Gary Speed - Rest in peace

@yourservice

Naw it's not but normally the nature of the beast means that stuff comes out (either illness or the likes of addictive problems) but he's never been in the limelight for anything but sport or good deeds

what makes it so utterly wierd, quiet rich happy family man just kills himself after going to see his mate on strictly and doing an interview for the beeb.

That's the portrait we've seen in the media. Perhaps he struggled with depression privately, we don't know. It doesn't really matter, the end result remains unfortunately.

I agree that it's hard not to wonder if there was something else that caused him to do it.

I also agree that it's a very selfish act when there are kids involved. You may be ending your own suffering but for those left behind, it's just the beginning.

Maybe he was one of those who struggled to adjust to not being a player anymore, considering how long he played for and that he actually retired through a back injury

I agree that it's hard not to wonder if there was something else that caused him to do it.

I also agree that it's a very selfish act when there are kids involved. You may be ending your own suffering but for those left behind, it's just the beginning.

I can't imagine how fragile somebody must be to do such a thing, especially when they know what they are leaving behind.

Maybe he was one of those who struggled to adjust to not being a player anymore, considering how long he played for and that he actually retired through a back injury

would still be strange seeing as he was starting to get Wales going. If anything I'd more be wondering if he stayed in the game so long to keep his mind off other things. As KSA said, whatever the reason, the tragic reality remains the same.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Read up on depression and the various types. It's not as easy as saying "what does he have to be depressed about, there must be something up" or "how did no-one notice, why was he doing this and that".

Maybe he did things like Football Focus to try and carry on as normal but just because he wasn't hiding away or crying every time someone spoke to him it doesn't mean that he couldn't be deeply depressed, he could have just kept it all in.

Horrible to say like but since it's the first thing I thought off when I heard it was suicide I will (doubt i'm alone in thinking it either)

Money, wife, kids, pretty much a job with no pressure on, seemingly well liked with plenty of friends etc

Who if they're that depressed/in that state of mind signs themselves up to do things like football focus and the like? it's not like it's a mandatory appearance or something.

Especially when you hear them all saying "shock he seemed so happy", seems odd someone like that can hide it so well.

Must admit when i heard the words suicide added with thinking the above I thought "oh uh wonder what scandal is coming out about speed"

Not having a dig at him or whatever it just seems utterly bizarre no one thought he was even remotely a bit down in the dumps and he's doing shite like football focus and what not.

You're not alone in thinking along those lines Ant

Given the " out of the blue" nature every comment on it by those who were close to him over the course of the day, I've wondered if it wasn't a horrible accident, a hanging, but not intending to kill himself.

In a way, I hope this turns out to be the case, as at least his wife kids will know he didn't leave them intentionally.

I thought at one time in my life I was depressed, splitting from my ex wife, her taking my wee girl away abroad but I must admit I never thought of taking my own life. I find it hard to even imagine what must go through the mind of a clinically depressed person smiling on the outside and screaming in the inside. I hope to god his family have the strength to get through this. RIP

Given the " out of the blue" nature every comment on it by those who were close to him over the course of the day, I've wondered if it wasn't a horrible accident, a hanging, but not intending to kill himself.

In a way, I hope this turns out to be the case, as at least his wife kids will know he didn't leave them intentionally.

The only cases I've heard of where people hang themselves without intending to kill themselves have all involved auto-erotic asphyxiation.

The only cases I've heard of where people hang themselves without intending to kill themselves have all involved auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Aye, me too.

I think if that's why he's killed himself, it just emphasises how much homophobia exists in football. We had a gay kid in one of my Sunday League teams, and certain ones wouldn't shower when he was there. The wider football world is probably even worse, look at Justin Fashanu he got grief every single game, even off his own fans.

Edited by McFaul

SIckening if that rumour is true. If it is then some twat of a journalist has blood on his hands today. Says everything about the British media that they will go to any extreme to publish a "scoop". The way the media works a lot of the victims of the exclusives know about it a few days before, they'll get a call saying this is going to be published on Sunday, do you want to make any comment etc.

The NOTW phone hacking has been the first nail in the coffin for the tabloid media, if this rumour is true then it must be the end.

RIP Gary Speed.