Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

I think I used to slag him off a bit I have to admit. His constant forty yard switch from left to right often failled and annoyed the piss out of me. But most of all I think it was that we needed a propper holding midfielder and Robson seemed to want to use him there but it wasn't his game. But I could never knock the bloke in terms of effort and attitude.

But since he left I have happily admitted on a number of occasions how wrong I was and how much we missed him after he left. He contributed much more to the team than I could ever understand at the time.

I am truely devistated by this. Never before has a person who I've never met dying had much of an impact on me at all. I was sad when Sir Bobby passed away but I think due to his age and previous health problems it didn't come as a surprise and I think it was much easier to focus on the celebration of his life.

This is so sudden and such a surprise that it still doesn't seem real.

Saturday is going to be very emotional.

It's mental. It will still feel mental in a years time unless we know the full facts. Everyone loved him, like everyone. He was probably the best looking bloke to ever play for Newcastle.

tbh I don't want to know 'the facts'. They should remain what they always should have been. Entirely private.

The only people who need to know what has gone on are his immediate family so they can have closure and the coroner for obvious reasons.

The rest of us should simply remember what a truly gifted footballer he was and and even better human being and let him rest in peace.

I would like to know (as a simple matter of fact) whether there was a tabloid story about to break on him. I don't want to know any of the details of that story at all, but I'd like to know if it was a factor. People have personal choice, and it was his personal choice to take his life, so I'd never go as far to say a tabloid is directly responsible for something like this, but if it was a factor I do want that to be known as they are the scum of the earth and theres never been a better time in recent history (phone hacking climate) to change journalistic practices for ever. I don't want Gary's private life to be a vehicle for it, just something that gives legitimate standing to ask the question in the first place. We're a fucking hopelessly gossip/celeb obsessed country (mainly female driven it has to be said), but a lot of it offends against our decency as a society these days. If (very very big if) there was any truth that a paper had been onto him, I'd want that exposed and his death to at least have that positive outcome.

We're a fucking hopelessly gossip/celeb obsessed country (mainly female driven it has to be said), but a lot of it offends against our decency as a society these days.

The amount of intelligent women who read those daft magazines is crazy!

It's mental. It will still feel mental in a years time unless we know the full facts. Everyone loved him, like everyone. He was probably the best looking bloke to ever play for Newcastle.

tbh I don't want to know 'the facts'. They should remain what they always should have been. Entirely private.

The only people who need to know what has gone on are his immediate family so they can have closure and the coroner for obvious reasons.

The rest of us should simply remember what a truly gifted footballer he was and and even better human being and let him rest in peace.

I would like to know (as a simple matter of fact) whether there was a tabloid story about to break on him. I don't want to know any of the details of that story at all, but I'd like to know if it was a factor. People have personal choice, and it was his personal choice to take his life, so I'd never go as far to say a tabloid is directly responsible for something like this, but if it was a factor I do want that to be known as they are the scum of the earth and theres never been a better time in recent history (phone hacking climate) to change journalistic practices for ever. I don't want Gary's private life to be a vehicle for it, just something that gives legitimate standing to ask the question in the first place. We're a fucking hopelessly gossip/celeb obsessed country (mainly female driven it has to be said), but a lot of it offends against our decency as a society these days. If (very very big if) there was any truth that a paper had been onto him, I'd want that exposed and his death to at least have that positive outcome.

I agree with your point here- if a tabloid was a factor in him choosing to die, I'd want to know. so that they can be exposed for the scum that they are.

But, for that to happen, any story they were going to print would almost inevitably come out.

I'm not sure about the tabloid story theory. Generally 'big' stories come out in the Sunday papers and the target of the story finds out about it very late in the day. There was no time for any Sunday paper to pull a story so I'm not sure if one exists.

I think the Leveson Inquiry are duty-bound to investigate the rumours circulating twitter to see if there's any truth in them and it is in the public's interests to know either way. But the details of any story that may have been about to break on him should never see the light of day.

Tell you what if there is a link, given that the Leveson inquiry is sitting at the moment, the British press as we know it should be consigned to history.

The Leveson Inquiry is not duty bound to investigate anything because of a silly rumour on Twitter. In fact I very much doubt whether they could get involved at this stage even if they wanted to.

The Coroner's Inquest may shed some light on the reasons behind what has happened.

Edited by ewerk

Once again I worry about you.

The Leveson Inquiry is not duty bound to investigate anything because of a silly rumour on Twitter. In fact I very much doubt whether they could get involved at this stage even if they wanted to.

The Coroner's Inquest may shed some light on the reasons behind what has happened.

Aye I know - 'duty-bound' is incorrect. I think they have may have a moral duty to investigate if there is any truth though.

And yes, you're quite right, nothing can be done until the coroner has returned his verdict. Think that might take some time.

Tell you what if there is a link, given that the Leveson inquiry is sitting at the moment, the British press as we know it should be consigned to history.

As Ian Hislop pointed out on HIGNFY this week, the British press actually exposed the hacking scandal, not the police or MPs who would have preferred everything to be swept under the carpet....and did so for a long time until the outrage peaked over 'real people' being hacked as opposed to 'celebrities'.

Maybe the British constabulary and government should be consigned to history for not enforcing the law, rather than those members of the press that break it with impunity.

Whos

As Ian Hislop pointed out on HIGNFY this week, the British press actually exposed the hacking scandal, not the police or MPs who would have preferred everything to be swept under the carpet....and did so for a long time until the outrage peaked over 'real people' being hacked as opposed to 'celebrities'.

Maybe the British constabulary and government should be consigned to history for not enforcing the law, rather than those members of the press that break it with impunity.

How was Craig lauding MP's etc? Large elements of the tabloid press are cunts, the fact theres shite police and MP's too isn't much of a defence as far as I'm concerned.

Whos

How was Craig lauding MP's etc? Large elements of the tabloid press are cunts, the fact theres shite police and MP's too isn't much of a defence as far as I'm concerned.

He wasn't. I think he was suggesting there should potentially be changes to press regulation. I'm saying there are already laws in place to cover this stuff, so there's no point coming up with more laws and saying "we'll REALLY enforce them this time" and just leaving the people working for us (police/MPs) to enforce them as poorly as they have previously.

Just had sky's Brynn Law outside Ellend Rd, they were good mates and exchanged texts on Saturday afternoon, he then said he txt him Sunday morning to say give him a call as sick rumour going round, no call then he broke down. Very sad to see

was just coming to post that very same thing

that was actually heartbreaking to watch

Just had sky's Brynn Law outside Ellend Rd, they were good mates and exchanged texts on Saturday afternoon, he then said he txt him Sunday morning to say give him a call as sick rumour going round, no call then he broke down. Very sad to see

That doesn't sound too good that like.

Listening to all the people who spoke to him on Saturday makes it even more baffling as to why, there has to be something very serious, too big for him to face. I hope if It's bad then for the sake of his family it never comes out.

If it turns out a tabloid has been hounding him then they should be shut down, I deteste our gutter press anyway