The No. 10.

Park Life

To make things happen, other players need to be able to read him. You can't blame him for getting frustrated or not playing well when the two people in front of him are Best/Ameobi, and our game is to hoof it up to them and see who can get on the knock downs. In my view, we will see a different and more productive player in Ben Arfa when the Demba's are back.

Which will hopefully be Sunday, Ameobi and Best have done absolutely nothing to stake a claim to be picked ahead of Dembas

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just need to be patient with him. He's come back from a career threatening injury, missed what was supposed to be his first full pre-season with us, as well as the fact he needs to adapt to the Premier League.

A player of his talents deserves some patience.

We just need to be patient with him. He's come back from a career threatening injury, missed what was supposed to be his first full pre-season with us, as well as the fact he needs to adapt to the Premier League.

Yup and I feel safe saying that a couple of games with the first team and we'll see a much happier, much more productive Hatem Ben Arfa.

Not to get all Deano, but I'd be happy with the following for the rest of the season:

Krul

Simpson Willo Colo Santon

HBA Tiote Cabaye Jonas

Ba Cisse

To keep things properly in perspective in his last 300 minutes of premier league football he has scored twice and got two assists.

He's judged differently because so much more is expected of him.

Spot fucking on.

All that needs to be said is your post and OTF's.

To keep things properly in perspective in his last 300 minutes of premier league football he has scored twice and got two assists.

He's judged differently because so much more is expected of him.

You do him a disservice. 2 goals and 2 assists in 287 minutes :)

Better players are judged differently. which is only right, they need to live up to their ability.

We've seen what he can do and we're hungry for more. On the other hand Obertan has shown all the ability of a toddler in the special school, so when he scores a goal 99% of other players could you have to pat him on the head and give him a rusk.

Guest CabayeAye

I can't work out why he hasn't been tried on the left yet. Or at least given a go on the left for a period during a match when he isn't getting any joy on the right.

Because Jonas plays there and Jonas is a good player.

I can't work out why he hasn't been tried on the left yet. Or at least given a go on the left for a period during a match when he isn't getting any joy on the right.

Because Jonas plays there and Jonas is a good player.

He's also right-footed so I don't see why they couldn't swap for periods during a match. And Jonas played through the middle against Brighton and Best played on the left. Would've made far more sense to have either Ben Arfa or Best in the Middle in that match. Ben Arfa on the left instead of Best would've made more sense. Also, when we had our poor run before the Man Utd game, Jonas was fucking shite for a few games. At least as bad as Squidward was although he obviously got less stick. I'd actually have been in favour of leaving him out for at least one match at that point. Mainly because I think his dip in form was (in part at least) due to his being knackered. He plays every game when fit and puts in that much graft that it's bound to catch up with him from time to time.

Alan Pardew: Ben Arfa has to fight for a place

ALAN PARDEW has told Hatem Ben Arfa he has to “fight” to win his place back in the Newcastle starting XI.

The United manager has thrown the gauntlet once again to Ben Arfa after the player was dropped for the 2-1 win over Aston Villa.

Instead, Pardew went with James Perch in midfield as he tries to hammer home the point of a hard-working ethic to the French ace.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “Hatem still hasn’t quite grasped, in my opinion, this Premier League. He’s got unbelievable talent, but he’s not used to it.

“He’s got to fight now to get in this team.”

Ben Arfa cut a disappointed figure on the bench after finding himself an unused substitute against the second-city side.

The player went public on his frustrations in January during an in-depth interview with the Chronicle, but since then has sparkled – and then faded – in the first team.

He scored a wonderful solo strike against Blackburn in the FA Cup third round, and pitched in with another cracker in the 5-2 loss to Fulham, a game in which he also laid on the first goal for Danny Guthrie.

Ben Arfa, though, followed up against Brighton with a poor show and was then hooked at half-time at Blackburn in the league, with Perch introduced to shore things up in midfield.

Ben Arfa’s preferred choice is to play as a striker or a second striker, but his chances of getting past Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse would appear limited, while competition for places in midfield is also strong.

But Pardew threw the former Marseilles man a lifeline when he said: “He could still have a massive impact on this season, but we need to see him at his best.

“He isn’t out of the picture yet.”

