Best Album of the Year

Happy Face

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

possibly, and you are right about the samplefest, it is a little overkill. but in my view its one of my top 5 albums of this year. such is my limited taste!

Have you heard ?

Machinedrum - Room(s)

Kuedo - Severant

Modeselektor - Monkeytown

Roman Flugel - Fatty Folders

Dominik Eulberg - Diorama

Lone - Emerald Fantasy Tracks

Nicolas Jaar - Space is only noise

Agoria - Impermanence

Recommend all of them even knowing you could fit your musical taste between 2 micro-genres.

I dont get the ISAM love, interesting album but not that innovative, not that listenable, not particularly anything apart from a sample-fest. What am i missing? Ninja fan-dom?
I like the splodgy noises

:lol: Its a good a reason as any.

I dont get the ISAM love, interesting album but not that innovative, not that listenable, not particularly anything apart from a sample-fest. What am i missing? Ninja fan-dom?

:)

I couldn't name another Ninjatune artist with any certainty to tell the truth :blush2:

But been an Amon Tobin fanboy since Foley Room.

Seasick Steve's new one was pretty decent. Bowling For Soup's latest release, Fishing For Woos! is a good effort too (atrocious name for an album though).

Atrocious name for a band too, so it's all good.

*ducks*

Seasick Steve's new one was pretty decent. Bowling For Soup's latest release, Fishing For Woos! is a good effort too (atrocious name for an album though).

*ducks*

Reported.

*ducks*

Reported.

The Reported, that could be our "band called The Something" name when we finally get a Toontastic all-stars line-up together. Bagsy the top bunk on the tour bus.

:)

I couldn't name another Ninjatune artist with any certainty to tell the truth :blush2:

But been an Amon Tobin fanboy since Foley Room.

I quite like one track off the new album but tbh i only listened to it a couple of time and was still left a bit puzzled. I think Ninja have quite a roster nowadays, its always been an impressive label.

Am very into Planet Mu at the minute, they even signed my favourite blog band, Keep Shelly in Athens who did some quality Balearic tracks last year. That Machinedrum and Kuedo are on the label. DJ Diamonds juke/footwork album is on there too. All rich and interesting sounds worth checking out if you like mad electronic music.

*ducks*

Reported.

The Reported, that could be our "band called The Something" name when we finally get a Toontastic all-stars line-up together. Bagsy the top bunk on the tour bus.

With our EP consisting of:

Monroe Transfer

No, Gemmil

Cunterhead

Just managed to procure 'Flying High' by The Irresitible Force for £9.99 + p&p. Been after it for ages but baulk at paying upwards of 30 snots for a 2nd hand CD that's not that rare. Irrelevant bar my being willing to bet it pisses all over any electronica album released in the last 12 months ;)

Alphabetically

Antlers - Burst Apart

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Decemberists - The King Is Dead

Destroyer - Kaputt

EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact

Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost

Holy Ghost - Holy Ghost

The Horrors - Skying

Iron And Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean

Jamie Woon - Mirrorwriting

Junior Boys - It's All True

M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming

The Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck

Radiohead - The King Of Limbs

Speculator - Nice

St Vincent - Strange Mercy

TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light

The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From The Vaccines

Overall my top three would probably be (in no order) Destroyer, M83 and Antlers.

I think while there's been a lot of stuff worth listening to, this year has been a year of let downs. I've not really discovered much new (which is why this list is coming across as very Pitchfork) that I've been massively impressed with (Gang Gang Dance, The Horrors and EMA would probably top that) and the artists that I really love (Radiohead, TV On The Radio, Decemberists) have released albums that while still very good, are way below their best work. I think my three favourite albums there are the only ones that I would say could be classed as right up there if not better than anything they've done before.

Last years Bonobo album is probably still my most listened to this year!