The Official Liverpool FC vs Newcastle United FC Match Thread

Monroe Transfer

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same result as the Man City game but could hardly have been a more different performance. To begin going with 5 in midfield showed negativity when 4-4-2 has worked so nicely for us, and it was no surprise Reina didnt have to make a single save during the game.

I thought Tiote did well at times showing composure and distributed it around nicely. Mind you he does give away some silly freekicks that often cost us. Ba did ok too everytime he got into the game with little flick ons etc and the one chance he got he nearly scored. There just wasnt any service of note to him. Nobody else deserves even a mention from yesterday.

Jonas' situation has become very sad to be honest. His game seems to have gone completely off. Dont know to what extent Taylor's incompetence is responsible for this but he needs to try and realize his role is more than running back and making fouls.

Shouldn't even bother going into Ubertwat again, ok I cant help it .......HE'S SHITE, ABSOULTE SHITE, GAVE THE BALL AWAY A MLILLION TIMES, HIS PASSING IS ATROCIOUS AND HE'S SHITE SCARED OF RUNNING AT PEOPLE, WHAT A PATHETIC PIECE OF CRAP!!!!........................sorry needed to let that out somewhere..........

Hate to be critizing Pardew right now but it becoming clear he's a very stubborn man. The sad part about yesterday was that Liverpool were mostly crap and were really there for the taking if we had shown even a tiny bit of adventure.

Edited by aimaad22

Guest CabayeAye

We need a RB

We need a LB, a CB, a RW and a CF.

That way we can line up in January:

Krul

Santon Colo New CB New LB

New RW Tiote Cabaye Jonas

Ben Arfa

New CF

With the new CB and CF competing with Saylor and Ba once they return.

Half way in the season and on 30 points. Who wouldn't take 60 in May? The unbeaten run has raised expectations among some ridiculously so.

Spot on

BTW I thought Tiote was shite (again) last night. Culpable for 3rd goal, ridiculous pass to Simpson (one of the few he managed to a B&W shirt all night) and then just let Gerrard meander past him. Torches and pitchforks would be out if someone like Perch had done that.

IF someone offered £20-25 Mill I'd take their hands off. He's not an integral/indispensable part of our midfield "on current form", on last season's form aye, this season, no way. Proof of that is that there was no drop off when he was injured and Guthrie came in.

Was all for giving Obertan time as he's young, but think he needs a rest for his own good, was abysmal last night. Williamson did pretty well I thought.

I don't criticise the choice to start a 5 man midfield either, shame Vukic had a poor game, flashed enough last week to be given a game but all 3 centre midfielders were varying degree's of poor last night.

Edited by Toonpack

Guest CabayeAye

Half way in the season and on 30 points. Who wouldn't take 60 in May? The unbeaten run has raised expectations among some ridiculously so.

Spot on

BTW I thought Tiote was shite (again) last night. Culpable for 3rd goal, ridiculous pass to Simpson (one of the few he managed to a B&W shirt all night) and then just let Gerrard meander past him. Torches and pitchforks would be out if someone like Perch had done that.

IF someone offered £20-25 Mill I'd take their hands off. He's not an integral/indispensable part of our midfield "on current form", on last season's form aye, this season, no way. Proof of that is that there was no drop off when he was injured and Guthrie came in.

Was all for giving Obertan time as he's young, but think he needs a rest for his own good, was abysmal last night. Williamson did pretty well I thought.

I don't criticise the choice to start a 5 man midfield either, shame Vukic had a poor game, flashed enough last week to be given a game but all 3 centre midfielders were varying degree's of poor last night.

Agreed. The five man midfield was just ineffectual. We play much better in a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-4-2 with Ba right up and a link man. Ba was just starved of service last night without someone who could feed him the right balls.

Taking 60 points by May would require another impressive unbeaten run comparable to the start of the season though. So by giving that target your expectations would have to remain that high too. Odd.

It won't happen because the confidence that winning breeds has been shot to shit now. That feeling of self-belief is difficult to get back.....after dropping so many points to the likes of wba, Swansea and Norwich. On current form we'll do well to break 50....and i'll be happy with that if we do.

