The No. 10.

Park Life

Guest CabayeAye

I'd play Santon behind him.

For sure. Santon to RB, Simpson to the bench Raylor to left back.

Totally agree.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Taylor is an absolute liability at LB, playing him there should be avoided at all costs.

i agree, but i would be inclined to put him at right back. When HBA/Obertan needs to play the ball back down the line at the mo its a waste because simpsons crossing is horrendous. Raylor can cross a good ball in.

Either that or switch HBA to the left so he can whip the fast balls in with Santon behind him, Jonas can babysit Simmo on the right wing, he is after all right footed

Edited by Alain Pardeiux

First and foremost, a fullback needs to be able to defend. He would undoubtedly offer more going forward but as a defender I'm not convinced.

theres no doube he is a makeshift player when in the full back role but I think he is no worse at defending than Simmo, and has the edge over him going forward.

Starting him against Arsenal may be an option if we're going with just the one up top. The problem is that Arsenal are the best team in the league at keeping the ball and the way that Ben Arfa can give it away is an issue.

Ryan Taylor is an absolute liability at LB, playing him there should be avoided at all costs.

Aye he's an utter liability in defence at all, same as Perch. they do ok in midfield (Taylor is actually quite good there) as they have a back 4 behind them that can clean up their errors but when they're in defence it's only Krul left.

First and foremost, a fullback needs to be able to defend. He would undoubtedly offer more going forward but as a defender I'm not convinced.

theres no doube he is a makeshift player when in the full back role but I think he is no worse at defending than Simmo, and has the edge over him going forward.

The difference is that Simpson's got pace, meaning he's more able to repair his mistakes.

Raylor is never a full-back.

Guest CabayeAye

Taylor's shown that he can tackle though. Simpson usually doesn't bother, and just tries to get in the way.

Starting him against Arsenal may be an option if we're going with just the one up top. The problem is that Arsenal are the best team in the league at keeping the ball and the way that Ben Arfa can give it away is an issue.

Exactly, I would definitely start him if I had faith in the fullbacks. Santon is untested on the right flank and we do not own a recognised left back.

I still want HBA on the left, that initial doddling to get it off his right foot would be gone then, and it might make jonas cross the odd fcking ball properly.

Exactly, his little sidestep that we have seen him do would beat the fullback even from a static start 90% of the time, and of course his left peg is deadly. i think they should be rotated in fact depending on wether the team has center halves that are more suceptible to through balls (HBA on left, Jonas on right) or crosses (the opposite)

Aye because Santon's a bigger liability behind HBA than simpson is :rolleyes:

everyone can bring this up as often as you like but i've said it time after time our habit of playing players on the wrong side is doing us no favors.

Jonas has now spent 4years at the club taking too long on the ball, hitting the first man with his left or cutting back on his right and running into someone, hba has had to do the same but he's technically better and can get away with it.

Santon likewise is having to cut inside all the time instead of overlap and cross like Enrique used to.

Time is precious and quick balls in to the box to make cisse/ba's movement pay off is priority, especially when we're playing this god awful punting game. Delaying crosses/passes and letting a defense recover because people are on their wrong foot or have to cut inside is just plain daft.

Agree with all of that.

We should be looking to play HBA on the left or as a no. 10, Maradona style. Jonas' delivery was so poor today it was hard to believe. They need to be switched.

It's been average/poor for years.

Pardew reserved special praise, however, for Hatem Ben Arfa, who stepped off the substitutes' bench at half-time to produce an outstanding individual display full of creativity and threat in the final third.

"This guy is exceptional. I don't want our fans to start thinking I don't think this is a good player," explained Pardew.

"He is special and we have got to get him on the pitch. I've got to find a way of getting him on the pitch to play like that, because that was his best 45 minutes.

"We've got 11 games to go and he can cause some real damage. He was the big difference between the sides in terms of the technical quality.

"You need a technical player who can unlock the door - he did it about four times and we were unlucky not to get a goal in those moments. It was a big game for him."