The No. 10.

Park Life

He hasn't really taken his chance in this run of games as I hoped he would. For all his talent I wonder if it's going to work out for him here. Pardew is obsessed with two big lads up front, we look shite in a 433 and he doesn't fancy him on the wing in a 442

I think with Cabaye playing and the 3 lads back from the ACN and he'd be a lot more effective though, in either formation.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something not right about blaming everyone else in the team for lack of movement when trying to justify poor performances. I know what people are saying, and I hope it'll make a difference when we get some proper strikers back, but it doesn't tell the full story to blame all the people around him - it's usually the last resort when you've got a talented player that people really want to see succeed.

He's given the ball away a lot (movement or not, that's his fault), he's looked at times like he wasn't too interested, and his concentration seems poor - all of that is his responsibility, nobody else's.

I think either Cabaye or Tiote on their own could have changed the face of that game. We needed some compusure, to hold it up & keep posession but we didn't care for it & relied on booting it up only to lose the ball.

I don't think many teams would get it spot on with half of their midfield away.

You could argue most of his starts have come in weakened teams. I want him to fulfill his potential with us. Just not sure it's going to happen for him here. Not having the manager's confidence is a big issue going against him.

Edited by Dr Gloom

There's something not right about blaming everyone else in the team for lack of movement when trying to justify poor performances. I know what people are saying, and I hope it'll make a difference when we get some proper strikers back, but it doesn't tell the full story to blame all the people around him - it's usually the last resort when you've got a talented player that people really want to see succeed.

He's given the ball away a lot (movement or not, that's his fault), he's looked at times like he wasn't too interested, and his concentration seems poor - all of that is his responsibility, nobody else's.

Spot on Mikey

I think either Cabaye or Tiote on their own could have changed the face of that game. We needed some compusure, to hold it up & keep posession but we didn't care for it & relied on booting it up only to lose the ball.

I don't think many teams would get it spot on with half of their midfield away.

Good post. Having the 2 Dembas back will help but we couldn't retain ANY possession in the midfield area and were just over run,

Shame Cabaye got the suspension.

I agree he's been poor like. Not sure where he fits in atm either. Agree with the bit in bold as well. The reason people make excuses is because he's obviously so talented and, utilised correctly, he could be a massively important player for us.

Guarantee if you put Messi in the teams that we've been fielding of late he wouldn't look half the player he does at Barca. I'm not saying that Ben Arfa is as good, or even anywhere near as good, more so that he's the type of player that need to have a good understanding with those players around him, or else it's too easy for the opposing team to double up on him and keep the pressure on all game. When that gets tried with Messi there's so many other players who are more than willing to exploit the resulting extra space. Part of why Messi was relatively ineffectual for Argentina.

People absolutely need to give Ben Arfa a proper chance to settle, otherwise what's the point of bringing a player like that to the club? It's a known that he'll take some time to gel. As we've seen he'll still produce the odd bit of magic in the meantime. I think we'll see the best of him in games where the opposition are more focused on their own attack that their defense.

Would like to settle on what position he will play best for us in....

There are less talented players around him having better games than him, man. I don't want him to be Messi every game (I know that's not what you were saying), I just want to see him do the basics right for 90 minutes. I suspect Pardew feels the same.

Edited by Gemmill

There are less talented players around him having better games than him, man. I don't want him to be Messi every game (I know that's not what you were saying), I just want to see him do the basics right for 90 minutes. I suspect Pardew feels the same.

Ben Arfa should try to be as good as Perch.

I think he'll be off in the summer if this 4-3-3 doesn't work with Ba and Cisse.

We just can't accommodate him and I'm convinced he's made it clear he doesn't want to play on the right wing in a 4-4-2.

The catch 22 is that Barfa isn't at his best on the wing in a 442. However, as the last 3 games have shown, Newcastle don't play well in a 433. Leaving him in either a CM role, which is unlikely, or as a 2nd striker. And atm there are 2 others are ahead of him in that role also

Why are you convinced he's said that? You'd think he'd be champing at the bit for a start in the side in any position. I suspect it's more a case of the manager not trusting him to do the defensive side needed in that role.

Bit unfair to single him out as under-performing when our midfield and strikers have all been out of sorts in recent games.

He's still got to get used to the premiership way of playing. He's one of the most naturally-talented footballers the club have had in my time following (since I was 4, Leazes & Stevie) so there's no reason he can't be an important player for us still.

Unfortunately people seem to enjoy jumping on his back because he's not in a good run of form. He's had a career-threatening injury both physically and psychologically so he needs time. It'll be interesting to see if he's played in the same team as the Dembas who offer much more in terms of the two donkeys we're currently playing up front.

He did, undoubtedly have a shit game. Turned the ball over too easily. I saw him on a few occassions running hard to get back to defend so that was at least a good sign. The Aston Villa game should give him a better chance to perform, and no doubt after a poor showing and early shower he'll be keen.

I can't work out why he hasn't been tried on the left yet. Or at least given a go on the left for a period during a match when he isn't getting any joy on the right.

Why are you convinced he's said that? You'd think he'd be champing at the bit for a start in the side in any position. I suspect it's more a case of the manager not trusting him to do the defensive side needed in that role.

Certain comments from Pardew make me think this is the case even if he is too experienced with the media to come out and say it.

“Before I arrived, there were suggestions that he had played wide and didn’t want to play there. But Hatem has to understand that it’s about the team, and where we think he fits in best is where we are going to put him. But his talent was there for everybody to see today.”

This isn't the first time he's hinted that Ben Arfa has no interested in playing out wide, I can remember a few more comments over the past 12 months that I posted on N-O but can't see them now as I'm banned, then you throw in the fact that it wasn't just Obertan that he played wide right ahead of him but Ryan Taylor and Sammi Ameobi too and it just all adds up for me.

His best role would be in a 4-4-1-1 behind the striker but can't see that happening with both Dembas fit or in a 4-3-1-2 behind the Dembas, which would be a creative looking side but would also leave the fullbacks pretty exposed and that's not Pardews style.

If Pardew's wants him to play on the right, he'll play on the right though. Or else he wouldn't be getting a game at all.

He wasn't getting a game though until recently while we were bringing Sammi Ameobi on ahead of him to play out there, we've also experimented with 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3 to try and accommodate him.

His best role would be in a 4-4-1-1 behind the striker but can't see that happening with both Dembas fit or in a 4-3-1-2 behind the Dembas, which would be a creative looking side but would also leave the fullbacks pretty exposed and that's not Pardews style.

When he has played off the striker he doesn't hold his position at all, we were left with him dropping deep in our half and an isolated front man up top on his own.

When he has played off the striker he doesn't hold his position at all, we were left with him dropping deep in our half and an isolated front man up top on his own.

That's his role, to make things happen. Drop deep, pick the ball up and bring others into play. If he can't do that, can't play out wide in a 4-4-2 then I guess he's a bit fucked

To make things happen, other players need to be able to read him. You can't blame him for getting frustrated or not playing well when the two people in front of him are Best/Ameobi, and our game is to hoof it up to them and see who can get on the knock downs. In my view, we will see a different and more productive player in Ben Arfa when the Demba's are back.