Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

Jesus, I've just got back and read this. Utterly speechless, shocked and bemused. Really struggling to take it in. RIP Speedo, I can't even begin to imagine what caused this, he really didn't seem to have such a thing about him, always a top bloke, professional and laid back kind of guy when I've seen him in the media, poor, poor bloke. :(

:rip:

It shouldn't need saying why you don't use the word selfish on the day of someones death, staggered that people are condoning it to be honest. As said earlier Barton is scum always will be, complete and utter attention seeking, the cunt sickens me.

Fine tribute being offered at the Swansea match.

Chants of 'There's only one Gary Speed' leaving a chill down the spine.

Not sure a minutes applause is all that appropriate for a young man taking his own life.

I suppose it was spontaneous and people choose to show their respects in different ways.

Not sure a minutes applause is all that appropriate for a young man taking his own life.

I suppose it was spontaneous and people choose to show their respects in different ways.

Agreed. Was a little weird when some people started applauding, but it came from a good place.

I read a good quote today.

MYTH: Suicide is chosen. FACT: It is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds the resources for coping with pain.

Wow. Just got in from work hadn't heard about this at all. Very sad.

Just read this page and from what I can gather Barton has caused some uproar with his tweet about suicide being a selfish act. I don't have a problem with that implication. People can argue over timing and so on, but it really doesn't add up to much: a very unfortunate act has occurred and the nature of the act will always provoke discussion, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it can potentially lead to a better understanding of issues that are seldom talked of.

It's put me on a bit of a downer today, such a class bloke, dead down to earth, Howard Wilkinson was saying he had more ability than most footballers, and more humility than any of them. Contrast him with Joey Barton, an utter self-absorbed pseudo-intellectual prick, who has just chosen to call Speed selfish on twitter on a day like today.

tbh I think a bit much is being made of the Barton thing.

His tweet was "Suicide is a mix of the most tragic, most selfish, most terrible (and I want to believe preventable) acts out there."

I think he was merely pointing out the whole futility of it. Words that can be taken wrong I agree but it clearly wasnt meant as a slur on Speedo.

It's selfish in the sense that it is an act committed in the knowledge that it will cause a great deal of pain to those who are close to you. I think near 50% of manic depressives who go untreated end up committing suicide, could well be wrong though. I read a little about it as I was shocked by one particular case because of the person involved. That's when I first realised that there are some people with a genetic predisposition to depression who require lifelong treatment. I hadn't recognized the distinction between depression as a serious illness and people who are going through a rough patch.

It's put me on a bit of a downer today, such a class bloke, dead down to earth, Howard Wilkinson was saying he had more ability than most footballers, and more humility than any of them. Contrast him with Joey Barton, an utter self-absorbed pseudo-intellectual prick, who has just chosen to call Speed selfish on twitter on a day like today.

tbh I think a bit much is being made of the Barton thing.

His tweet was "Suicide is a mix of the most tragic, most selfish, most terrible (and I want to believe preventable) acts out there."

I think he was merely pointing out the whole futility of it. Words that can be taken wrong I agree but it clearly wasnt meant as a slur on Speedo.

Aye, I think that's it. Of course he could have chosen a better time to point this out but as I and others have already said, he has also tweeted several good things about Speed today.

we never should have sold him when we did either. our decline coincided with his departure and he went on to put in at least another three or four good years in at bolton.

still stunned by this news.

makes no sense this like that no one had any inkling that something might be wrong.

I never watch Football Focus but just happened to see the last 2 minutes yesterday - he was on with McCallister and seemed his normal self. Now I can't help thinkling if he was sitting there being as amiable as ever with this on his mind.

When I first saw the headline I thought it was going to be one of those out of the blue heart attack jobs that healthy blokes sometimes suffer from - suicide never crossed my mind for an instant which makes it so much harder as I've said on here before that I tend towards the harsher view of such things. I would however echo one aspect of Barton's view in that I always feel they should be preventable and it seems like a failure somehow when it does happen.