The No. 10.

Park Life

He's a like for like replacement for Ba in that he's better playing off a target man in the hole. Shola and Best are quite samey so it's now or never for him now Ba's off to the ACN

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best will take Ba`s role, quote by pardew tonight. HBA not even mentioned in the ACN talks..

Bye.

I didn't hear that. I heard Pardew compliment the subs who came on, hence no mention of Ben Arfa.

And I'd expect Best to take Ba's place - he's a centre-forward after all. It's the fact that Best or Ameobi will play on their own that should mean Ben Arfa should play a lot more as opposed to competing with them for a start alongside Ba.

If Pardew wants the more direct route, he'll have Best and Ameobi. If he wants it a bit less direct, then it'll be Best/Ameobi and Ben Arfa. I have no problem with that as long as we get results.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

MT, didnt you see the journalist asking pardew about ACN and what that would mean to the team? Maybe I am reading too much into it but in my ears it sounded like Best was getting the nod. Nothing wrong with that but sounded like he mentioned the ones having to step up when the ACN boys were away on duty and HBA didnt even get a mention.

MT, didnt you see the journalist asking pardew about ACN and what that would mean to the team? Maybe I am reading too much into it but in my ears it sounded like Best was getting the nod. Nothing wrong with that but sounded like he mentioned the ones having to step up when the ACN boys were away on duty and HBA didnt even get a mention.

He talked about having played his strongest team tonight too. We might as well sell Steven Taylor now. :(

Ordinarily at this stage of the season and with this league placing it would be brave of Pardew to change the system enough to properly incorporate HBA's strengths. Having said that, the ACN does force the issue.

In theory we should be better off playing with an integrated HBA, but where to play him? I imagine a Beardsley type role could suit, either off Ba or at the front of midfield diamond, but are you going to move Cabaye for him? I'm just not sure where to put him and I wonder if his work ethic fits Rapey's vision. Certainly it does not on the wings.

I don't think Pardew is a huge risk taker, so Hatem has to prove he is low risk. I can only imagine he is not doing that in training or he'd be in.

Edited by trophyshy

Ordinarily at this stage of the season and with this league placing it would be brave of Pardew to change the system enough to properly incorporate HBA's strengths. Having said that, the ACN does force the issue.

In theory we should be better off playing with an integrated HBA, but where to play him? I imagine a Beardsley type role could suit, either off Ba or at the front of midfield diamond, but are you going to move Cabaye for him? I'm just not sure where to put him and I wonder if his work ethic fits Rapey's vision. Certainly it does not on the wings.

I don't think Pardew is a huge risk taker, so Hatem has to prove he is low risk. I can only imagine he is not doing that in training or he'd be in.

Think the true course is changing the side when the basic 442 isn't working or certain players aren't playing well (Obertan). It was refreshing to have someone out there who could lay on a few passes AND help out Wilson. Thought Santon did very well at left back fwiw.

Think the true course is changing the side when the basic 442 isn't working or certain players aren't playing well (Obertan). It was refreshing to have someone out there who could lay on a few passes AND help out Wilson. Thought Santon did very well at left back fwiw.

Yeah, I agree with that and that is where it may fall down. The question we all ask; is Pardew bright enough?

Santon was excellent, his forays were promising and responsible.

Edited by trophyshy

*Big-game atmosphere and the crowd was up for it, particularly in the second half as Manyoo were up against the rack.

*The team was flying tonight, with a 100% level of commitment.

Taking into account the big-game atmosphere, the opposition, and the coinciding level of commitment on show across the pitch they're pretty infectious ingredients for a positive/increased level of defensive application - in HBA's case. This is primarily directed against the argument (scoreline-based substitution) that at least Best provided some defensive presence/chasing back as Manyoo were chasing the game. He'll never be anywhere near text-book perfect in any situation for a contested ball, but a team performance like tonight can be infectious re: defensive effort for an otherwise pure ball playing/attacking weapon. As a counterattacking outlet, his late inclusion would've been a non-argument from me.

If anything, with him not sharing the moment on a great night given the amount of work he's put into coming back from the injury he had, it's probably further ostracized a player who was already issued a 'come & play me' plea in the press. That aforementioned plea to the press, with reference to the difference to the football playing philosophies that exist between Pards & himself, has solidified the current forwards' pecking order.

Edited by Dolly Potter MD

Can't understand why the subs bother people. Best was a like for like so it made sense. Perch came on to solidify things and help nullify any chance of a late comeback (something Man Utd are great at getting). Obertan was only on for a couple of minutes, are people really going to complain about that? I though if anything Obertan came on just to be part of a playing team that beat his previous club.

I don't think there's too much to read into regarding tonight concerning Ben Arfa. We did very well without him.

*Big-game atmosphere and the crowd was up for it, particularly in the second half as Manyoo were up against the rack.

*The team was flying tonight, with a 100% level of commitment.

Taking into account the big-game atmosphere, the opposition, and the coinciding level of commitment on show across the pitch they're pretty infectious ingredients for a positive/increased level of defensive application - in HBA's case. This is primarily directed against the argument (scoreline-based substitution) that at least Best provided some defensive presence/chasing back as Manyoo were chasing the game. He'll never be anywhere near text-book perfect in any situation for a contested ball, but a team performance like tonight can be infectious re: defensive effort for an otherwise pure ball playing/attacking weapon. As a counterattacking outlet, his late inclusion would've been a non-argument from me.

If anything, with him not sharing the moment on a great night given the amount of work he's put into coming back from the injury he had, it's probably further ostracized a player who was already issued a 'come & play me' plea in the press. That aforementioned plea to the press, with reference to the difference to the football playing philosophies that exist between Pards & himself, has solidified the current forwards' pecking order.

Word! At least give him the honor of being on the pitch in such a match ahead of a running chicken like Overtanned....Jesus wept, give the kid some honor or sell him. Is he really too advanced for Pardew to comprehend tactically!...

Can't understand why the subs bother people. Best was a like for like so it made sense. Perch came on to solidify things and help nullify any chance of a late comeback (something Man Utd are great at getting). Obertan was only on for a couple of minutes, are people really going to complain about that? I though if anything Obertan came on just to be part of a playing team that beat his previous club.

I don't think there's too much to read into regarding tonight concerning Ben Arfa. We did very well without him.

Because you have no empathy.

Or, I just explained in that very post why I couldn't understand why the subs bother people. To each their own though, not saying I'm right and they're wrong.

;)

Oh, come on, he's got soul.

Or, I just explained in that very post why I couldn't understand why the subs bother people. To each their own though, not saying I'm right and they're wrong.

;)

Still doesn't make up for the lack of empathy.

Is this alleged empathy MT's lacking toward these pampered millionaires?

what, come on, if the money bothered you, you would never support a premier league club. you'd stick to watching gateshead or something...

;)

Do you actually know what empathy is?

;)

Yes I do, but you dont.

;)

Yes I do, but you dont.

:lol:

Ok.

Put it this way, if the subs didn't make sense then I could understand the furore. I'm bothered by Ben Arfa's lack of game-time in general, less so tonight.

I'd call you a WUM but I'm in a great mood so I'll spare you the irritation.