Best Album of the Year

Happy Face

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Alt-J & Djanjo Djanjo for me this year... the fact I don't even listen to that type of music normally would suggest to me how great the albums are for me to say they are my favourite 2 from this year.

Ben Howard comes in 3rd on my list

Robert Hood - Motor Nighttime World 3

I watched Requiem for Detroit earlier this year, which is a fascinating story of our times. I also stopped off there on the way back from Chicago in June, then a couple of months ago i got a copy of this album. If a concept album telling the story of a city's technological and industrial decline via the medium that very city is synonymous with sounds interesting, then give this a go. If you just like lush techno, you might also like it.

Christian Loffler - A Forest

Melodic, minimalistic, its similar to Pantha du Prince's Black Noise in style and in some of the production tricks (the title possibly name-checking a track) but its much more accessible and therefore for me, more immersing which good techno should be. A novice might find it harmless, an amateur a bit enticing.

Jets - Jets E.P

Last years Room(s) by Machinedrum was the most fascinating album i've heard for a long time. Travis Stewart teamed up with Jimmy Edgar and we got Jets. Ridiculously good, i just wish i was young enough to get off completely off me napper to it at 7 in the morning wearing a silly hat and unable to feel my face.

Daphi - JIAOLONG

A collection of tracks that Dan Snaith released under the moniker he uses when not fronting Caribou. To be honest, i've included it here for the first 4 tracks off the album which are basically loads and loads of fun. Unashamedly brilliant party music.

Rone - Tohu Bohu

French trancey techno off one of their best labels, InFine. The killer track is called Parade which is eerily familiar, i keep thinking of a film i've seen during the intro and wondering if its the sample.

Tomas Barfod - Salton Sea

Danish producer who made his name on Kompakt. Includes one of my top 20 tunes of the year, November Skies buts its an excellent electronica / pop album. Worth a listen for most tastes.

Grimes - Visions

Its going to be on most people's end of year lists and why not? Its pop music and if that poppy girly voice doesnt do it for you then its going to be a difficult listen but then again, those melodies are worth it and that large echoey drop, one minute into Genesis that announces Grimes's arrival, should get you on your feet.

Sigha - Living with Ghosts

On Scuba's Hotflush label, there is a resurgence in the British techno scene of late and thats a good thing. This is dark, energetic and reminds me of being in an illegal rave in the storage basement of a dis-used supermarket in Leytonstone. (what a story that is).

Claro Intelecto - Reform Club

From dub-techno producer Mark Stewart nn dutch label Delsin, been listening to this all year. Veers from house to paired down 90bpm ambient techno. If murky 'knackered house' leaves you thinking 'wtf?', this may help.

Edited by ChezGiven

I used to buy predominantly house but the first Detroit techno album I bought was in 1991, called Emotions Electric on Network records. It's pretty hard to be into electronic music and not like The Detroit sound tbh.

Been listening to Kenny Larkin's two classic 90s albums Metaphor and Azimuth of late. Fucking brilliant man.

Saw Grimes in Hamburg a few months ago. Absolute cack with pleasing synthy choruses and backbeats. High point was finding Marlboro giving away free fags in the backroom.

I like her and I really wanted to like her, but just didn't really happen.

Edited by Park Life

Saw Grimes in Hamburg a few months ago. Absolute cack with pleasing synthy choruses and backbeats. High point was finding Marlboro giving away free fags in the backroom.

I like her and I really wanted to like her, but just didn't really happen.

Same here tbh. It's been hyped for ages but I don't see it like. For my synth pop, I've been listening to the Chairlift record. Some great choruses on there.

If I had to pick some albums to definitely recommend, they'd be:

Frank Ocean: Channel Orange

Tame Impala: Lonerism

Bryan Scary: Daffy's Elixir

Fiona Apple: The Idler Wheel

The Weeknd Trilogy (if it counts as a release) as it's the best way to hear those albums.

Killer Mike: R.A.P. Music

If you like the rock and the blues music, there's Dr. John's Locked Down, Jack White's Blunderbuss and Thee Oh Sees' Putrifiers

For a healthy dose of dad rock, there's Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill, Bob Dylan's Tempest and a surprisingly fun Springsteen album

I also liked that iamiwhoami record, if you haven't heard it, Chez.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Its funny you should mention that as alex does a mean Kevin Bacon impression when he hoys some dub techno on.

You heard much of Deepchord? Sampled a few bits and bobs and I think they might be right up my strasse. They're a bit like a chilled out Basic Channel.

Edited by Alex

Edit - copying fucking playlists, ffs.

Got that on now AH, not that into it. Here's my top 20 tunes anyway, easier than albums as the play count on itunes doesnt lie

Gone Tomorrow - Lambchop ( Mr. M)

Genesis - Grimes (Visions)

Sonnet - Hundred Waters (Hundred Waters)

Cosmic Concerto - Bill Fay (Life is People)

Dark Star - POLICA (Give You the Ghost)

Midnight Sun - Isaac Delusion (Midnight Sun)

Running - Jessie Ware (Devotion)

Flutes - Hot Chip (In Our Heads)

New York - Angel Haze (Reservation)

Sweet Life - Frank Ocean (Channel Orange)

The Full Retard - El-P (Cancer for cure)

Paradise - Wild Nothing (Nocturn)

Stupid - Bobby Womack (The Bravest Man)

I'm His Girl - Friends (Manifest!)

November Skies - Tomas Barfod (Salton Seas)

Everything is Embarrassing - Sky Ferreira (Ghost)

Millions - Eternal Summers (Correct Behaviour)

Goddess Eyes II - Julia Holter (Ekstasis)

Air Conditioning - DIIV (Oshin)

Speak in Rounds - Grizzly Bear (Shields)