The No. 10.

Park Life

Our movement off the ball last season and for a lot of this one too has been terrible. Like you said, he's often been just handed the ball with not many options but to go for it himself.

Now that our midfield seems to be gelling a bit better and with Tiote and Cabaye looking somewhere close to their best, it will be interesting to see how that affects Ben Arfa's game. Not to mention that added width and pace Remy and Gouffran have provided.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes think other players use him as a 'get out of jail' card as well by giving him the ball and standing back to let him do something himself, although to be fair, if they do make runs into space they don't always get the pass when they should so basically, err, where was I? :lol:

Aye, we've thought that. That when he plays some of our players (whether consciously or subconsciously) give him the ball and then sort of back off him/fail to join in the play. I have been critical of him, but only because I get frustrated at those who refuse to criticise him in the slightest. I still think the lad is quality, but both he and the management need to find a way to bring that quality to the forefront in a consistent manner. It's almost like they stick him out there and say 'you just do your own thing' rather than actually thinking about the system. Neither beneficial to him nor the team.

Like I said, been critical of the lad, but it would give me no greater pleasure than to watch him rip teams a new arsehole every week and scream in goal after goal. Get some of the factors around him and the team right and this is still very possible.

Correct. We should build a system to suit him.

I can't say I agree with with this. As much as I like the lad, he can be equally shite as he is genius. So we build a team around his own inconsistencies? He needs to learn to adapt to team work and his own consistency before we build a team around him. Its almost each time he plays, he expects to score goals as he did against Blackburn and Bolton. In an ideal world, I'd love to see him do that but in a realistic world, I'd rather see him make an obvious pass and track back better, along with his dribbling ability and goals. I want nothing more then to see him improve with us as he has something that is magical when he is in the mood.

I think his inconsistencies ware laid bare by the more robust system that Pardew employs. He wouldn't seem inconsistent if he were playing in the Arsenal side, nor the Spurs.

Some sense creepiing back into this thread at last. Also, he gets moved around a lot - up front, on the left, running around at the back (he can't tackle for toffee)...Tell him to play his game and let his start amc/amc/right...Let him get on with it...

I can't say I agree with with this. As much as I like the lad, he can be equally shite as he is genius. So we build a team around his own inconsistencies? He needs to learn to adapt to team work and his own consistency before we build a team around him. Its almost each time he plays, he expects to score goals as he did against Blackburn and Bolton. In an ideal world, I'd love to see him do that but in a realistic world, I'd rather see him make an obvious pass and track back better, along with his dribbling ability and goals. I want nothing more then to see him improve with us as he has something that is magical when he is in the mood.

He should be just off the front man IMO. Give him the license to roam and fewer defensive responsibilities with ball winners behind him so he doesn't need to worry about helping out his full back, something he's shite at.

He's by far our most creative and dangerous attacking talent. If I were Pardew I'd just say get the ball down and play son.

He should be just off the front man IMO. Give him the license to roam and fewer defensive responsibilities with ball winners behind him so he doesn't need to worry about helping out his full back, something he's shite at.

He's by far our most creative and dangerous attacking talent. If I were Pardew I'd just say get the ball down and play son.

It's partly to do with Goofy running around a lot...People have quickly convinced themselves that 'this is what it's all about'.

Edited by Park Life

Yup, I've always said to play him as a second striker wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. But has been mentioned, Pardew has a system he sticks with and HBA doesn't currently fit into it. He either needs to adapt to it or Pardew needs to change the system.

A criticism I do have of his game is that he's not great at finding space for himself off the ball. He doesn't really ghost into positions and lose markers. Again though, a system which splits defenders all over the place giving him that space isn't a million miles away when you consider some of the pace we have up top in Remy and Gouffran. The two could almost act as decoys for him at times.

See, I'm not always on the lads back, I recognise his talent and if there is a way of using it then I'm all for it. But current system, na.

Far too many excuses made on behalf of Ben Arfa. The player simply doesn't have the football brain to match his undoubted skill.

Ridiculous to contemplate building a team around such an inconsistent player who has had plenty of opportunities to "be great" at Newcastle.

His decision making so often seems very poor and it's the simple ball or team play where he falls down.

At his age I think its unlikely he is going to change his game so I think it will be more of the same until he moves on.

Defender Mike Williamson has attributed Newcastle's recent form to manager Alan Pardew finding "the right balance".

The Magpies beat Chelsea and Tottenham before the international break and are now ninth in the Premier League table.

Hatem Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse started both games on the bench as Pardew went with Yoan Gouffran and Shola Ameobi.

Did you know?

Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi

With 134 appearances from the bench, Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi is the Premier League's most used substitute.

In the Magpies' 14 matches this term, they have kept six clean sheets and Ameobi started in five of those games.

"The gaffer's been searching for a mix that would give us some consistency in performance and now the team is working really well together," said Williamson.

"Keeping clean sheets against Chelsea and Spurs shows he has found the right balance to keep it tight.

"It's a great platform because we know with the quality we have in attack, we'll score goals."

Williamson has made 108 appearances since joining the club from Portsmouth in January 2010.

Eight of those have come this term and his recent performances led Pardew to give special mention to the centre-half's role in the side.

But the 30-year-old reserved his own praise for the contribution of Nigeria striker Ameobi, whose national side secured World Cup qualification last weekend.

"Defenders pride themselves on clean sheets, but it's been a huge team effort with us defending from the front," Williamson told BBC Newcastle.

"Shola is so important for us and has been vital since coming into the team. He's a great character to have around the training ground and I think the lads would agree he deserves any reward he gets."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25000779

It's partly to do with Goofy running around a lot...People have quickly convinced themselves that 'this is what it's all about'.

Probably because they watch a lot of teams like Dortmund, Bayern and Barcelona. Which of their players is not disciplined when not in possession of the ball? Is there room for a passenger in a modern football team?

I love Benny but if he is 'off his game' he has to remain disciplined and play for the team.

Probably because they watch a lot of teams like Dortmund, Bayern and Barcelona. Which of their players is not disciplined when not in possession of the ball? Is there room for a passenger in a modern football team?

I love Benny but if he is 'off his game' he has to remain disciplined and play for the team.

Depends how sexy the passenger is innit?

Villa partly through inj and partly through his neglect with regard to working too hard never made it at Barca...But nobody can tell me he wasn't good enough. I take your point however about percentage football....

Pardew said "Hatem wants to play and obviously he wants to get into the France team for the World Cup, as all our French players do.

"They have all got a great chance now because, of course, the French manager will now look at the group around. He knows the players he has got and he is looking for those players who can give him an extra dimension.

"I think Hatem will be in that category, but he needs to get into the first team here, and he has trained very well this week.

"We have got two games coming up that you would like to think might suit him."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-transfer-news-alan-pardew-hopes-to-attract-new-players-with-good-results-8957310.html