Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

Personally I prefer a minutes silence, it seems more respectful.

I'm sure I have a Gary Speed compilation film on my old PC, one of Pedro's I think, I will try and get it on here.

I'm still absolutely gutted, I adored him :(

It is more respectful.

After seeing the tributes at bellend road its all I have really thought of this afternoon. Mostly "Why?"

I'm sure I have a Gary Speed compilation film on my old PC, one of Pedro's I think, I will try and get it on here.

I think thats the one I posted above, cant be sure though.

aye i prefer the silence as well, but i guess it's to make sure no retard ruins it.

At that city game there was some moron shouting something like "cityyyyyyyyy" or along those lines during the silence they had, at the end of the clip when flicks to the city fans ya can see a few in the crowd spun round glaring.

People like that should be banned from football grounds IMO

Yeh but that silence has been done before - so why not now when it probably means more than most times?

Besides it's an early K.O so people wont be as full of drink.

It is more respectful.

In your opinion. People can pay their respects however they like, as long as they're actually paying respect to the departed.

Thing is Tecato, the "minutes applause" , to my understandinf, is meant to be a celebration of the life of the person. Whilst I'm not suggesting his isn't worthy of celebration , I don't think the mood anywhere on Saturday will be particularly celebratory.

A silent stadium , to me, is more fitting on this occasion. As I said before, after the minute, I'd expect to hear his name sung from each and every person.

But that is just my opinion.

Thing is Tecato, the "minutes applause" , to my understandinf, is meant to be a celebration of the life of the person. Whilst I'm not suggesting his isn't worthy of celebration , I don't think the mood anywhere on Saturday will be particularly celebratory.

A silent stadium , to me, is more fitting on this occasion. As I said before, after the minute, I'd expect to hear his name sung from each and every person.

I agree entirely...my way of thinking is that you have an minutes applause to celebrate someone who has had a 'normal' life span, but for someone who dies young, I just think a minutes silence is more fitting.

Well said.

Well I wasn't disagreeing or agreeing with that. I think it's a subjective thing is all, and it's not factually 'wrong' to clap instead.

I prefer a minutes silence, personally.

Edited by Tecato

.com

Tuesday saw the Premier League confirm that a minute's applause would be observed ahead of this weekend's matches in memory of the late Gary Speed.

Meanwhile, we've been asked to publicise calls from various quarters for fans to attend the game wearing toon scarves in a visible show of support - and we're happy to do so.

From The Telegraph, Wednesday - as yet unconfirmed:

Newcastle United will hold a vocal tribute to Speed ahead of Saturday’s Premier League fixture with Chelsea.

As well as a minute’s applause to acknowledge the tragic death of their former midfielder, there will be a rendition by an opera singer of the Welsh hymn "Bread of Heaven" before kick-off.

The East Stand of St James’ Park may be asked to hold aloft cards which will read ‘No 11’ – a reference to the jersey Speed wore during his six-year spell on Tyneside.

.com

Tuesday saw the Premier League confirm that a minute's applause would be observed ahead of this weekend's matches in memory of the late Gary Speed.

Meanwhile, we've been asked to publicise calls from various quarters for fans to attend the game wearing toon scarves in a visible show of support - and we're happy to do so.

Newcastle United will hold a vocal tribute to Speed ahead of Saturday’s Premier League fixture with Chelsea.

As well as a minute’s applause to acknowledge the tragic death of their former midfielder, there will be a rendition by an opera singer of the Welsh hymn "Bread of Heaven" before kick-off.

The East Stand of St James’ Park may be asked to hold aloft cards which will read ‘No 11’ – a reference to the jersey Speed wore during his six-year spell on Tyneside.

The hymn and card holding is way over the top imo. I think the scarf, minutes silence, then fans deciding to sing or applaud would have been fitting. I fucking hate orchestrated shite like this.

Way over the top for a guy who obviously had so many troubles he took his own life? Its a great show of strength to his loved ones and his friends at the club. If they were to name a stand after him, that IMO is way over the top.

If they're having an opera singer, I wouldn't mind the idea of her singing a hymn on her own. It'd be just as moving (giving the sombre nature) as a lone voice without the fans feeling ushered into anything.

However it ends up being marked though, you can understand people wanting to do something and not everybody will feel 100% the same. As long as it's respectful though that's all that really counts.

.com

The hymn and card holding is way over the top imo. I think the scarf, minutes silence, then fans deciding to sing or applaud would have been fitting. I fucking hate orchestrated shite like this.

It's feels a bit like that for me too. Maybe it's my ingrained distrust of Mike Ashley but it seems like a bit of cheap point scoring with the fans

I don't necessarily think it's point scoring, I do think it's been done for the right reasons. I think it just reflects the kind of person I am. As a collective fanbase I think we're brilliant at showing real spontaneous emotion collectively. I will get there early for the occasion and probably bubble a bit getting caught up in it to be honest.

'Bread of Heaven'? Surely 'Land Of My Fathers' would be more appropriate?

Agree with the sentiments that it's a tad over-stated but the club wouldn't win on this one. If they did nothing, people would claim they wouldn't care.....

Instead of the cards showing a number 11 (i presume this is going to look like the number 9 for Shearer's testimonal), a simple banner saying something like "RIP Gary Speed - thanks for the memories" would suffice.

4 days on and I'm still absolutely stunned by this BTW - can't believe he's no longer with us.

.com

Newcastle United will hold a vocal tribute to Speed ahead of Saturday's Premier League fixture with Chelsea.

As well as a minute's applause to acknowledge the tragic death of their former midfielder, there will be a rendition by an opera singer of the Welsh hymn "Bread of Heaven" before kick-off.

The East Stand of St James' Park may be asked to hold aloft cards which will read 'No 11' – a reference to the jersey Speed wore during his six-year spell on Tyneside.

It's feels a bit like that for me too. Maybe it's my ingrained distrust of Mike Ashley but it seems like a bit of cheap point scoring with the fans

I'm pretty sure Ashley does not make every decision at the club.