Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

Just had sky's Brynn Law outside Ellend Rd, they were good mates and exchanged texts on Saturday afternoon, he then said he txt him Sunday morning to say give him a call as sick rumour going round, no call then he broke down. Very sad to see

was just coming to post that very same thing

that was actually heartbreaking to watch

This. I've never personally met either of the guys, but I had a lump in my throat watching that

texting jokes to your mates, it hardly seems like the behaviour of someone who was going to kill himself the next day

>15% of people in developed countries such as UK and USA suffer from some form of depression (which means more than 1 in 8). Now how many of you know anyone with a depressive disorder?

The fact that its seen as weakness and not treated equally as say a condition of another part of the body, explains why many people hide it. Typically, someone with depression will be told to "pull themselves together" etc, which aint gonna happen. Increasing the awareness, understanding and how this can be approached is the key here. The folks that hide it well, but bottle it make up the other statistic that ~15% of folks with severe depression commit suicide. Sadly, a lot of these can be prevented.

Football not being the best example of place for revealing mental "weaknesses". Would you sit down and discuss psychological issues with Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen?

I'd just dropped off my folks and flicked the radio onto Radio Newcastle , the song finished and then I heard Gary Speed's voice. Fucking knocked me sideways and I had to pull over.

Then I get home and I've got an email from a mate saying I should click on this link, it's the Bryn Law video and I'm nearly in tears again.

I'm not normally a particularly emotional bloke, but for whatever reason this has really hit me.

RIP Gary.

everyone who speaks about how good a bloke he was, how he had no enemies and how no one disliked him

the thing is, its not just lip service they all mean it, he really was a genuinely good bloke, not many people you can say that about especially in football these days

That Bryn law clip is heartbreaking.

It's just so strange and doesn't add up. I've no idea what goes through a mind pre-suicide but youd have thought his closest friends would pick up on something. To be so happy and arranging things for next weekend to the following morning doing that....I'm struggling to put the words down. Feel so sorry for his kids and wife, for us to feel like this without even knowing him...

High achievers who commit suicide are often suffering from an unspoken depression.

We live in society that discourages sharing of innermost feelings, this is perhaps amplified for those who are in the limelight or at the top of their trees, as they have even more of a show to put on. If everyone thinks you are a sorted, steady person who is a pillar of strength to all then perhaps it is even harder for you to reveal your vulnerability. This would doubtless add to your woes.

I'm not saying this is what happened to Gary, but I can't help but look for a reason as to why someone with so much success chose to end it all.

Vulnerability is what can connect us, sadly I think it all too often isolates us.

Thoughts remain with his family, widow and bairns.

Edited by trophyshy

texting jokes to your mates, it hardly seems like the behaviour of someone who was going to kill himself the next day

>15% of people in developed countries such as UK and USA suffer from some form of depression (which means more than 1 in 8). Now how many of you know anyone with a depressive disorder?

The fact that its seen as weakness and not treated equally as say a condition of another part of the body, explains why many people hide it. Typically, someone with depression will be told to "pull themselves together" etc, which aint gonna happen. Increasing the awareness, understanding and how this can be approached is the key here. The folks that hide it well, but bottle it make up the other statistic that ~15% of folks with severe depression commit suicide. Sadly, a lot of these can be prevented.

Football not being the best example of place for revealing mental "weaknesses". Would you sit down and discuss psychological issues with Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen?

You are making the assumption that he was suffering from depression. Who knows if that is the case?

Gary Speed, a sports manager, takes his own life and recieves a stupendous amount of respects and homage paid to him today. A soldier from 5 Rifles was also killed today, half Gary's age and died whilst serving our country, yet all he recieves is a ten second mention on the radio then the world forgets him. It is sad that Gary Speed died, but I hate that we live in a world where the only deaths we concern ourselves with are celebrities, not heroes

Why does shit like this get rolled out everytime someone dies, and the word "hero" all of a sudden meaning "someone who may have been a cunt but signed a form saying he'd be paid to join the army, and noone else from any other walk of life" ffs.

Edited by CleeToonFan

Gary Speed, a sports manager, takes his own life and recieves a stupendous amount of respects and homage paid to him today. A soldier from 5 Rifles was also killed today, half Gary's age and died whilst serving our country, yet all he recieves is a ten second mention on the radio then the world forgets him. It is sad that Gary Speed died, but I hate that we live in a world where the only deaths we concern ourselves with are celebrities, not heroes

Why does shit like this get rolled out everytime someone dies, and the word "hero" all of a sudden meaning "someone who may have been a cunt but signed a form saying he'd be paid to join the army, and noone else from any other walk of life" ffs.

wheres that come from?

Why does mourning have to be a competition?

Fuck off. I loved Gary Speed & had a deep admiration for him he was one of my favourite players so if I'm upset by his death - as lots of other fans are that's nobody's business but their own & when it comes together the football community itself. A great man doesn't always have to wear a uniform.

This is from someone who'll wear a poppy, with a couple of great friends involved in the army.

It was on a Gary Speed memorial video, there's mourning videos for soldiers and things too, imagine if I turned up on them and said fuck off and mourn Speed. The thing is, it's NEVER soldiers or servicemen who spout this shite, it's cunts who think they're doing their bit for slagging off other people who aren't soldiers. Cunts like that we should just not give a funeral to. Simply saying "You weren't in the army, so you shouldn't be mourned".

Apologies if I sound heartless as I'm really not trying to be, but soldiers are fully aware of the dangers they're willingly exposing themselves to.

We're all upset at Speed's death because he was part of our club and a true hero of the game we all love. Like has been said; it's no mourning competition - it's tragic when any life is needlessly cut short.

Apologies if I sound heartless as I'm really not trying to be, but soldiers are fully aware of the dangers they're willingly exposing themselves to.

We're all upset at Speed's death because he was part of our club and a true hero of the game we all love. Like has been said; it's no mourning competition - it's tragic when any life is needlessly cut short.

My point exactly. It's not like we have an entire day set out to mourn soldiers which has recently become around a week... Anyway enough of it, I still can't fully believe the situation, seeing the cover of the sun today was unbelievable, when a red top gives you that much respect you know you was a special person.

I couldn't watch more than a few seconds, too moving.

I feel sadder tonight about it than I did last night :( :( It's the most mental suicide I've ever heard of. That scouse bird Danielle Lloyd she's been with loads of footballers, and she said they're not like normal human beings they think of themselves as god. Gary Speed wasn't like that, but....when you look at Gazza, and other players too, the first 3 or 4 years when you finish playing are hard to deal with as playing the game and making people happy are all you've known. Gary only played in his last game 2 years ago, and maybe it was part of accepting it was over for him in that sense. I don't know. It's just hard to not think about why someone who you've respected and liked from a distance has done this.