Rugby

Kid Dynamite

48 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye. He didn’t recognise me like. But never mind. Just thinking but you were brought up in the borders weren’t you? That’s the traditional rugby heartland north of the border 

Yeah I played all the way through school (no formal football in PE at any Borders high school in the 80s) but almost always for B teams as I was frankly bone idle. I played with and against some serious lads though, quite a few Scotland u18s/U21s and a sprinkling of late 80s/early 90s full caps. Some of them are in the pic; Kelso RFC Scottish champions 1988(?) 6 Scottish internationals, two of of whom went to our village school, one of them was a British Lion (the skipper) there also four other lads from our village in the pic, including my old man’s best mates son. I came across the pic a few years back and realised how steeped I was in rugby as a teenager, how high the standard was and how much I did actually enjoy it. I knocked it on the head  when I left school to go and watch Pedro & Gazza every other week. I was asked to go back to the U18s by a club stalwart (this was also the man who first took me to St James Park) but declined. He didn’t speak to me for two decades after that :lol:

F5CBF82F-FE5B-4945-B0B5-43ACA127BD8E.jpeg

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2

On 08/10/2019 at 16:39, PaddockLad said:

All time rugger bugger great :good:

I see Ireland's last game my be hit by a 160 mph typhoon which will make qualification for the knock out stages very difficult indeed as the game will go down as a 0-0 draw. Scotland may benefit enormously from this. Oh dear how sad never mind :cuppa:

Well I got all that wrong didn't I?....

Not to mention the Japan v Scotland game being in doubt now to say the least.  They won't move it bacause they won't move the other two that have been called off. Those out there with UK media seem to think the game will go ahead on Sunday.  There's 170mph winds forecast for Saturday in Yokohama though. If that hit this country there'd be fuck all left of it 😳

4 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Scotland well beaten in the end by a better side. If Japan beat SA in the next round they play the winner of Wales v France in the semi final....

Scotland had a right go in the second half though. Never going to win by enough but a great effort

14 hours ago, Alex said:

Scotland had a right go in the second half though. Never going to win by enough but a great effort

Scotland needed to score four tries and win by 8 points. It was unlikely at the outset. Japan ranked higher and with twice as many registered players. If you want other excuses there's plenty more where they came from 👍

Edited by PaddockLad

How long has the Rugby World Cup been going on, by the way? I know it's only been a few weeks but it feels like it's been months for a sport where the number of competent teams is barely in double figures. :lol: 

I suppose it's understandable given the physical toll of each match, but if your sport needs that much space for its players to recover, maybe it's... not actually all that ideal as a sport? :dunno:

The thing about this England team for me is how few penalties they give away. Their standard of technical play at the breakdown is unreal. They’ve had brilliant packs in the past but they gave the opposition chances by being dirty bastards. All that’s gone. 

• Like 1

I gave up pretending last week but that was an outstanding England performance against an All Black side obviously exhausted from having to work so hard for that win over Ireland. 

You’re welcome, lads.

• Haha 2