Best Album of the Year

Happy Face

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of what I have bought this year has been old stuff. I think my most played album this year has been In your Honour - Foo Fighters.

However, as albums from this year go the best one would be 50 Words for Snow - Kate Bush. Took me a couple of plays for it to really strike a chord with me but it's good stuff. Also had her Directors Cut and that would be a close second. The new vocal on some of the tracks is well worth a listen. I dont think you appreciate how much her voice has matured until you listen to the new version a few times and then go back to the old. Tracks like Song of Solomon and what is now Flower of the Mountain.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still working my way through this year's fare and I'm a long way from being done

Indeed, I was so annoyed at having disengaged from music that I decided to properly dive into 2011. After trawling threads like this, review sites, general recommendations, even the charts :o, I ended up with no fewer than 320 albums I wanted to listen to. :doh:

Second week of January and there's, ooh, 140 or so left go to... I know it's ridiculous but there's always some really good stuff in there so I just can't make it stop. Good thing I work from home really :blush2:

Might be down to my more limited preferences, but there is so little left for me to explore from last year's music. I thought it was pretty awful for me personally. A few disappointments, very little in the way of freshness and hardly any new bands/artists that that excited me.

This thread suggests my taste in music is a bit out of place on here, mind

Didnt mention The Antlers - Burst Apart. It got the DiS album of the year and was listening to the 4 tracks i downloaded off it this afternoon, very good.

I also got the Drake album over Christmas which was on loads of end of year lists, its great but why does everyone layer or vocode their vocals so much nowadays? I blame Stock, Aitken and Waterman.

You can listen to my favourite tracks of 2011 here...

http://grooveshark.c...f+2011/64788442

Removal of the ipod from the work environment meant I listened to half the stuff i normally do though. I envy you Meenzer.

Got it on now, nice to hear some new stuff. Is it easy to do? I've got an account.

Aye, piece of piss. Just create a playlist name and you can add any song on there to it by clicking the little down arrow by the song name.

I got into using it at Christmas cos you can search on playlists and get hundreds of different ones with Christmas in the title. Great for Halloween and that too.

Edited by Happy Face

My 2011 Top 40 tracks of the year, as decided by play count but only including one track per artist, with the odd exception.

http://grooveshark.c...s+2011/65959157

Just been listening to some Pink Floyd, decided to give Chez's list a go.

Wicked Games - Cheesy and includes inane lyrics--up there with Kid Rock, who has penned gems like, "I saw your band... jumping round on stage like a bunch of motherfucking wounded ducks."

After how shit the initial track was I couldn't be bothered listening to the others in full. I picked up that you are into a cheesy pop/hipster vibe. 'Jesus Fever' by Kurt Vile sounded like it could have some potential, but it consisted of the same faffy chord progressions with some French hipster drooling into the mic over it.

My 2011 Top 40 tracks of the year, as decided by play count but only including one track per artist, with the odd exception.

http://grooveshark.c...s+2011/65959157

Hadn't followed your advice on Gotye sooner, I like that track. The guitar sounds like a laid back version of Senses Working Overtime by XTC, Nice bit of twee xylophoning too.

It was AH that posted that Gotye track on here, i'd never heard of them before.

Jonny, there are a few recommends on page 2 of this thread, that modeselektor's album is canny. I would add to the previous list i posted

Four Tet - Fabriclive 59

The Field - Looping state of mind

Depends on what you're interested in really, i know you liked the chilled vibes so Nicolas Jaar and Shlomo's album's might be worth a listen.

I hardly listen to new music tbh. Prob missing something, people have recommended new groups to me but I don't have the time and I'm not buying or paying for downloads from groups etc I've not heard of.

My collection is quite extensive though, the most up to date band I like is Greenday, American Idiot is def one of my top 5 albums/CD's of all time.

• 5 months later...