Ben Arfa has made just five Premier League starts and made eight sub appearances.

The player has scored three times and provided two assists for Pardew’s side in all competitions.

Pardew used the domestic cups to give Ben Arfa a run out on his return from injury.

But with United knocked out of both competitions at the early stages, the remaining 14 league games could well decide the Frenchman’s fate one way or another.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/02/07/alan-pardew-ben-arfa-has-to-fight-for-a-place-72703-30279748/#ixzz1lhxQkLWX

Barring injuries I just cant see any way back to the first 11 for him which can only lead to a summer exit.

Jonas and Obertan have Pardews faith on the wings and no way is he getting past the dembas.

That only leaves a midfield role which seems highly unlikely.

Can any one see a way back given what we know already about team set up and preferred personnel.

The same Obertan who hasn't started any of the last 5 or 6 games? I don't think Pardew fancies either of them, truth be told.

I think he loves Obertan and I also think that he was a Pardew buy so he has more incentive to make him work. I mainly think he came under increasing pressure to slot HBA in, however that pressure has now gone.

Personally I think Obertan will go from strength to strength now.

He's got no chance of starting up top while Ba and Cisse are fit.

Not too bothered if he leaves in the summer, it would be a good idea for the club to approach PSG and offer him as part of a deal for Sakho who's supposedly dropped out of favour.

Well someones going to get a brilliant player in the summer who doesn't put him on the right wing like a knob, and we'll be left with alienhead and perch.

which was funny at the weekend when obertan was outwide edge of the box on a number of occasions, he stops looks up does some pointless stepovers, the fullback realises it's only obertan then starts tackling him, which leads to panic, with either it going back to simpson and them trying then to gain some sort of yard for a cross, or obertan putting it out for a goal kick/their throw in.

Whereas HBA drops a shoulder/stepover puts a ball in or as he did previously, beats the full back feints and scores.

The answer for me, and still is , move Jonas over to the right where he should be anyway (it's not like he's got his enrique partnership anymore), let him protect Danny "Standoff" simpson.

Putting HBA on the left where he's played many many times before, along with Santon who is better than simpson offensive and defensively anyway and let the two of them create havoc.

Newcastle is the only place Jonas has ever played on the left, including the argies, and likewise HBA on the right

We've a wierd trait of our players playing on the opposite side like.

edit> and HBA sees himself as a striker or second striker? since when? , i think Attacking midfielder has been modified to fit that journos story like.

Agree with all of that.

Well someones going to get a brilliant player in the summer who doesn't put him on the right wing like a knob, and we'll be left with alienhead and perch.

which was funny at the weekend when obertan was outwide edge of the box on a number of occasions, he stops looks up does some pointless stepovers, the fullback realises it's only obertan then starts tackling him, which leads to panic, with either it going back to simpson and them trying then to gain some sort of yard for a cross, or obertan putting it out for a goal kick/their throw in.

Whereas HBA drops a shoulder/stepover puts a ball in or as he did previously, beats the full back feints and scores.

The answer for me, and still is , move Jonas over to the right where he should be anyway (it's not like he's got his enrique partnership anymore), let him protect Danny "Standoff" simpson.

Putting HBA on the left where he's played many many times before, along with Santon who is better than simpson offensive and defensively anyway and let the two of them create havoc.

Newcastle is the only place Jonas has ever played on the left, including the argies, and likewise HBA on the right

We've a wierd trait of our players playing on the opposite side like.

edit> and HBA sees himself as a striker or second striker? since when? , i think Attacking midfielder has been modified to fit that journos story like.

Aye.

Edited by alex

Barring injuries I just cant see any way back to the first 11 for him which can only lead to a summer exit.

I don't think he'll go, he's got plenty time to work his way in & I think Pardew is trying to make that happen. I can't see where he'd go without doing something here first, probably our most talented player and people forget this is his first proper season in England.

It takes longer than a couple of starts & a few minutes from the bench for anybody & his goal/assist return is great.

Blackburn was never going to be the game for him as we bypassed the midfield for most of it by playing long ball shite & this gave Blackburn an oppurtunity to press us very heavily, if Pardew had enough confidence in Perch from the start he wouldn't have started Ben Arfa anyway.