the Colowobbles, Santon trying to re-invent himself as a marauding left back and forgetting how to defend, Tiote turning into a worse version of David Batty (aka the crab). Anita retreating into his shell.

By the end of the night the back four looked completely and utterly knackered - imo their general fitness doesn't seem to be as good as last season.

Perfect timing for season ticket renewals too.

Driving home afterwards it was interesting to hear 'Arry talking on the radio about how before the Chelsea game he went back to basics and spent - ooh, a good 2 hours - walking his QPR team through off the ball positioning - so everyone was crystal about their roles. We could do with some of those basic drills, too

Happy new fucking year!

Shola Ameobi is a top player for any league 1 side. He was his usual lazy self last night. Few nice touches and a back heel. Nothing else. He is on the official site this morning saying he hopes to get a run of games and knows what he can bring to the party. Is he simple or just thick?

Not sure there was tbh. Compare the respective line ups, logically could a different result been expected or even hoped for? Look at or bench ffs, we really are down to the bare arse. And yet we still created chances, despite being raped in midfield for possession.

In a nutshell.

Shola's getting a lot of undue stick tbh. He holds the ball up well and his backheel to put Obertan through was class.

We lost this one in the defence because we were shite again. The team looks uncomfortable defending a lead or even when another team has a spell of possession and chances. Let's hope that Debuchy coming in means we have a better quality right back who can actually contribute some meaningful possession unlike Simpson's forays into the abyss. If anything we just need stability and not have to change the defence every single game - it's why we're leaking goals.

Shola's getting a lot of undue stick tbh. He holds the ball up well and his backheel to put Obertan through was class.

I'll defend Shola to the hilt. Annoys me all the unwarranted criticism he gets. He is limited, but we have very few perfect players, he's put in many performances that I love him for.

That said, I was a rage filled lanky streak of apoplectic fury last night. We don't have a single striker injured. Whatever time I have for 31 year old Shola Ameobi, he should not be our first choice lone striker for the full 90 minutes of any game with a fully fit front line. We were relegated with a 4 years younger, fitter, faster Shola in the squad and he was 4th choice then.

Ridiculous.