Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

Liverpool v The Toon called off for Princess fuckin Di, and this goes ahead with all the Welsh players in both these teams. It's not right.

I'd guess/hope they've asked all the players involved and they've said they think its right to play as they have good reason not to. Totally agree about princess Di, it was an absolute joke that it was even thought to cancel any sporting events nevermind do it, who the fuck were these players who couldn't play football because a woman who is no relation or connected to them in anyway has died, it was farcical.

Given seemed distraught :(

Speechless. Really gutted but I can't imagine how his family are feeling right now.

I don't think Given was crying though, Sky said something about it being a misplaced contact lens.

Possible, but they spent so many years together, don't know how Shay's found the strength to play today. Tough situation. Game really should have been put off imo....

They might have called it off had it not been announced so close to kick-off. I'm sure Speed would have wanted the match to go ahead. Both sets of players are professional and have gone about the first half in the right way (Hutton's tackling aside).

There isn't much of a precedent to calling off matches is there? Apart from Diana, I can't think of any (might have been one or two following the death of a player or staff member of a club due to play).

Just found out. I'm gutted. He was just such a good player but unassuming with it. I've always had a soft spot for the bloke and he even shared my birthday as well. One of Bobby's 'blue chip' players when were a champs league side. Really saddened to hear this, puts the football completely in perspective. There's been some jakies and wasters at our club who couldn't hold a candle to this bloke.

RIP Gary

I guess this shows just how little any of us know about anyone's lives. I'm heartbroken to think that someone who was so loved and respected felt like this was the only option open to him. His poor, poor wife and boys. We should all hold our own children and loved ones a little bit closer today.

RIP Gary x

I'm just desperately sad for everyone left behind who has to try and make sense of this and will probably never get an answer. I'm crying for someone I never met, because of something he could never tell anyone - that just breaks my heart :(

Every now and then a death occurs that simply stops you in your tracks and makes you ask "why"

I've many a time said that Speed as one of the best midfielders I'd ever seen play in our beloved black and white stripes and I always maintained Shepherd sold him too soon.

:rip: Gary Speed. I can't believe I'm typing that. Jill must be devastated, just remembered how much she liked him....