The No. 10.

Park Life

The problem we have here and why there was a 1000 page thread on NO is that Pards plays percentage football with half an eye on prozone and the conjecture is that is the main reason Hatem will be frozen out.

That is the nub of the discussion which is of course informed by the fact that we are doing well in the league.

Edited by Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite why people keep bleating on about HBA I don't know. Clearly a talented player but just doesn't fit into our team / ethic. Our success has come from 442 and he is a liability (IMO) on the wing. We tried a different formation to accomodate him more and got raped by shit teams. The system we have works well and if that means enigmas like HBA have to miss out then so be it

Guest CabayeAye

Quite why people keep bleating on about HBA I don't know. Clearly a talented player but just doesn't fit into our team / ethic. Our success has come from 442 and he is a liability (IMO) on the wing. We tried a different formation to accomodate him more and got raped by shit teams. The system we have works well and if that means enigmas like HBA have to miss out then so be it

i still think there is a place for HBA in a plan-B type scenario for when our usual 4-4-2 has failed, and we need a spark from somewhere, something like this:

Obertan Cabaye Jonas

---------Ben Arfa

-------Ba-----Cisse

Whereby Ben Arfa is given a free role to try and take everyone on and score. Obviously he isn't going to do FIFA-esque runs and score everytime, but it only needs to come off one for us to get a goal!

Meh, a couple of bad games (wasn't as bad as people meck out like and having to play with the players around him he did against Blackburn) and people think he doesn't deserve to be in our team. Playing Ben Arfa on the right wing is better than playing that Roger the Alien freak any day of the week, but alas, he 'doesn't work hard enough' (no proof of this really as he seems to put in enough effort, just he's an attacking player as opposed to some sort of box to box grafter) so people will jizz themselves silly accepting lesser players into this role, especially since Pardew said Ben Arfa won't play wide right (didn't Ben Arfa come out saying he just wanted to play?). I guess it's just easy having a scapegoat for performances like the Blackburn game, and instead of looking at the genuinely shit players who play shit, people just have a go at the clearly good player who has an off game.

i still think there is a place for HBA in a plan-B type scenario for when our usual 4-4-2 has failed, and we need a spark from somewhere, something like this:

Obertan Cabaye Jonas

---------Ben Arfa

-------Ba-----Cisse

Whereby Ben Arfa is given a free role to try and take everyone on and score. Obviously he isn't going to do FIFA-esque runs and score everytime, but it only needs to come off one for us to get a goal!

If Plan B is to never gain possession of the ball then that looks a great formation.

Seriously, I want Ben Arfa in the team too but that is just silly.

Obertan Cabaye Jonas

---------Ben Arfa

-------Ba-----Cisse

You are kidding me, we'd be absolutely smoked in the middle because no one is out there trying to win the ball at all. Obertan, Cabaye, Ben Arfa are not ball winners. Jonas is a sort-of ball winner.

A better plan B is a 4-2-3-1 with Ba or Cisse as the lone striker, with Tiote and Cabaye as the holding midfielders with Jonas, Ben Arfa and Obertan right behind Ba/Cisse in the lone striker role.

Obertan Cabaye Jonas

---------Ben Arfa

-------Ba-----Cisse

That midfield man. Deano-tastic :lol:

Guest CabayeAye

Some utter cack being said here like! :lol:

We need a goal = play more defensive midfielders.

Have a word man! Cabaye is one of the best tacklers in the PL, Colo is a great ball playing defender. You are allowed to play the ball out of defence you know.

Have a think before you post.

Pardew said he wanted him in the "number ten" role but he's never been given a fair crack at it. That said I can't really knock Pardew, just look at our league position.

I can't see him dropping BA or Cisse, not that I want him to, the other formation that would suit him would be him playing behind the front 2 pulling the strings the downside to this is the midfield would be narrow with Tiote,Cabaye and either Guthrie,Jonas or Obertan in there.

Some utter cack being said here like! :lol:

We need a goal = play more defensive midfielders.

Have a word man! Cabaye is one of the best tacklers in the PL, Colo is a great ball playing defender. You are allowed to play the ball out of defence you know.

Have a think before you post.

Mate Ben Arfa could not be played at the tip of a diamond. Simple as that. We'd never get the ball. Cabaye might be good defensively but he can't mark two or sometimes even three players by himself. Tbh its embarrassing for those of us that want him in the side when shit like that gets hoyed up as the solution.

One things clear from reading the 1000's of posts on the lad on toon forums over the last 18 months is that the average fan doesnt have a fucking danny about what to do with him, how to play him and whether he should start.

The one thing that tells me is that Pardew faces a tricky situation and its churlish to criticise him for making decisions either way. Its a tough call and the better the team does, the tougher the call becomes.

One things clear from reading the 1000's of posts on the lad on toon forums over the last 18 months is that the average fan doesnt have a fucking danny about what to do with him, how to play him and whether he should start.

The one thing that tells me is that Pardew faces a tricky situation and its churlish to criticise him for making decisions either way. Its a tough call and the better the team does, the tougher the call becomes.

The fact that we now appear to have two quality strikers makes it tougher to find somewhere for him to play. Whatever is decided though the kid needs some consistent game time in that position if we're going to get the best out of him - on the right seems to make sense from the perspective of where we're most lacking, but if he's more suited to playing on the left then if Jonas is happy to switch sides that could work.

A large part of the reason why there is so much confusion is because he's played so little in such a variety of positions.

I'm about to do a deano but for me if cisse and ba are fit it's basically a 4-4-2 with HBA on the left Jonas moved to the right (players on their proper side madness i know ex santon) and tiote sitting just a little deeper behind cabaye(and as drastic as the below looks) same with Ba and Cisse.

-----------Krul

Simpson Coloccini ST/MW Santon

------------Tiote

Cabaye

Jonas BenArfa

Ba

If one of the two proper strikers are injured then with simpson and santon playing as wingbacks and tiote not going forward at all, with the defensive line nowhere near as high as we play it now

-----------Krul

Coloccini-OtherCb

Simpson Santon

------------Tiote

Cabaye

H.Wrker Jonas

HBA

Cisse/Ba

edit > stupid formatting *does a picture*

That hurts my eyes. Deano would be proud.

In all seriousness though your right there is no reason to keep Jonas on the left when he's right footed.Its not like he cuts inside and scores alot of goals like your typical wrong footed winger (Ribery, Robben, etc.). Also, there is no reason why Ben Arfa couldn't be played on the left. So why not swap Jonas out to the right and give Ben Arfa a go on the left. Cabaye and Tiote could cope in midfield especially with Ba dropping off to work in defence the way he does.

Of course the other option of playing a 4-3-3 is completely out of the question, at least from Pardew's perspective, so its not worth talking about.

I don't know what people are seeing when they say that Ben Arfa is crap or doesn't deserve a place in the side, etc. For me, he is a match winner and match winners have to play.

Its pretty simple from my perspective. The aim should be to have all of our best players on the pitch at the same time. If that means changing the formation so be it.