The No. 10.

Park Life

Aye because he's not scared of it. He also wouldn't tried to run with the ball when we were on the break and been unable to control it with it at his feet!

Squidward nearly fucked up the pass as it was. Anita had to make it into a decent pass.

It was a fine pass with the outside of his foot. My point was that Hatem would have turned inside and twatted it with his right foot because his decision making has been absolutely turboshit this season. Too often the ball is just taken off his toe or he runs into corners for the benefit of absolutely nobody or balloons it 20 feet over the bar from 30 yards out. Some of it isn't helped by our statue-esque movement in front of him, I'll admit but he needs to learn that he's not this irreplaceable footballing hero. As Parky says, for me, if he's playing well, he's in every week but he hasn't played well since Villa away and other players have. Pardew has got him playing once before by dropping him and kicking him up the arse and obviously thinks it's going to work again so fair enough.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think perceptions have changed a bit mainly due to Goofy running around a lot and getting back...Now he's added the odd goal he's seen as a viable alternative on the right...IMO he's earnt that...But it's woefully short sighted to start questioning Hatems role in the team just cause he's lost a bit of form. He'll be back and that will add to the strength of the unit as a whole with viable alternatives depending on match situations. The beauty of football is that the zero sum game changes week to week, moment to moment...There will be some games where Goofy might actually be a better alternative, especially away from home...But on the whole Hatem for me starts every match as long as it's as the R/AM/Forward Midfielder.

The reaction towards Ben Arfa are unsurprising given that it's the same reaction you get towards us in general after a bad or good spell. If we lose a couple of games we're going to be relegated and if we win a couple we're in with a chance for Europe. The reality of course is different. We are an inconsistent team that has a lot of inconsisent players (obviously, that's why the teams inconsistent). Barring another massive injury crisis we will most likely continue in this vein for the season and finish mid table. There will be highs (last Saturday for the team and Fulham/Villa for Ben Arfa) and lows (the derby for both the team and HBA) but it won't stay either way all season.

It was a fine pass with the outside of his foot. My point was that Hatem would have turned inside and twatted it with his right foot because his decision making has been absolutely turboshit this season. Too often the ball is just taken off his toe or he runs into corners for the benefit of absolutely nobody or balloons it 20 feet over the bar from 30 yards out. Some of it isn't helped by our statue-esque movement in front of him, I'll admit but he needs to learn that he's not this irreplaceable footballing hero. As Parky says, for me, if he's playing well, he's in every week but he hasn't played well since Villa away and other players have. Pardew has got him playing once before by dropping him and kicking him up the arse and obviously thinks it's going to work again so fair enough.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying (just don't try and bring Obertan into the argument because he's not fit to lace my boots let alone Ben Arfa's). I disagree that his dicision making has been shit all season, he was playing very well up until he got praised to the hilt. Since then he's been wank, no arguments at all there. But that's been for about four games (two of which he was played as a striker which isn't his position) so people need to not go so far overboard (just as they shouldn't have when he started the season well). Pardew has took him out of the team and I think that was the right move (I've already said that I don't think he should start on Sunday too). Hopefully that will give him a kick up the arse and we can get it into his head to play more simply so that when he isn't managing the spectacular he's contributing to the team in other ways.

Turns 27 in March, so this is it basically, his big year. Realistically might be his last chance of going to a World cup, and his contracts up in 18 months, great opportunity for him to get move to a big Champions League club this summer. Really needs to be showing his undoubted talent more consistently now, and if it doesn't happen for him this year, it probably never will.

Love watching him but whereas a couple of years back I'd have expected huge success if he'd have gone to an Arsenal or a Tottenham, now I'm not so sure.

Although it pains me, that Ferguson quote is spot on and kind of sums Ben Arfa up for me. The lad is obviously blessed with talent, but you need more than that. I'm not asking him to stifle his game and become a chaser and grafter by the way. Le Tissier is a perfect example, a fantastically talented footballer but a lazy twat with no self motivation. People look back far too favorable on him as someone who was robbed of England caps but the fact is he was mostly unfit and half arsed. Had he pulled his finger out and sorted his all round game out, he could have been so much more. As such, he was always the nearly man. There are lots of examples all over the place. I don't want Ben Arfa to be another nearly man.

Saying that, if he did suddenly do it week in week out we'd only flog him anyway...

Edited by sweetleftpeg

To be honest, I think we're the biggest club he'll play for going forward. He won't move to a Champions League club while there are still doubts over his injury, fitness and consistency. He's clearly, clearly impossibly gifted, but at 27 I don't see someone looking to buy him. This could work against us (and him) because if we're the zenith, what's the point in trying any harder?

So he's inconsistent and flawed; he's still the player who's most likely to change a 0-0 to a 1-0 with one swing of his boot than anyone else in the squad. It's not a case of lets drop him because he's not performing well, it's a questions of "What system can we employ that gets the best from him, and everyone else?"

To be honest, simply having a striker who isn't shinning every pass, cross or through-ball into the stands would help significantly. Demba Ba would be a mouth-watering prospect ahead of Remy and Ben Arfa. A bullying centre forward who is content doing a lot of work as long as he gets his opportunities through the game.

Its refreshing to see a lot of common sense starting to come through regarding Ben Arfa.

The bottom line is hes not a team player. A very talented individual but not a team player. Usually if hes had a good game its because he's had a good game and scored a goal.

