Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

Yeah, I think he may have been making that point there, Craig ;)

tbh I'm out of the loop these days, i'm wooshed by who's got issues with who. Apologies if I've posted the obvious.

Yeah, I think he may have been making that point there, Craig ;)

tbh I'm out of the loop these days, i'm wooshed by who's got issues with who. Apologies if I've posted the obvious.

Loop is the perfect word for it as far as Leazes is concerned...

McNallyMirror Brian McNally

#nufc postpone planned Gary Speed tribute for tomorrow at request of his wife Louise.She is at a Leeds tribute tomorrow & wants to be at SJP

Louise will attend the rescheduled tribute at the Swansea game on December 17. A minute's applause for Gary will take place at SJP tomorrow.

#nufc postpone planned Gary Speed tribute for tomorrow at request of his wife Louise.She is at a Leeds tribute tomorrow & wants to be at SJP

Louise will attend the rescheduled tribute at the Swansea game on December 17. A minute's applause for Gary will take place at SJP tomorrow.

Fair enough. Only right that they do what she wants in this scenario.

Bit late with this but been away, heard while I was in NYC, I was devastated, I didn't even know the man. I can't image the sort of impact he had on those around him. Seemed like a top man, and a true professional. I hope he was at peace in the end.

One of the most underrated players we had imo, the year he was sold to Bolton coincided with our slip down the league.

RIP Gary.

I wonder if it'll be on iplayer for everybody to see?

No doubt it'll be on regular BBC at some point

Channel 991 for anyone who has Sky :)

Video of the song on the link :)

Stereophonics frontman Kelly Jones sings an acoustic version of Andy Williams's classic Can't Take My Eyes Off You in tribute to Gary Speed.

The song became an adopted anthem of Welsh football fans during Speed's playing career with Wales after being used in a BBC Wales promo for the 1994 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Speed, who was found dead at his Cheshire home aged 42 on Sunday, was an integral part of the Wales squad that came so close to qualifying for the World Cup finals in the United States.

Jones broke off from working on new material with the band in Brussels to record his acoustic version of the song.

The video will feature as part of a special tribute to Speed in BBC Cymru Wales' Sport Wales programme on BBC Two Wales on Friday (2200 GMT), which will also be shown the following day on BBC One Wales (1730 GMT).

Jones, a supporter of one of Speed's former clubs, Leeds United, said: "I was with my two daughters at the Millennium Stadium after the Wales v England international [in March].

"We were waiting at the lift and Gary ended his phone conversation and shook my hand. We had a chat about the game and shared the lift to the ground floor.

"He was a very nice man. Good-looking fella. I was consumed the whole day when I heard the news. I couldn't get my head around it.

"Then the BBC approached me to record the song. It's a 10-minute job but I hope it's fitting for the tribute on the show."

Jason Mohammad will present the special tribute to Gary Speed from Leeds United's Elland Road stadium.

He will be joined by Speed's former Leeds and Wales team-mate Matt Jones. The programme will include tributes from Alan Shearer, Robbie Savage, Gary McAllister, Tony Pulis, Ashley Williams and others.

Sport Wales, BBC Two Wales, Friday 2 December, 2200 GMT; repeated on BBC One Wales on Saturday 3 December, 1730 GMT.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15995644.stm

In an era of overpaid and up their own arse ' superstars ' Gary Speed was a reminder of earlier times ... of a more down to earth , humble and genuine sportsman / footballer ..more akin to the Jackie Milburns of this world than the brattish Wayne Rooneys etc . Never the most gifted , but certainly one of the most hard working , responsible and endearing characters of the modern game . Even after a few days distance , the events of Sunday beggar belief and i guess it is of little comfort to finally know how widely he was loved by not just us , but fans of all clubs , not just the ones he played for and served so well . RIP Gary Speed , we may never know why ...but i thank you for those footballing moments where you lit up my life on a Saturday afternoon ...