Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

Him being bisexual.

edit; or rather, a tabloid revealing the above

if that's the case does that mean that depression wasnt the cause of his suicide? Tragic events obviously but would I be completely wrong to suggest that there was an element of selfishness there then?

Him being bisexual.

edit; or rather, a tabloid revealing the above

if that's the case does that mean that depression wasnt the cause of his suicide? Tragic events obviously but would I be completely wrong to suggest that there was an element of selfishness there then?

All of us are wrong to assume we know anything about this at all, and therefore aren't fit to be passing judgements of any kind.

Ultimately 2 little boys are going to bed tonight knowing their daddy isn't there and never will be again. That in itself is a tragedy.

imagine though, if this story breaks in a particular way he loses his wife, his kids, a vast sum of money (not that thats as important) probably his job and would then struggle to gain back any reputation in football since we know what footballs like

he basically would lose everytihng he had ever known or cared about

again its pure speculation and Cats right about his boys losing their dad

If that's the case, the "journalist" involved wants to have a long , hard look at themselves, as they've been directly responsible for a man taking his life.

I'm assuming it was NOTW.

Be very interesting for NOTW to do that considering they closed down 5 months ago.

Found out about midday. Gutted. Such a tragic loss.

I don't think I've ever been as upset upon hearing the

death of an ex NUFC player/manager. Probably because

of his age, the fact that he was playing for us relatively recently

and there were no (known) health issues. Then there's also the

fact that he was such a fantastic player. The team was always the

poorer when he didn't play. He gave his all, commanded the midfield,

commanded the whole team at times, would battle and never shirk

from physical encounters. And yet played with such style, flair and vision.

He really was an incredible player. The fact that former team mates, opponents,

current players, journalists and supporters of not only all of his former teams,

but many others besides have paid such wonderful tributes shows how

much he was loved and respected.

I saw Joey Barton's Tweet and I wasn't at all offended by it. I understand what he

meant. Put in the context of what else he was tweeting at the same time, it came

over as someone expressing shock as to why Gary Speed committed suicide.

I have suffered from clinical depression (although I haven't had a bout for some time now,

I'm not sure I can say I'm cured) and got to the stage where I seriously considered suicide

(minutes away). From the outside, I can understand why it is seen by many as selfish. In

fact, I think I would agree with Barton that it is both selfish and tragic. But from the inside,

you don't see it that way, because you're at rock bottom, and it's impossible for me to describe

how utterly low and completely helpless you feel when you are in that state. You can see no

way out, have no one to help you and have no other option. The tragedy is that this is not the

case, but like I said, you're in such a state you can't think clearly.

If the latest rumours are true, he probably thought he'd lose his family, friends, job,

reputation, respect. And as a result, felt there was nowhere to turn.

IF it's true then people seriously need to boycott that paper en masse. The Scousers did it after Hillsborough.

Lets see mass boycotts on Tyneside, in Yorkshire, in Wales and in Lancashire too. Easy for me to say like as

I don't buy it myself.

Whatever the reasons (and we may never know for sure), it's tragic, and he should be remembered for being the

great player he was. A shining example to all professional footballers.

I feel so sorry for his family and friends.

RIP

so it could be depression hum its possible. poor soul hes a silly lad but i respect him for what the player he was an awsome player on the field no matter what club he played for legend in my opinion.

Ultimately he was responsible for ending his own life. I'm not particularly interested in the reasons behind it, none of my business.

Agreed. And tbh, if there is a story that was due to come out that led him to this, then I hope for the sake of his family and his memory that it never sees the light of day.

An outpouring of grief and respect is all I would hope happens next. Even talking about potential rumours on places like this can cause them to stick, and I would encourage people to refrain. You can't stop what other people say on twitter, but we can and should be careful about what ends up on here.

I'm gutted though. To think of such a seemingly lovely bloke finding himself in a place where he felt this was his best option is unspeakably sad.

Ultimately he was responsible for ending his own life. I'm not particularly interested in the reasons behind it, none of my business.

Agreed. And tbh, if there is a story that was due to come out that led him to this, then I hope for the sake of his family and his memory that it never sees the light of day.

An outpouring of grief and respect is all I would hope happens next. Even talking about potential rumours on places like this can cause them to stick, and I would encourage people to refrain. You can't stop what other people say on twitter, but we can and should be careful about what ends up on here.

I'm gutted though. To think of such a seemingly lovely bloke finding himself in a place where he felt this was his best option is unspeakably sad.

Amen

Agreed Gemmill. At times like these people are looking for a reason behind it and it could well be that some arsehole has concocted a bullshit story to sound like he's in the know and people have bought it. It's disrespectful to be spreading that type of unsubstantiated gossip, especially on the day that the guy died.

Was coming to post more or less what Gemmill did so can do nothing but agree with him.

Cath hit the nail on the head, there's 2 little lads who will never see their Dad again. Take everything else out of this - football, twitter, tabloids, rumours, etc. It all pales into massive insignificance to what is the true tragedy.

No-one is placed to comment on the why's and how's, not Joey Barton, not the press, not the fans of the teams he played for & managed nor the wider football community. All we're placed to do is show respect in his passing, support to his family and be grateful for being able to have witnessed his gift on the football field.

May you rest in peace Gary.