Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

True.

My favourite goal has to be when we looked to be going out of the Champions League to Dynamo Kiev and he equalised in the 2nd half. 3 wins later and we made Champions League history

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2002/matches/round=1636/match=1036504/index.html

Edited by J69

No place for any discussions about reasons

Aye seriously, fuck off with this shite. Didn't even make it off that page without the mindless disrespectful speculation starting up.

It's disrespectful to speculate the reasons full stop and people have done nothing but since the start of the thread, on about sexual orientation and media stings. Disgusting to be honest, and J69 is clearly the worst in this instance.

Seriously man Stevie, not the time for cheap shots. Behave

For once I agree. The pair of you need to let this one go.

One of the fellas at work, a Liverpool fan said to me this morning that the last time football lost someone with such universal respect was Sir Bobby. I couldn't agree more.

Aye seriously, fuck off with this shite. Didn't even make it off that page without the mindless disrespectful speculation starting up.

It's disrespectful to speculate the reasons full stop and people have done nothing but since the start of the thread, on about sexual orientation and media stings. Disgusting to be honest, and J69 is clearly the worst in this instance.

One of the fellas at work, a Liverpool fan said to me this morning that the last time football lost someone with such universal respect was Sir Bobby. I couldn't agree more.

I'm still in shock to be honest. You could name 1,000 people in football and I honestly believe many would choose him to be more emotionally stable than anyone. He wasn't radge, he wasn't a hell raiser, he was a good family man, and the hardest working model pro you could ever imagine. He was like Alan Shearer but a midfielder and more likeable. It's completely stunned the nation.

Watching that video of Given was hard to watch and brought everything into perspective about how liked he was amongst his fellow pro's and what a great guy he really was! Savage on BBCnews was also hard to watch when he couldnt speak by the end of it.

Sad day for NUFC and football. RIP Gary Speed

I'm still in shock to be honest. You could name 1,000 people in football and I honestly believe many would choose him to be more emotionally stable than anyone. He wasn't radge, he wasn't a hell raiser, he was a good family man, and the hardest working model pro you could ever imagine. He was like Alan Shearer but a midfielder and more likeable. It's completely stunned the nation.

A good analogy. An easy comparison to make for obvious reasons but he was on a par with Rob Lee or Beardsley for his professionalism.

I'm still stunned. Agree with McLeish yesterday too - when I read about it my blood ran cold. When I realised it was suicide it just seemed so unfathomable.

Pathetic

http://www.readytogo...ad.php?t=648062

There was a thread about our late midfielder which I had a look at, lots of 'shocked' comments, very respectful etc, then you get this thread the next day. I may be missing something here, but every supporter of the Country/Clubs he played for have shown respect and quiet dignity around the news of his death and most haven't gone over the top at all. Poor, poor taste at having a pop at NUFC supporters for remembering a recent player who was a gent and rather good at his job. Credit to any of them who've pulled the ones who couldn't resist an anti-NUFC dig.

I am still totally stunned by this. What a servant to our club and to football. The pic on the Mag's website superbly summaries how I'll remember him in a black and white shirt. The minute silence on Saturday will be gut wrenching.

Aye it was better bad enough when SBR died, but I think most of us accepted it because we were ready for it happening. SBR was in his mid 70's and he accepted it, this is worse because he's a young bloke and it's just come from no where.

It's easy to praise someone when they've died, but Speed wasn't as technically gifted as Nobby or Dyer, he wasn't as fast as Bellamy or Jenas, he wasn't massive for sticking his nose in front of a camera, but we've never had a player who worked harder for the club than him, to do his best for the team and selflessly allow others to get the glory while he did all of the dirty work. He was proud to play for Newcastle, and I'm proud we had him.

Hope it's a minute's silence, I'm not sure applause is appropriate in these circumstances. It seems like we have produced people in this country who are incapable of remaining quiet for a minute.