Edited by Happy Face

It will take a massive turn around to get to 60 points now.

We had some exceptional results early in the season and a deeper squad and some better starting lineup selections would have meant we could now be in a strong position to capitalise on that start. Now it looks like the good start will mean we can coast the season without the worry of relegation and probably end up finishing around 10th.

It will be heralded as an improvement but we will nonetheless be left feeling it could have been more.

On last nights game. After sleeping on a bad result normally I wake up feeling that things aren't that bad and we can move on quickly. Not today. I am still pissed. Pardew needs to pick Ben Arfa and Santon from the start and Obertan needs to be dropped for who ever, seriously anyone. Simply put, Pardew is costing us points with his pig headed approach.

Can someone explain to me why Obertan is preferred to Ben Arfa on the wing? I don't see it. I don't see what Obertan offers that is greater than, or even equal to, what Ben Arfa could bring to the team in any department, both in attack and defence.

Edited by toonotl

Halfway and on 30 points, Yes. The problem is on current form we will do well to get 45. The same people ridiculing pessimists for being unhappy with 30 points are the same ones slapping on another 30 come end of the season.

Pardew has been found out, tactics arent working anymore and form is starting to drop individually ( jonas ) or was never there ( obertan, perch, best).

I thought we looked composed last night up until around 40 yards, which is where the lack of creativity became evident. a Ben arfa there with a dribble and a pass to Ba would have made all the difference.

By the time he came on ( 65 minutes) Liverpool were already upshifting gearwise and it was too late.

We had some exceptional results early in the season and a deeper squad and some better starting lineup selections would have meant we could now be in a strong position to capitalise on that start. Now it looks like the good start will mean we can coast the season without the worry of relegation and probably end up finishing around 10th.

It will be heralded as an improvement but we will nonetheless be left feeling it could have been more.

On last nights game. After sleeping on a bad result normally I wake up feeling that things aren't that bad and we can move on quickly. Not today. I am still pissed. Pardew needs to pick Ben Arfa and Santon from the start and Obertan needs to be dropped for who ever, seriously anyone. Simply put, Pardew is costing us points with his pig headed approach.

Can someone explain to me why Obertan is preferred to Ben Arfa on the wing? I don't see it. I don't see what Obertan offers that is greater than, or even equal to, what Ben Arfa could bring to the team in any department, both in attack and defence.

Ben arfa touched the ball once in 30 minutes last night.

Did I miss something where he showed obertan how its done?

Because Pardew doesnt see Ben arfa as a winger ( god knows why, he has played there with success before), leaving Obertan the only RW choice we have.

Guest CabayeAye

Because Pardew doesnt see Ben arfa as a winger ( god knows why, he has played there with success before), leaving Obertan the only RW choice we have.

I'd rather put Graham Carr's fancy son on the wing rather than that lightbulb headed twunt!

Edited by CabayeAye

Ben arfa touched the ball once in 30 minutes last night.

Did I miss something where he showed obertan how its done?

I am not prepared to judge Ben Arfa to harshly on cameo substitute appearances. If you are then more power to you. Granted Ben Arfa didn't do much last night, but he has done enough to show he deserves a spot in the brief moments he has had this season more than Obertan has done in the 18 or whatever games he has started.

We have CMs sitting too deep, no wingers and Ba alone up top. Its no wonder we looked like a deer in the headlights when we approached the 40-yard box. No Creativity whatsoever.By the time Ben Arfa came on, we had already lost momentum and he was left with 0 service.

We have CMs sitting too deep, no wingers and Ba alone up top. Its no wonder we looked like a deer in the headlights when we approached the 40-yard box. No Creativity whatsoever.By the time Ben Arfa came on, we had already lost momentum and he was left with 0 service.

thought we looked better second half than in the first....and vuckic attempted 30 passes in an hour to Barfas 6 in half an hour. Much more impact from the youngun and vindicated a Start over le strop.

Can we stop counting ( backward and sideways) passes and start looking for quality instead?

