The No. 10.

Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the opinions of French people who watch Ligue Un saying that HBA will always be the same player: a genius in one game, then shite in the next. Chez said that the way he was treated and spoken of in France affected him, and that being away from those attitudes--and Pardew's excellent man management--has allowed him to flourish as a player. But in reality, he still is that guy: brilliant in one game, ineffective in the next. I sincerely hope Marveaux can maintain his fitness, as then we will have a player who can genuinely come in and contribute when HBA is fluffing his lines, instead of Gabriel Obertan.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

It's no coincidence he and others haven't looked as good when we've went back to 4-4-2. It simply doesn't suit our personnel.

I agree with the two posts above.

The only player that benefits from 4-4-2 is Ba, everyone else is better suited to a 4-2-3-1. Hatem would be great with a free role behind the striker and has been great as a winger next to Cisse.

It's no coincidence he and others haven't looked as good when we've went back to 4-4-2. It simply doesn't suit our personnel.

Which other personnel? Considering we've just finished the season in 5th and we've gone with this 4-3-3 around 2 months at the end.

Which other personnel? Considering we've just finished the season in 5th and we've gone with this 4-3-3 around 2 months at the end.

Manager of the year's fault, some people on the internet said so :D :D

Edited by Toonpack

442 works when Ben Arfa isnt in the team, but when he is i think i totally disrupts the rest of the team. People have to track back for him, leaving other gaps open and more space for the opposition.

In the Wigan/Everton/Tottenham/Fulham games did we play 442 with Ben Arfa on the right? It wouldnt surprise me if we did.

I think Jonny was referring more to the likes of Ben Arfa than the team as a whole tbh.

He's just being contrary as always. We played our best football of the season using 433 and I think it's the way forward for this group of players.

I think Jonny was referring more to the likes of Ben Arfa than the team as a whole tbh.

He said Ben Arfa and others haven't looked as good in a 4-4-2 and that it doesn't suit our personnel.

So if he just meant Ben Arfa then why not say that rather than trying to exaggerate the problem?

i can't understand why we haven't reverted to 4-3-3 like. 4-4-2 worked against cheslea, but i think we've played our best football using the 4-3-3. The only player that doesn't seem to enjoy it as much is Ba. But it's worth going with it simply because Ben Arfa is a different player when he has fewer defensive duties that come when he's stuck out wide in a 442. He can turn a game and win matches on his own when he's further up he pitch and not having to worry about tracking back all the time.

i can't understand why we haven't reverted to 4-3-3 like. 4-4-2 worked against cheslea, but i think we've played our best football using the 4-3-3. The only player that doesn't seem to enjoy it as much is Ba. But it's worth going with it simply because Ben Arfa is a different player when he has fewer defensive duties that come when he's stuck out wide in a 442. He can turn a game and win matches on his own when he's further up he pitch and not having to worry about tracking back all the time.

Pardew has said the coaches get together with the video analysts and work out the best way of approaching teams from there, what their weaknesses are and the best way to set up etc.

He's not simply a motivator that sends his teams out to play 4-3-3 every game and as you say in games like Chelsea we've benefited from that, it just fails spectacularly sometimes.

He said Ben Arfa and others haven't looked as good in a 4-4-2 and that it doesn't suit our personnel.

So if he just meant Ben Arfa then why not say that rather than trying to exaggerate the problem?

Ba is really the only one that hasn't looked as good in the 4-3-3. We've saw notable improvements from Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Jonas in the formation. Cisse has also looked better than when we play 4-4-2 as he gets more service.

Do you not think we play better football and look a better team in the 4-3-3?

Ba is really the only one that hasn't looked as good in the 4-3-3. We've saw notable improvements from Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Jonas in the formation. Cisse has also looked better than when we play 4-4-2 as he gets more service.

Do you not think we play better football and look a better team in the 4-3-3?

Really don't think Ba is mobile enough for the 433.

• 4 weeks later...

Some disquieting comments here

The midfielder - set to feature for France against England on Monday - hit top form for the Magpies last season after suffering a double fracture of his leg in October 2010.

Alan Pardew signed him permanently from Marseille, despite his injury setback, and the 25-year-old has hinted he wants to repay the manager's faith.

"I've never felt as settled at a club as I do at Newcastle. I feel like I'm somebody important there, it's a magnificent feeling," Ben Arfa told L'Equipe.

"I haven't forgotten the coach made me sign, even though I was only on loan from Marseille and I was injured.

"If I do not have a really, really serious proposal, I'll stay. If a big club comes, but does not propose something interesting - that is to say, the coach really wants me - I'll stay.

"If I do not feel the confidence of the [interested club's] coach 100 per cent, I will not leave. Newcastle is a big club, even if there are bigger. I still have a three-year contract."

its not perfect but the club itself has an "everyone is for sale at the right price" policy that we live with

why should the player not have a similar one themselves? that doesnt read to me like hes begging someone to come and sign him, its him saying if a top club come and offer me a fortune I'll go, which Id expect from all our players and pretty much all players outside the very top clubs