2000 - 2011 best XI

WilsonNufc

I was having a discussion with my mate at work yesterday and I was amazed at how different our views are on Newcastles best XI over the last 10 seasons.

I was wondering what others thought our best XI would be and how many of the current crop would appear in this team?

Mine was as follows:

...........................Given..................................

Beye.....Coloccini......Woodgate.......Bernard

Solano.......Speed........Dyer..............Robert

..................Shearer.....Bellamy.....................

Dyer is probably a controversial choice but I was a huge fan of his and was very exciting to watch when on form. How do other peoples teams differ to this? Iv been racking my brain for hours now and have a feeling Im missing one or two players but cant think of who...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to largely be the side that competed so well in the Champions League, but with the likes of Colo, Enqrique and Beye, as you said. I don't think there's much room for discussion at the moment, but in a couple of years we may be able to fully justify putting the likes of Ba, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tioté and Krul in the side.

Enrique ahead of Bernard for me

By a mile.

And it's much too early to consider putting the likes of Cabaye etc into this list, they need to put in at least one consistently good season.

Also f it weren't for Speed, I'd have said Tiote.

That's absolutely true, but in that case the whole concept of the OP becomes a bit pointless. ie if you only qualify for selection after at least one season nobody acquired since promotion is even available for consideration. Just call it '2000-relegation best XI'

Think it's generous to put Enrique in from his one good top flight season. He's a better player than Bernard now, but it was a long time coming.

I wonder how much quicker he might have settled had Allardyce not played Zoggy ahead of him. Even if he was making mistakes, at least he'd have been learning. I don't think he needed the protection Allardyce gave him early on, he wasn't a teenager or owt, he was 21+ when he came.

Well that's wrong, in fact I nominated Tiote and agreed with Enrique in that very post. I'm talking about players we bought in the summer.

edit; although if we're talking about current form specifically then fair enough.

I'm just saying anyone can say 'flash in the pan' for practically anyone bought since promotion as it's valid to say "well x did it for season after season, y has only been here a year".

So while its reasonable to say it, it makes it a bit daft too as it's essentially an unreal concept to begin with.

And anyone not putting Enrique needs a psychiatric referral, he's the best toon LB in my lifetime, never mind the last 11 years, and thats despite being shit for consecutive seasons.

Well that's wrong, in fact I nominated Tiote and agreed with Enrique in that very post. I'm talking about players we bought in the summer.

edit; although if we're talking about current form specifically then fair enough.

I'm just saying anyone can say 'flash in the pan' for practically anyone bought since promotion as it's valid to say "well x did it for season after season, y has only been here a year".

So while its reasonable to say it, it makes it a bit daft too as it's essentially an unreal concept to begin with.

And anyone not putting Enrique needs a psychiatric referral, he's the best toon LB in my lifetime, never mind the last 11 years, and thats despite being shit for consecutive seasons.

S'pose that's where it needs clarification...the better servant of NUFC, or the best player to pull on the shirt....the impartial observer might put Kluivert ahead of Bellamy if it's the latter.

Some fair points. I was torn between Enrique and Bernard but I wa always a big fan of Bernard and thought Enrique only had one good season in prem, Bernard had a few more. Also agree with the Tiote remarks, I was tempted but again think over a sustained period of time Dyer and Speed were class acts in the middle and in a few years time I can see Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Krul etc being in that team if they keep up their form.

How about another angle on this, what is the worst XI you have witnessed since 2000 to grace the NUFC top?

Worst NUFC XI since 2000:

.............................Perez............................

Carr.......Boumsong....Cacapa...Babayaro

Geremi.........Faye.......Gavilan.....Cordone

.....................Xisco............Andersson

Again I dont think Carr was particularly crap all the time but I cant think of anyone worsee since 2000. Cordone wasnt a left winger but he had to fit in somewhere and couldnt think of another one who was worse.

Any improvements on my team?

Andersen was gone in 1999, switch for Luque. I'm sure there are plenty of other options though.

Could add in the likes of Bassades, or that guy Wise got on loan that never played.

Personally, from this era I hated seeing Nicky Butt's name in the team virtually every week while he was here. I never liked him and he was fucking shit, even if he "gave his all" apparently.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Nicky Butt was mainly having a laugh, we were clueless to extend his career. Abject lesson in just matching someones wages and then not demanding the same standards of them they'd been used to elsewhere. Only human nature that they'll just think you're a joke.

Edited by manc-mag

Again I dont think Carr was particularly crap all the time but I cant think of anyone worsee since 2000. Cordone wasnt a left winger but he had to fit in somewhere and couldnt think of another one who was worse.

Alan Smith?

Did Perez ever play a senior game for us?

Don't think he did

Did Perez ever play a senior game for us?

Don't think he did

I wasnt sure but couldnt think of anybody else that deserved to be worst keeper! Harper, Given, Krul. I think John Karelse made more than one senior appearance didnt he? If so I'll replace Perez with Karelse. I was thinking Rob Lee but thought his best years were late 90's for us.

I'll have a shit Rob Lee over a fit Dyer any day.

When both in their prime Rob Lee would walk into the team ahead of Dyer any day, that cant be argued really. But as the question was for a team from 2000, I dont think Rob Lee in the last season and a half at NUFC offered more than Dyer did in his time from 2000 onwards.

A NUFC team from 1990 onwards would certainly see Lee in CM

i would have andy o'brien replace woodgate... enrique for bernard... lee for dyer...

Personally, from this era I hated seeing Nicky Butt's name in the team virtually every week while he was here. I never liked him and he was fucking shit, even if he "gave his all" apparently.

:aye:

Faye in the worst? Dont agree with that like, Id have liked him to stay with us. I also rated Domi as a LB. But I think the player that enrique became has been the best we've had.

Anyone else feel they should get a semi at the thought of a Woodgate/Collocini partnership?

Or would two cool bastards together not work.

Edited by NJS