Video Games of 2011

Ayatollah Hermione

Been a canny year (though I've not played Uncharted 3 and Assassins Creed: Revelations yet) but for the most part, the best games have been the ones not hyped up too much.

Little Big Planet 2 was fantastic IMO. Great, inventive level design and the community tools they gave people were insane. Some really crazy user-made levels coming out of that with my only gripe being they couldn't code the possibility for user-levels to use PS Move so I could play hundreds of light-gun levels.

Dead Space 2 had some impressive set-pieces but was an action game masquerading as a survival horror game; struggled to get the ammo consumption right and improves a lot more when you play it on a lower difficulty, treat it as a big budget Aliens rip off and enjoy the set-pieces.

Killzone 3 and Homefront were terrible.

MORTAL KOMBAT was incredible. I'm no fighting game wizard (and never will) so Mortal Kombat appeals to me nicely and the nostalgia kick was great. It had more than that though with a fun story mode, a crazy challenge tower mode and FREDDY KRUEGER as DLC.

Portal 2 was very good and incredibly well written though lacked the insular charms of the original. Though, their work in expanding that universe in an innovative way was excellent and the puzzles were brilliant. Fun CO-OP mode too.

LA Noire was basically a point and click adventure game with a great setting but silly story. Its core mechanics were functional but rode a lot of goodwill with the Mocap stuff. I did really enjoy it though, thought the scraping around for clues etc brought back nice little memories of Broken Sword and Sam and Max.

Not played Infamous 2 or Dragon Age 2

Deus Ex was so average that I struggled to get through half of it. Still got it to complete.

DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO. What a great game. Drugged out cop plays out 70s buddy cop fantasy in his head complete with driving under trucks, smashing head first into oncoming traffic and driving school buses off ramps. A game in which all the core mechanics blended excellently; far better than it had any right to be.

Dead Island made me more tired of zombies than I am already which was impressive.

Gears 3 had a good campaign, if an infuriating one from a storytelling perspective. Horde mode really is a phenomenon though and I wish my internet was working to take advantage of it.

Arkham City was excellent, though again, lacked the surprise factor of its prequel. Catwoman's dialogue and all-round gameplay were shitty though and the game would have worked a lot better if it was solely Batman. Improved on its boss fights which makes the whole package great though.

Ratchet and Clank 4 manages to take everything fun about the series and replace it with the clusterfuck bullshit of New Super Mario Bros. Wii except the latter is still good with 1 player.

Not played a lot from November (though it was a ridiculously stacked month) but it's crazy that at this point in time (without having played Uncharted, Ass:Creed, Sonic Generations, Rayman and anything Wii-exclusive), my GOTY is probably Driver: San Francisco. From a sheer personal POV, I mean, Best Game with regards to technical achievement, mechanics, etc is probably Skyrim but D:SF is well worth a playthrough from anyone.

So, yeah, what have I missed? Not played many downloadable games but as far as I'm concerned, XBLA will never top Shadow Complex as long as it exists.

Last year Red Dead was such an easy choice. This time round LA Noire... not so much. I enjoyed it a lot at the time but it could have been something more.

I don't really sway too far from my usual FIFA, CoD, NBA2k... So LA Noire still probably wins but by default :lol:

Very much looking forward to Max Payne 3 next year!

Been a good year this time round, Skyrims the GOTY for me but honourable mentions to Batman AC and Portal 2.

Ive enjoyed a lot of games this year but those 3 are the stand outs I think, looking forward to getting back into Battlefield 3 once the skyrim addiction subsides and hopefully then Ill be able to pick up Halo, Assassins Creed and Dark Souls

Disappointment of the year goes to Dragon Age 2 closely followed by LA Noire

DA2 was a real downer having enjoyed the first so much, deviated from a great formula and it didn't work as well at all for me.

LA Noire is pretty much the same, amazing work gone into the facial mocap stuff which was all well and good but it was a fake sandbox that offered no freedom and the gameplay let the side down badly, I reckon it goes to show what will happen if you fuck your workforce over.

as if Ive not spoken about it enough Eurogamer was amazing, Id really encourage anyone who likes their games to go if they can.

Plenty to come next year Mass Effect 3 being the top of my list.

My actual GOTY is Skyrim, I've had way more fun on GOW3 but 'Rim gets the prize for it's unparalleled scale, ambition and longevity.

For the avoidance of doubt; LA Noire is the fucking Gash of the Year.

• 3 weeks later...

Got Driver SF on your recommendation, AH. Just been clarting about on it so far, trying to find places I know (like a sad twat). Seems canny so far though!

Getting this at Christmas. Really enjoyed the first 2, know its not going to be the same, but still quite looking forward to it. If its shit its all on you AH!

Like it so far, good fun. Although I seem to have become absolutely shit at losing the cops. Took up a fair bit of my time yesterday, but been on Batman and Borderlands (finally got that as well at Christmas) mostly today. Liking all of them so far.

You missed Star Wars: The Old Republic, not sure if you were looking at mainly console games though tbh. In terms of global interest and sales for PCs I would think SWTOR is up there as the new challenger to World of Warcraft's crown, certainly WoW's subs have declined by several million in the last 12 months whereas SWTOR has taken over 1 million subs in it's first week. Again, I guess it depends if you're a MMO nut.

Other than that Batman: Arkham City and Skyrim are probably the other main titles for PC, with Portal 2 bringing up the rear. On consoles I suspect FIFA12 has it's usual following, personally I didn't get that drawn in to it this time round, even with the new defending system it was still pretty much the same old game for me.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

Worth saying in here

Skyrim was your official Christmas number 1!

Best game I've played tbh, Done 60+ hours on it and havent even done the main quest or the civil war quest just done the theives guild and Dark Brotherhood and now doing the Companions quest. The side quests just keep sidetracking is from doing the main ones

LA Noire for me. A seminal moment in both gaming and detecting.

This.

Got it in the sales for £17 and it's brilliant - been really impressed with stuff from the Rockstar stable of late.

Only downside is that it was completed all too soon. Hopefully they'll build on it creating other games of the same genre - and different eras perhaps?

Should base one on The Sweeney in 70s London :lol:

Annoyingly that's now Read Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Ghostbusters & now LA Noire completed in recent weeks. Need to find something new, anyone got any recommendations? Not arsed with fantasy stuff prefer it more to be based on reality (present or past) and I'd prefer something more than just a point and shoot game. Think that's why I've like LA Noire & Red Dead Redemption so much - lots of diversity.

It's not likely Craig, rockstar hated working with team bondi throughout and now the studios shut down after revelations from staff about working conditions and the failure of the game relative to how much it cost.

Shame really, I liked LA Noire for the most part though the moat impressive stuff was the technicals for me it showed massive potential for future games. Hope rockstar made sure to get that tech before bondi collapsed.

Edited by Semimental

Trophyshy hated it btw, Craig :P But I agree with you, I thought it was very good once you realised it wasn't going to be 40s GTA. Felt like a big budget point and click adventure game made by the cast of Mad Men.

Craig, have you tried playing the Assassin's Creed games? The story and plot is canny ridiculous but there's plenty of things to do and it gets more in-depth and refined as the series goes on.