Agreed, the announcer said lets have a minutes silence for Gary Speed and the Welsh start clapping. It cheapens it, a minutes silence is more dignified.

I am still totally stunned by this. What a servant to our club and to football. The pic on the Mag's website superbly summaries how I'll remember him in a black and white shirt. The minute silence on Saturday will be gut wrenching.

Aye it was better bad enough when SBR died, but I think most of us accepted it because we were ready for it happening. SBR was in his mid 70's and he accepted it, this is worse because he's a young bloke and it's just come from no where.

It's easy to praise someone when they've died, but Speed wasn't as technically gifted as Nobby or Dyer, he wasn't as fast as Bellamy or Jenas, he wasn't massive for sticking his nose in front of a camera, but we've never had a player who worked harder for the club than him, to do his best for the team and selflessly allow others to get the glory while he did all of the dirty work. He was proud to play for Newcastle, and I'm proud we had him.

Do a search on this forum for ''Gary Speed'' and you'll probably find that 99.9% of posts in relation to him prior to his death are extremely positive and affectionate.

:(

i found the crowd at swansea breaking into applause quite moving. it was spontaneous and affectionate. it wasn't arseholes that were making disrepectful noises that started it i don't think.

still can't get my head around this story. very sad indeed.

Like everyone I was stunned and saddened by this news yesterday. It's easy to wax lyrical about someone when they die but I think Speedo deserves every bit of praise he gets. Obviously we don't know the facts yet, but the early signs are that he took his own life. Depression doesn't discriminate.

A true gentleman, I found myself shedding a little tear yesterday about this, which is a bit ridiculous for someone you don't even know. Having said that, my wife also cried but I think that was the pregnancy hormones to be honest.

You look at the way he handled himself and was professional and then you look at Ballotelli whinging and kicking doors down at Anfield. Says it all.

Pathetic

http://www.readytogo...ad.php?t=648062

There was a thread about our late midfielder which I had a look at, lots of 'shocked' comments, very respectful etc, then you get this thread the next day. I may be missing something here, but every supporter of the Country/Clubs he played for have shown respect and quiet dignity around the news of his death and most haven't gone over the top at all. Poor, poor taste at having a pop at NUFC supporters for remembering a recent player who was a gent and rather good at his job. Credit to any of them who've pulled the ones who couldn't resist an anti-NUFC dig.

They're not worthy of a response.

I'll be honest, his passing used to piss me off at times, but he was such a huge, huge presence, and that was my only gripe with him, because he was such a lovely bloke, hard working, and he was as good as a header I've ever seen for a midfielder. When he was sold, I wasn't too concerned as I thought we'd replace him adequately, we didn't and the hole he created was as big as the one Shearer did. It was his presence, and his impact on the whole club. During games, he was everywhere, he never ever ever hid. My favourite game and goal for Speed was against Liverpool at Anfield we were 2-0 down with 5 minutes left, and he was getting the right run around off Hamann and Gerrard, but he never gave in, kept going driving us forward, he never gave up. The ball came in from a corner, fuckin bammmmm 2-1 we were back in it. A few minutes later he won the ball drove us forward again, we got abother corner and Shearer got the equaliser. It epitomised Speed, he was never beaten, he was determined, he was the ultimate professional, people who got more plaudits like Bryan Robson, and Tony Adams, were in no way more professional than Speed, no one was.

It's mental. It will still feel mental in a years time unless we know the full facts. Everyone loved him, like everyone. He was probably the best looking bloke to ever play for Newcastle.

It's mental. It will still feel mental in a years time unless we know the full facts. Everyone loved him, like everyone. He was probably the best looking bloke to ever play for Newcastle.

tbh I don't want to know 'the facts'. They should remain what they always should have been. Entirely private.

The only people who need to know what has gone on are his immediate family so they can have closure and the coroner for obvious reasons.

The rest of us should simply remember what a truly gifted footballer he was and and even better human being and let him rest in peace.