Best Album of the Year

Happy Face

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always seem to get in to albums a few years after they were released... so my picks of this year would be:

Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing

The National - High Violet

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

Not a single one from 2011 :razz:

I'm still working my way through this year's fare and I'm a long way from being done - had about six months where I barely listened to any new music, but the enthusiasm has returned now. So far I've liked the Roddy Woomble album a lot, the Mountain Goats are on form as ever, but more than anything I'm loving this. It's basically tailor-made for anyone who comes from an old mining area and thinks "()" was Sigur Rós's best album. Which: :hiya:

I'm still working my way through this year's fare and I'm a long way from being done - had about six months where I barely listened to any new music, but the enthusiasm has returned now. So far I've liked the Roddy Woomble album a lot, the Mountain Goats are on form as ever, but more than anything I'm loving this. It's basically tailor-made for anyone who comes from an old mining area and thinks "()" was Sigur Rós's best album. Which: :hiya:

Did he used to be the Idlewild singer?

Did he used to be the Idlewild singer?

Aye

I always seem to get in to albums a few years after they were released... so my picks of this year would be:

Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing

The National - High Violet

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

Not a single one from 2011 :razz:

The album I've listened to the most in the last year.

I dont think i can name one, so have done a bit of a top 10.

Destroyer - Kaputt. Highly recommend a listen for its beautiful production, was the first album i bought in 2011 and it blew me away. My most listened to song of 2011 is Kaputt but Bay of Pigs is exceptional too. It sort of hovers between indie, 80s pop and house music without breaking stride and the lyrics are great. Uplifting, melancholy, thoughtful and funny.

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact. Was a big fan of their last album but this is better. The album opener, Glass Jar is worth the entrance fee alone but still have no idea how to categorise it. Romance Layers is my second most listened to song of 2011.

SBTRKT - SBTRKT. The best pop album of the year and he also did the best remix of Lotus Flower. Wildfire is my 16th most listened to song of 2011. Mainly because the other places are taken up by Destroyer, GGD and The Weeknd's House of Balloons (which would be my 4th choice)

Am going to go with AH and say St Vincent too, absolutely fantastic album. Thurston Moore's Demolished Thoughts doesnt seem to have had much attention but i really like that too.

I've bought a lot of electronic albums this year, Machinedrum's Room(s) on Planet Mu mixes Chicago footworks and UK bass amongst other things, I feel like body-popping when am listening to it. He has also just released Sepalcure - Sepalcure on DJ Scuba's Hotflush (who did my favourite DJ Kicks for ages) . Modeselektor's Monkeytown is a lot of fun and features Thom Yorke, PVT, Miss Platnum etc to keep everyone interested and really liked Walls' - Coracle for its straightforwardness, am too old to bounce around at parties on drugs but if i wasnt, i'd be listening to that.

That makes 10 i think.

With you on Thurston Moore, Chez. Just listened to it today and it's excellent. I really love House of Balloons too; my past week has basically been spent listening to it. The transition from House of Balloons to Glass Table Girls is immense. I don't think I can pick a Top 10 yet but my definites would be:

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

The Weeknd - House of Balloons

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost

The Dear Hunter - The Colour Spectrum

Night Beats - S/T

Thee Oh Sees - Carrion Crawler/The Dream

Not heard Kate Bush, Feist or Tom Waits yet and there's stuff released earlier in the year that I'll have to re-listen to like Beastie Boys, Radiohead, Psychic Paramount, Danger Mouse and Destroyer to see how I feel about them.

It's been a pretty good year though IMO. Special credit to Gotye for releasing, maybe, the best single with "Somebody That I Used to Know", closely followed by SBTRKT's "Wildfire"

EDIT: Lykke Li, Laura Marling and Anna Calvi all had good albums too. Sisters doing it for themselves

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Kasabian-Velociraptor!

you serious? a shocking effort, I love Kasabian but it was really poor

Their second best album imo, with West Ryder number 1. Brilliant album, think it's one that'll appreciate amazingly with time too. Each one of their albums is so different, best band in the world at the minute if you ask me. Off to see em at the o2 for what'll be the 5th time :D. Problem is recently they've started having a lot of the old Oasis sorta "LADSSSS" turning up screaming "Play fire" every 5 minutes while they have their fucking shirts off.

Goodbye Kiss at the end of the F1 coverage was enough to make me love it even if I didn't love the rest of the album

Oh, that's who it was. I had it on mute so I was idly wondering. Not enough to unmute it, mind.

Only listened to it a couple of times but "Blood Pressures" by The Kills is a really good album from this year.

Never bothered with them until the other day but there's a few excellent songs on there

Satellite being one such example