Newcastle may delay striker signing until summer

Lake Bells tits

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leazes, would you agree with Spurs' transfer policy?

answer the question.

PS - I'm not interested in Spurs, I'm talking about NUFC

You want a trophy signing, don't you?

do you mean the sort of signings (note the plural) that gets you into europe regularly, like the clubs that get into europe regularly do ?

When are you going to put some of your cash into supporting the club ?

Edited by LeazesMag

I often wonder about the "trophy

Signings" tag. Which of our signings would you call that? Shearer? Well worth £15M. Owen? Obviously not. Viana was a flop but was hardly a trophy signing? Robert? I'd say he was worth it.

Who else?

In essence (in my view anyway) it just refers to any established player we paid the going rate for on the assumption that they would come here and repeat their performances elsewhere simply on the basis we'd paid the money and nothing else-as if that alone was some sort of guarantee and we could say "oh well we backed the manager". Football at the top level doesn't work like that. The truth is there were long periods where players would come here and become instantly demotivated/have no respect for the set up they encountered and that's the side of things we got wrong because we were a shambles behind the scenes with politics/press/ownership etc. When you're paying the same if not more money to a player whos come from a club where standards are far more rigorously enforced, they end up thinking you're a joke, it's just human nature. You can't let that aspect drop for five minutes as a top club or you're finished.

We've gone full circle now, we demand a lot from our playing staff for peanuts (in relative terms), which means players will eventually be tempted elsewhere when the wage offers beat our own. We all know this. We've been getting a lot out of them though and that's exactly what we should be entitled to expect, it has to become endemic within the fabric of the club and what all new players find on their arrival here.

New arrivals is a different matter altogether though as the thread title shows and why it would be an even bigger waste if we dont capitalise on the club's positive steps by adding now. That's my main criticism of the fat bastard as things currently stand.

Edited by manc-mag

Genuine question - will there be any appologists left to defend our transfer policy and "long term perspective" If we fail to sign anyone other than an average defender this window?

Our non-existent willingness to spend combined with Pardews stubbornness in regards to an outdated tactic ( with our wingers) and failure to use his best players are bringing me beyond the point of outrage -- its making me indifferent.

My ability to care is already waning, lets hope it picks up..

Genuine question - will there be any appologists left to defend our transfer policy and "long term perspective" If we fail to sign anyone other than an average defender this window?

Our non-existent willingness to spend combined with Pardews stubbornness in regards to an outdated tactic ( with our wingers) and failure to use his best players are bringing me beyond the point of outrage -- its making me indifferent.

My ability to care is already waning, lets hope it picks up..

Youre conflating several different things there to predicate your imminent indifference on ie you want several signings and new tactics, whereas I suspect you realise we've got to where we are now by taking quite small steps.

It's fine you wanting to justify your 'ability to care' waning, but if that's the case I'd be interested to know when your 'ability to care' actually began? I get an overwhelming sense you've only been following us a couple years and if that's the case you need to quickly come round to the understanding you're going to need a lot more patience than that before this club delivers anything for you. Take a more generalist approach by all means and say: "Ashley out" etc etc but I just don't see the point in slagging a manager that's done a decent job in creating a work ethic that the club sees only in flashes about once a decade.

Ive been a fan since around 1995, but you are right that Ive only been an "active fan" for the past.. 3-4 years. Im not looking for trophys man, we will probably never win anything ever again.

What I would like to see is talented players given a chance, a manager able to pick up on what work and does not work and adapt accordingly, as well as a minimum of amibition only stretching to replacing 10-mill sales with lets say a talented youngster coming up for a few mill?

The reasons for my frustration atm is

A, 4-4-2

B, Obertan and Jonas being automatic starters regardless of form

C, No interest in containing players both publicly and in effect

D, The whole HBA and Santon situation ( see B)

E, half a billion cashed in on player sales, funds available for perhaps a 4 million pound defender

F, Perch, simpson and Raylor ( see D )

G, No striker

Edited by Lake Bells tits