Guthrie

Kid Dynamite

No big loss. Sell him for a decent fee plus whatever else you can wring out of him because he's English, then get in a capable replacement which tbh, shouldn't hard to find.

Can't sell him. Contract finished

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd be happy to have Abeid and Vukic step in to fill the Guthrie void if we were looking at signing a new midfielder who would also slot into the first team.

Shame to lose Guthrie as he's a good squad player, but his reason for leaving is understandable. Genuinely wish him well wherever he ends up (hopefully Reading!).

Agreed.

Tweeted that he's leaving the club in the coming weeks.

Shame he's going though he has been mixed bag. Had some very good performances in the Championship and then again this season. Could go on to be a very handy player for another team establishing a spot in the first 11.

He's managed about fifteen decent performances for us in his time here (all either this season or in the championship) so I can't say I'm desperately disapointed to see him leave. He's certainly not worth anything more than a place on the bench so we aren't going be able to persuade him to stay and it's good to see a player being more concerned with trying to get a game than just being at a bigger club or picking up his wages.

I worry though that none of our other midfield backup (Gosling, Vukic, Abeid) is strong enough to come in and cover whenever any of the first team are out so I think we do need to strengthen.

Can't really blame him for wanting to play regular football and it's always going to be really hard to get in ahead of quality like Tiote + Cabaye. He'll be a loss as he's fantastic backup. He was on a low wage too. But best of luck to him wherever he ends up & hopefully we'll find some good squad players in the middle, as we'll need em now!

I dont get what Guthries thinking is. He wont get to play for a club as big as us ever again and being 3rd choice isnt bad.

Plus if we stick to the 4-3-3 next season, you could argue that he is actually in the first team, or at least worthy.

Stupid boy.

I dont get what Guthries thinking is. He wont get to play for a club as big as us ever again and being 3rd choice isnt bad.

Plus if we stick to the 4-3-3 next season, you could argue that he is actually in the first team, or at least worthy.

Stupid boy.

he wants first team football so really, being 3rd choice is useless to him

I've always rather liked Guthrie I must admit (doesn't hurt that I was at the Cottage this season!) so it's a shame to see him leave. Not bad as third choice but can never begrudge a player wanting first team football.

Not been greatly impressed any time I've seen Vuckic play so far.

He had that one game where he nearly scored a belter but hit the post. Apart from that he doesn't seem that great, he might be too slow for the prem.

he wants first team football so really, being 3rd choice is useless to him

well imagine how many games he will start next season if he stayed. Every league cup, early FA Cup and some Euro games. Plus like i said, you could argue in the 4-3-3 system, he could actually be a starter sitting alongside Tiote.

He's making a mistake.

well imagine how many games he will start next season if he stayed. Every league cup, early FA Cup and some Euro games. Plus like i said, you could argue in the 4-3-3 system, he could actually be a starter sitting alongside Tiote.

He's making a mistake.

hes not though is he, because our starting 3 in 433 is cabaye, jonas and tiote, all of whom are better than him

he wants regular games, a few cup ones and maybe a europa league game here and there is nothing

He'll play a lot more football and probably get paid a fair bit more at somewhere like Villa if they're signing him as a starter.

Plus, yeah we're doing very very well, but it's not like being a squad player at Man Utd or City where you know you'll pick up some medals along the way. More money, more football, unlikely to miss out on winning any/many trophies (I hope he does like).

Best decision for him, especially at his age where he's coming into his best years.

No problem at all him wanting away like. Fair play to him. Like you say Ant, I'd rather not have players hanging on just for money.

He wants first team football and we can't give him it as regular as he'd like. I'd liked him to stay as he's been a canny squad player at least (unlike Smith who is just shit).

Would be happy for him to stay, but honestly for his footballing development we would not be his best option.

Would be happy for him to stay, but honestly for his footballing development we would not be his best option.

I wouldn't imagine there would be much more improvement in him. The age he's at now one would think he's close to the finished product. He will get games here if he stays. League Cup, Europa League, the odd FA Cup game plus league games when others are injured or as a substitute. That's plenty of football. I don't think him staying would be counter productive in terms of his development. At least not drastically so.

FWIW, I hope he stays because he was really good for us this last season and from the players outside of the first choice XI he was our best player. Which might sound like a back handed compliment but well it kind of is really but he has to be realistic about where his career can go from here.

There aren't that many places he could go where his place in the starting lineup every week would be assured. I think the best thing for him would be to stay. Especially now that he's starting to establish himself as an important player within the squad.

• 3 weeks later...