You dont come away thinking " wow he put three on a plate for such and such". Maybe someone like Ferguson may have been able to harness that talent but if the penny hasnt dropped at 27 its doubtful it ever will.

Its refreshing to see a lot of common sense starting to come through regarding Ben Arfa.

The bottom line is hes not a team player. A very talented individual but not a team player. Usually if hes had a good game its because he's had a good game and scored a goal.

You dont come away thinking " wow he put three on a plate for such and such". Maybe someone like Ferguson may have been able to harness that talent but if the penny hasnt dropped at 27 its doubtful it ever will.

Ok, do not mistake people saying that Ben Arfa would be even better if he was consistent, with any suggestion that Ferguson would add more to the team. That way insanity lurks.

He may be more to your taste, a "classic old fashioned winger", keeps chalk on his boots, head down, run to the byline, lob in a cross... but he's in now way going to add to our team.

Ok, do not mistake people saying that Ben Arfa would be even better if he was consistent, with any suggestion that Ferguson would add more to the team. That way insanity lurks.

He may be more to your taste, a "classic old fashioned winger", keeps chalk on his boots, head down, run to the byline, lob in a cross... but he's in now way going to add to our team.

:lol:

Was out of the side because he's been out of form, nothin suspicious or tellig from that. In the past stints out have helped to bring some of the best performances out of him. Anyone wishing for anything else for whatever ulterior motive is plainly a cunt.

Be interesting to see if he starts tomorrow. After Hull he persisted with him at Everton, then dropped him for Cardiff. Started him for Liverpool and Sunderland, dropped him for Chelsea. Tricky decision for a match away at Spurs.

Who wasn't seeing sense?

Plus the obvious point scoring & one oneupmanship regarding one of our own players is incredibly sad, much sadder than a fan boy getting carried away. To suggest he isnt a team player is a bit silly - given he's got most of our assists & but for poor finishing would've had more.

Some of his best play is team play & to anyone that actually watches him that's fairly obvious - he has a couple of pot shots & trys to beat a man - sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt work - like anything anybody else trys & if he doesn't have a stormer people get far too carried away than they would if it was any other player.

There's been plenty times Ben Arfa has put chances on a plate only for the happless fella on the receiving end missing a sitter.

Again though - whilst people perhaps ''didn't see sense'' regarding Ben Arfa's value - you seem to be happy to go in the other direction. (Like you did with Debuchy,Santon,Sissoko etc)

Anytime though you're welcome to climb off you're mighty high horse & share some football knowledge with the poor lads who didn't ''see sense'' ;)

Be interesting to see if he starts tomorrow. After Hull he persisted with him at Everton, then dropped him for Cardiff. Started him for Liverpool and Sunderland, dropped him for Chelsea. Tricky decision for a match away at Spurs.

He's playing a system over playing his star players - which is brave management & I'm supportive of it.

He's tried to fit him in & most of his poor performances have been out of position, 2 as a false 9 & one on the left wing. He'll probably get a run out in the second half because I imagine Spurs are going to be hard to break down.

He's playing a system over playing his star players - which is brave management & I'm supportive of it.

He's tried to fit him in & most of his poor performances have been out of position, 2 as a false 9 & one on the left wing. He'll probably get a run out in the second half because I imagine Spurs are going to be hard to break down.

That's the perfect reading of the Hatem scenario.

Who wasn't seeing sense?

Plus the obvious point scoring & one oneupmanship regarding one of our own players is incredibly sad, much sadder than a fan boy getting carried away. To suggest he isnt a team player is a bit silly - given he's got most of our assists & but for poor finishing would've had more.

Some of his best play is team play & to anyone that actually watches him that's fairly obvious - he has a couple of pot shots & trys to beat a man - sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt work - like anything anybody else trys & if he doesn't have a stormer people get far too carried away than they would if it was any other player.

There's been plenty times Ben Arfa has put chances on a plate only for the happless fella on the receiving end missing a sitter.

Again though - whilst people perhaps ''didn't see sense'' regarding Ben Arfa's value - you seem to be happy to go in the other direction. (Like you did with Debuchy,Santon,Sissoko etc)

Anytime though you're welcome to climb off you're mighty high horse & share some football knowledge with the poor lads who didn't ''see sense'' ;)

It's fairy simple, certain people, including yourself, put him, Santon, Debuchy (until last two games) on pedestals they don't deserve.

You won't hear of any criticism and instead look down on people and tell them "they just can't see it".

As for Ben Arfa your welcome to your opinion but for me he's certainly not a team player and the various comments put forward by Happy Face and others yesterday sum him up very well.

If you want to point out any comment I've made regarding any of the players mentioned that you feel to be disproportionate in it's praise feel free. In addition point out where I've used the defence ''they just can't see it''

If not, shut up.

As much as I would love us to persevere with Cisse to get him back on track, I think our best team at the minute is

Krul

Debuchy Mbwia Williamson Santon

Cabaye Tiote Anita

Sisokko Remy Goufran

Obv the back four depends on who is fit etc and Sisokko needs to keep up his slight upturn in form, but Anita and Goufran deserve to start for me.

Sissoko was awesome against Chelsea tbh.

Sums up his career here to be honest.

If the manager genuinely believes the team is more balanced without Ben Arfa in it then fair enough. I have little doubt though that we'll need him to get us out of some sticky situations again before too long.