Vukcic looked out of his depth and I hope he is never started in an away match vs a top6-team again. At home vs shite teams - give the lad 20-30 minutes. Thats what we are giving Ben arfa now so.. :P

Can we stop counting ( backward and sideways) passes and start looking for quality instead?

Vukcic looked out of his depth and I hope he is never started in an away match vs a top6-team again. At home vs shite teams - give the lad 20-30 minutes. Thats what we are giving Ben arfa now so.. :P

possession holding backwards and sideways passes are a good thing, especially away from home. Especially with a lone target man who's not going to hold the ball up or latch on to every single defence splitting pass you seem to expect.

possession holding backwards and sideways passes are a good thing, especially away from home. Especially with a lone target man who's not going to hold the ball up or latch on to every single defence splitting pass you seem to expect.

Whos saying that not a good thing? It is certainly a good thing but its not the only metric to measure a player's ability by and regardless of that it borders on completely irrelevant when the amount of time you're measuring it over is 30 minutes. Not much in the context of a season. Wouldn't you agree?

Considering Ben Arfa scored last week and looked the goods criticising him this week for a poor performance is just dumb. It seems like the people saying 'he's not the messiah we all expected' based on one poor performance are in fact those who thought he would be prior and that has changed because of last night for some reason. Talk about over reaction. Perhaps there are some here who feel a little silly?

Edited by toonotl

Did anyone else think we're just too slow moving the ball about? everytime we go to move forward every pass is met with a stop/look around/decide what to do/start trying to pass, we've no quick 1-2 touch passes at all

Obertan - gets the ball looks up, does some step overs passes it backwards

Cabaye - gets the ball looks up, starts to get closed down so sprays it from deep or passes it backwards

Tiote - endlessly spins/turns around before passing it backwards (how people haven't caught onto his david batty trait i do not know)

and so on and do forth.

We've very little in the pass/move give/go department asides from jonas who has no end product to match his engine unfortunately, why i quite like sammy, he's all enthusiasm and have a go, he tries to take a defender on and get a cross in etc.

Definitely. Krul saw way to much of the ball as it kept being funneled back to him as there was no forward option to pass to and the responsibility for that lies, at least in part, on Vuckic. Especially in the first half where he couldn't get in the game at all.

Ridiculous comment.

Probably close to fair comment in the first 30 minutes in that he looked like he wasn't ready for the challenge. But he came into the game more after that and looked quite good. He was probably just nervous early on, can't blame him.

Whos saying that not a good thing? It is certainly a good thing but its not the only metric to measure a player's ability by and regardless of that it borders on completely irrelevant when the amount of time you're measuring it over is 30 minutes. Not much in the context of a season. Wouldn't you agree?

Considering Ben Arfa scored last week and looked the goods criticising him this week for a poor performance is just dumb. It seems like the people saying 'he's not the messiah we all expected' based on one poor performance are in fact those who thought he would be prior and that has changed because of last night for some reason. Talk about over reaction.

considering obertan created goals against Bolton and wba it must be dumb to criticise his performance too...if you're being fair.

Ridiculous comment.

I think he means this season. Not forever, I'm sure he gets ready for the big teams in a few years.

Considering Ben Arfa scored last week and looked the goods criticising him this week for a poor performance is just dumb. It seems like the people saying 'he's not the messiah we all expected' based on one poor performance are in fact those who thought he would be prior and that has changed because of last night for some reason. Talk about over reaction.

considering obertan created goals against Bolton and wba it must be dumb to criticise his performance too...if you're being fair.

Obertan performing well is the exception not the rule. So even though he is due his credit when it is warranted, it is often given with a sense of suprise rather than as a clear vindication of his qualities as a footballer. Similarly, Ben Arfa is criticised for the opposite reasons, I imagine, I'm not so quick to judge as some. I think that is fair. Unless. Are you seriously suggesting that Obertan man-for-man is a better footballer than Ben Arfa? Would Ben Arfa not be a better option on the wing? Ignoring stats and the like for just a moment, I find them meaningless for the most part, just from your impression of him as a footballer.